Just IMHO, the DTEK50 is going to be something that IT managers take a hard look at deploying as a fleet phone. Why do I say that? Well, there are several things that might do it:

a) Price- $299, compared to $800 for an iPhone, or $500-900 for other Android offering. Bean-Counters will rejoice.
    b) Security- I think we are not appreciating this facet as much as it should be appreciated, especially in this day and age of the phone/database hacks. I think that feature will endear itself to IT/Purchasing managers who have to deploy secure infrastructure in a corporate environment. Same with Government.
    c) Fast updates for security patches, see b) above.
    d) It is Android, and there are a lot of apps out there.

Remember in the long run the bean-counters have a great deal of sway over what phones are deployed, sometimes even more so than the IT guys.
    Johnny Dollar, kitmo, Nels and 8 others like this.
    07-31-16 04:05 PM
    Thank you for writing that. I'm getting sick of all the 'dtek50 is just another slab android why blah blah blah'. Far from it....i don't know why people are so narrow sighted. This is about BlackBerry offering an affordable secure android device that can be marketed to enterprise as well as consumers.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-16 04:09 PM
    Thank you for writing that. I'm getting sick of all the 'dtek50 is just another slab android why blah blah blah'. Far from it....i don't know why people are so narrow sighted. This is about BlackBerry offering an affordable secure android device that can be marketed to enterprise as well as consumers.

Posted via CB10
    Narrow sighted because they don't understand how Business and Government work and operate. People like to live in TV commercials.

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    07-31-16 04:47 PM
    Add:
    e) It does not need the latest mondo-maxi processor and 8 gb of ram since it is not a gaming phone, but a business/enterprise phone for productivity.

I just thought about that later as my wife was fussing at the kids for gaming on the phone.
    gruv4u likes this.
    07-31-16 04:54 PM
    No one else thinks anything about this?
    08-02-16 06:30 AM
    I've mentioned this before in other threads. You are right, and at the low end, I don't see a comparison with the Idol4, and given the choice, I can't see any IT manager picking the Alcatel over the BlackBerry. They may pick an S7 or isomething, but if they are thinking about cost, this is likely where they will land.

I'll add that this could also be good for BlackBerry because if the DTEK becomes your work phone, and it is good enough (which it is) as well as Android, that will have people less likely to use a second personal phone.
    gruv4u likes this.
    08-02-16 07:07 AM
    Although it may not be intended for gaming etc, it's going to have to as far as consumers go or it will JUST be a fleet phone and people are liable to still buy a second phone. I hope it does well and I get what you are saying from an it and bean counter perspective. As I've read here many times though, BlackBerry started out just like that and gained a following in the consumer market because it was the best thing out there and people loved their �work� phones

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    kbrant64 likes this.
    08-02-16 08:02 AM
    Just IMHO, the DTEK50 is going to be something that IT managers take a hard look at deploying as a fleet phone. Why do I say that? Well, there are several things that might do it:

a) Price- $299, compared to $800 for an iPhone, or $500-900 for other Android offering. Bean-Counters will rejoice.
    b) Security- I think we are not appreciating this facet as much as it should be appreciated, especially in this day and age of the phone/database hacks. I think that feature will endear itself to IT/Purchasing managers who have to deploy secure infrastructure in a corporate environment. Same with Government.

Remember in the long run the bean-counters have a great deal of sway over what phones are deployed, sometimes even more so than the IT guys.
    Agree

This is a fleet phone not a consumer phone. Many articles I see really don't get that.

Honestly I'd be very happy with one if my company gave it to me.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    08-02-16 09:33 AM
    Hello,

Honestly, a phone like this seemed like it would have been the better entry into the Android World.

Leading with a high-priced PRIV, that didn't have the bugs worked out seemed like a bad idea in retrospect.

The lower price "fleet" device could appeal to that market, as well as providing people eager to try something new with a lower barrier to entry ($300), and THEN come out with a polished higher end device.

KAM
    pizzawheel, SolarBear28 and Xeak like this.
    08-02-16 09:42 AM

a) This will make some happy. But then do you know what they are paying for iPhones and other Android offerings? If those phones are bought via a Carrier are then being HEAVILY subsidized? Then the issue becomes does the carrier of choice carry the DTEK50?

b) fully agree for those customers that are looking at security (and not just basic management)... this phone will be on the top of many an IT manager's list. Until someone brings up... didn't BlackBerry just make us switch from BBOS to BB10. How long will they keep making Android phones? Those IT Managers have to have some level of trust that Chen isn't just testing this Android solution.... and all Chen has is "if we can make money...".

c) Fast security patches... dependant on, see b) above. (if they don't make money, and don't stay in hardware... so much for updates)

d) It is Android.... there are lots of options out there. Army SOF to Trade in Its Androids for iPhones | DoD Buzz

I think in today's world, Security is more about the Management and less about the hardware.

But that's my view in the US market... in other markets where the DTEK50 isn't competing against subsidised phones,.. maybe there will be a "niche" that will chose it.
    kbrant64 and Sparksx like this.
    08-02-16 09:56 AM
    As far as I remember, BlackBerry has been hanging the 'business phone' tag to most if not all of the models which they created, especially the recent ones. And so that's how BlackBerry got to where it is now, which is not a good place for a mobile phone producer.

So save the business phone story. It's only an excuse when BB fails to meet what the consumers want.

Posted from my Passport
    08-02-16 10:16 AM
    Lets hope they (IT Managers) get over the Medieval BlackBerry Image that most people have.. Only then they might give it a go and order some.
    08-02-16 10:19 AM

Posted via CB10

Your points are all well and good. -BUT- BlackBerry themselves are muddying the waters somewhat by declaring this a device for both consumers and business.

