CNET just posted their DTEK50 review on YouTube and the guy was almost asleep through it! He scoffed about the security improvements with no real reasons. He didn't even mention what the DTEK app actually does!

I know software companies sometimes release beta software, but CNET just released an 'alpha' review.

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    Barbareren likes this.
    08-17-16 12:08 AM
    Lol
    08-17-16 12:09 AM
    Plus calling it "Alcatel's new BlackBerry smartphone" lol

Attachment 406640

 Passport/SQW100-3  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    Jaiden likes this.
    08-17-16 12:26 AM
    He completely wrote it off as just another Android phone it seems. He didn't even delve into what the BlackBerry Launcher has to offer, and the fact that he assumed that Blackberry's security was mainly in the form of an app permissions checker just shows how little research he did on what added security there is.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    sidtek50 likes this.
    08-17-16 12:38 AM
    He completely wrote it off as just another Android phone it seems. He didn't even delve into what the BlackBerry Launcher has to offer, and the fact that he assumed that Blackberry's security was mainly in the form of an app permissions checker just shows how little research he did on what added security there is.

Especially sad since CNET just orgasmed all over the note 7. How many weeks of man power it took for them to do what they did for it.

08-17-16 12:55 AM
    The problem is that the dtek app is actually very poor. It's a glorified checklist. It's not special. However if you look beyond that and look at the following features such as the hardened kernel, the root of trust which ensures a secure boot, the encryption on by default, the quick security patches (Blackberry was the first to patch the quadrooter vulnerability). Then you look at the scratch resistant screen, fast charging, how light it is... need I go on? The phone has a lot to offer and reviewers are being completely unfair if they're overlooking these things.
    08-17-16 01:01 AM
    The problem is that the dtek app is actually very poor. It's a glorified checklist. It's not special. However if you look beyond that and look at the following features such as the hardened kernel, the root of trust which ensures a secure boot, the encryption on by default, the quick security patches (Blackberry was the first to patch the quadrooter vulnerability). Then you look at the scratch resistant screen, fast charging, how light it is... need I go on? The phone has a lot to offer and reviewers are being completely unfair if they're overlooking these things.
    I agree for the most part, but the DTEK app is essential to see which apps are using which permissions, and how often they use theories not just another way to change permissions. It's informing the user about which permissions are being abused.

damien kupuku likes this.
    08-17-16 01:07 AM
    CNET just posted their DTEK50 review on YouTube and the guy was almost asleep through it! He scoffed about the security improvements with no real reasons. He didn't even mention what the DTEK app actually does!

I know software companies sometimes release beta software, but CNET just released an 'alpha' review.

CNET used to be my go to for reviews but it's been years since I've visited their site due to nepotism being the hiring model in place of most qualified. The reviewers that work there are a joke!
    Don't take CNET. Reviews seriously, in fact I forgot they even did that lol.

Posted via CB10
    wilber1, Flatman, bh7171 and 1 others like this.
    08-17-16 05:57 AM
    Time to go down vote that crap!

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-17-16 06:36 AM
    You mean this video?

Cause I don't hear what your saying. Isn't true though that it is an Alcatel that happens to have BlackBerry enhancements?
    Isn't it also true that is is mid range?
    You know I agree CNET seems to be run by Apple fanboys, but a lot of the issues of any new thing from BlackBerry will be that it will have to ride on others hardware as they are primarily a software company (some Chen guy said that).
    And let's be honest this is not a a Note or iOS killer. It's a fleet phone for departments or large entities. BlackBerry ceded its consumer connections due to complacency and failure to recognize an emerging trend.
    But again I think the DTEK50 is a middle of the road mid pack phone in a long line of Android phones.
    When you can get a Moto G4 on Amazon for 149 and you show me this with the word security slapped all over it...the average consumer just doesn't give a damn.
    Does it play or run the app of the week? Yes.
    But this other phone is cheaper, faster and water resistant?
    Then yes...the DTEK is just another mid range phone.
    Until BlackBerry releases a top of the line (not Porshe design bs either) these are the reviews and comments to expect.
    The market is Samsung and the others vs. iPhone. In order to stand out to any public interest which I would suggest is not what this phone is, you will get the same luke warm reception. That reason as well is BB's lackadisical action over the prior years is what warrants this reaction.
    And no, I'm not a hater. I'm using a Passport and I am looking at the DTEK with really no wow interest. Slight curiosity, but there is nothing that grabs me like the Z10 did for all touch.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 07:13 AM
    In researching phones and tablets I have found CNET not to be as reliable as it used to be years ago. I hope other consumers will look at a variety of websites and reviews, and be open minded. Having said that, there is a lot of negative comments about BlackBerry Android devices on the Android Central posts too. Just have to sift thru and try to find the facts , such as performance, battery life, security, durability, memory etc etc.

Posted via my Priv
    duckduke and CDM76 like this.
    08-17-16 07:14 AM
    How do you apply the security patch? Still on July 5. Thanks.

08-17-16 07:22 AM
    You mean this video?

Cause I don't hear what your saying. Isn't true though that it is an Alcatel that happens to have BlackBerry enhancements?
    You know I agree CNET seems to be run by Apple fanboys, but a lot of the issues of any new thing from BlackBerry will be that it will have to ride on others hardware as they are primarily a software company (some Chen guy said that).
    And let's be honest this is not a a Note or iOS killer. It's a fleet phone for departments or large entities. BlackBerry ceded its consumer connections due to complacency and failure to recognize an emerging trend.
    But again I think the DTEK50 is a middle of the road mid pack phone in a long line of Android phones.
    When you can get a Moto G4 on Amazon for 149 and you show me this with the word security slapped all over it...the average consumer just doesn't give a damn.
    Until BlackBerry releases a top of the line (not Porshe design bs either) these are the reviews and comments to expect.
    The market is Samsung and the others vs. iPhone. In order to stand out to any public interest which I would suggest is not what this phone is, you will get the same luke warm reception. That reason as well is BB's lackadisical action over the prior years is what warrants this reaction.
    And no, I'm not a hater. I'm using a Passport and I am looking at the DTEK with really no wow interest. Slight curiosity, but there is nothing that grabs me like the Z10 did for all touch.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely agree! I am hoping for a real flagship phone from BlackBerry cause this clone is just average at best.

Posted via CB10
    Flatman and Carl Estes like this.
    08-17-16 07:49 AM
    You mean this video?

Posted via CB10
    I get what you're saying but for one...this is a reference design supplied by parent company TCL. The reason everyone thinks it's an Alcatel clone is because Alcatel was the first to display this design before TCL partnered with BlackBerry to release theirs.

Secondly, what makes any phone stand out in this price range? There's a reason the Moto G4 is cheap, ever used one of their mid range or low range phones? They run like garbage, they have terrible battery life, they come with as low as 8GB storage, and over time they slow down even more. Let's not get into build quality, because if people complain about Dtek's build quality , they should really hate on moto's build quality far more.

I know of several people who continually own Moto's because they can't afford better phones, and to them it makes sense to buy a cheap phone and try their luck. They're actually spending more because every 6 months to a year they are replacing that cheap garbage with more cheap garbage.

In my opinion, the Dtek is the lowest BlackBerry should go to offer a phone, any lower and they risk jeopardizing their image even further

Posted via CB10
    PantherBlitz and Barbareren like this.
    08-17-16 08:37 AM
    I wouldn't trust CNET reviews. They said about passport as so so device when it is still to this date best phone ever made

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    08-17-16 09:08 AM
    this is why I like mobile nations.

Each OS has it's own website. So if you like BB you come here, and android central has android. There's no people from iMore reviewing the Priv and hating it. It's just android and BB reviewing android phones they love.

I like the Mobile Nations method because people arent biased when reviewing another os or handset maker.

other sites just go the way of iVerge, iBGR and CNET, while CB stays how CB always was.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    08-17-16 09:13 AM
    I get what you're saying but for one...this is a reference design supplied by parent company TCL. The reason everyone thinks it's an Alcatel clone is because Alcatel was the first to display this design before TCL partnered with BlackBerry to release theirs.

Secondly, what makes any phone stand out in this price range? There's a reason the Moto G4 is cheap, ever used one of their mid range or low range phones? They run like garbage, they have terrible battery life, they come with as low as 8GB storage, and over time they slow down even more. Let's not get into build quality, because if people complain about Dtek's build quality , they should really hate on moto's build quality far more.

I know of several people who continually own Moto's because they can't afford better phones, and to them it makes sense to buy a cheap phone and try their luck. They're actually spending more because every 6 months to a year they are replacing that cheap garbage with more cheap garbage.

In my opinion, the Dtek is the lowest BlackBerry should go to offer a phone, any lower and they risk jeopardizing their image even further

Posted via CB10
    To be fair, that G4 Plus is the same price as the DTEK50 and basically identical specs.

Attachment 406649
    Attachment 406650

08-17-16 09:17 AM
    bb to moto? may be should go for moto to blue... 199 will go far even.
    08-17-16 09:26 AM
    Cnet is the Swiss army knife of tech with no blade particularly sharp. Not sure where their reviewers come from but my feeling is, it's like when networks began promoting their weather people to being film critics. They're just reporting what they've heard from others mixed in with trying to find something clever to say.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    08-17-16 09:35 AM
    Cnet is the Swiss army knife of tech with no blade particularly sharp. Not sure where their reviewers come from but my feeling is, it's like when networks began promoting their weather people to being film critics. They're just reporting what they've heard from others mixed in with trying to find something clever to say.
    They went downhill once they lost Tom Merritt, Ver�nica Belmont and Molly Wood. Btw, Tom has the best tech news podcast.

08-17-16 09:47 AM
    I try and avoid CNET whenever possible. They have become horrible to browse due to ads and simply show poor judgement in their editorial decisions.

They have mastered the new internet traffic generating technique: anger readers/viewers and get them to spread hyperlinks to their work as a form of protest. If links were spread only for meritorious work, their audience would be effectively nil.
    Barbareren and CDM76 like this.
    08-17-16 10:07 AM
    I'm pretty sure CNET just puts CBS interns on the air to do reviews. It is drive by Internet drek . Aside from Brian Tong there is no talent on CNET.

RumoredNow likes this.
    08-17-16 10:12 AM
    I meant this phone:
    The Motorola "Moto G (4th Generation) - Black - 32 GB - Unlocked - Prime Exclusive - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads" on Amazon is 179.99.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-17-16 11:11 AM
    How do you apply the security patch? Still on July 5. Thanks.

It just popped up on my phone today whilst I saw connected to the Web. It should pop up soon on yours if it hasn't already
    08-17-16 11:27 AM
    I meant this phone:
    The Motorola "Moto G (4th Generation) - Black - 32 GB - Unlocked - Prime Exclusive - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads" on Amazon is 179.99.
    CNET's review of the Moto G

THE GOOD The Moto G4's big, bold screen and junk-free software make it a pleasure to use throughout the day. Its ability to survive a dunking will appeal to the clumsy among us.
    THE BAD Processor performance is great for everyday tasks, but gamers will want to shop elsewhere.
    THE BOTTOM LINE With its big, bold screen, water-resistant design and rock-bottom price, the Moto G4 is a dazzling deal.

I've seen a few reviews of some of these lower end phones with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 617, most reviewers don't seem to like it.

If the DTEK50 was priced solely on it's hardware (@ $200)... it might get a better reception from some of these reviewers (even Android Central).

The DTEK50 is about security and enterprise sales... those of you looking for acceptance in the general consumer world are just asking to be disappointed. Now if by some magic you get someone doing a review with a focus on enterprise deployments where budget is a concern.... you'll probably get a much different impression of the phone.
    08-17-16 11:30 AM
102 123 ...