Just throwing it out there but if BlackBerry was consistent in their message that this is a business phone alone then consumers might get past what some perceive as a weak device.....for consumers.

IMO BlackBerry continues to be weak in marketing and strong in allowing their engineers to decide what the consumer needs, as opposed to wants.

If it's an IT market they're after then state that clearly. BlackBerry wants to suck and blow at the same time, and that strategy will backfire.

apologies for the weird formatting..
    08-02-16 10:44 AM
    I agree with the OP... the only problem is that a lot of companies have moved away from BlackBerry in the last 2-4 years, meaning they recently pushed out all new phones in that time.

Will a company move back to BlackBerry to save $200 a piece when they just spent the $500-$700? They may want to wait a year or two until new phones are 'needed'

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 10:52 AM
    I agree with the OP... the only problem is that a lot of companies have moved away from BlackBerry in the last 2-4 years, meaning they recently pushed out all new phones in that time.

Will a company move back to BlackBerry to save $200 a piece when they just spent the $500-$700? They may want to wait a year or two until new phones are 'needed'

Posted via CB10
    Yes...this is the problem. Now that companies have "moved on" it's hard to turn back on the new investment. A lot of companies have moved to iPhone....mine has. I haven't seen a BlackBerry in the Corp environment since 2011. It's all iPhones now....and for reference I have worked as a contractor in defense and mortgage banking. From a consumer standpoint all I see people carrying is Samsung Galaxy and iPhone..and for reference I live in the DFW area in Texas. If BlackBerry wants to be relevant again ...even if it's just security they need to market the product. People get tired of using the same old device and BlackBerry needs to be positioned to capture that customer when they are mulling over options for their next phone. Go to any carrier store in my area and ask what they recommend....it's always iPhone or Samsung Galaxy is the way to go. Most of the younger employees don't even know what BlackBerry is!!!!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-02-16 11:21 AM
    Companies replace devices at varying intervals. This mobile smartphone would meet 100 percent of businesses user needs and 90 percent of consumers. The 617, when optimized with software, is smooth and fast. What most media outlets say when writing is when a chipset is stressed heavily. The reality is that most (I said most) do not and would not use their devices regularly in this way. This device, in my opinion, is a great move by BlackBerry and one their sales people can go to bat with in sales pitches. And we should be aware large orders would very likely include volume discounts making the device make even more financial sense. If one has ever worked in a very large corporate environment they are ALWAYS looking for areas to cut costs. ALWAYS-
    PygmySurfer likes this.
    08-02-16 11:26 AM
    Android and iPhone took over because consumers wanted them and then
    BYOD happened. Now there are fleets of both being issued at all levels.

Is Blackberry just focusing on government and company contracts outside the US?

I can see if so, since Verizon is not supported. Or are IT managers, who may have
    bulk contracts with Verizon going to dump their service provider, which might also
    include corporate data lines, call managers, etc.. because the company wants
    to move users from a iPhone or Samsung to a DTEK50?

Also, the more secure setups also has to include BES, but BES12 is agnostic
    to the handset. So BB might sell additional BES offerings and gain some profit.
    But that does not equate to handset sales, and a platform that consumers would choose
    over their current choices.
    08-02-16 12:26 PM
    I think this device looks good, the price is good as well and if performance will be without lag, then I will own one. I still have my Z10 I have used Galaxy S7 recently and Dtek50 seems a little taller and wider than S7. I would personally make the screen 4.7 to 5 inches, then for me it would be perfect!
    08-02-16 01:26 PM
    I think this device looks good, the price is good as well and if performance will be without lag, then I will own one. I still have my Z10 I have used Galaxy S7 recently and Dtek50 seems a little taller and wider than S7. I would personally make the screen 4.7 to 5 inches, then for me it would be perfect!
    Screen is 5.2 inches compared to the S7 5.1 inches.

But you are comparing a low in midgrade phone to a flagship phone....
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    08-02-16 01:59 PM

Nothing against Dtek50...just like smaller screen phones. Guess will have to see in person to know for sure.
    08-02-16 02:18 PM

You miss the whole point, people like to carp.....period. If the phone was solid gold and had a super computer in it someone would complain that its not platinum. As for some people mentioning going from a Priv to a the next phone, this is the kind of thinking that keeps Apple number one. A one year old phone traded in or put a side for the next shiny ball of tin. I have a Priv and will use it until its dead or no longer updated. As for the New phone, it looks great, but in a crowded field of BOGO's and other options this phone will have issues. While for some security is an issue, for the mainstream user its bells and whistles......BlackBerry users tend to be different. Even bazaar at times but they love their phones. As for the statement about the phone being another Android Slab, in reality that's all it is, looks just like a few on the market right now at a much lower price. The New Blu comes to mind on Amazon....................looks very close and 99 bucks.........a hard price point to go against. In the end I hope this works out the more phones on the market the more companies have to stay on their toes.

People will also chime in that this is for the Corporate/Government user. That's very true, but in the end these users upgrade on very slow cycles. Just ask Microsoft, long after Windows XP was past its prime they had to support it. Why? Because the big users did not upgrade to the next OS. Even now the large users still by far have Windows 7 so the real hope is the consumer market. This is were they need to get someone to name these phones with something a lot more catchy.......I mean really................Priv.................in the military sounds like the term for bathroom..................and this next phone......the name is not really a show stopper either..........................

BlackBerry Always On..............Slightly Off!!
    Attached Thumbnails Amid all the negatives, are we forgetting something....-61ppeup8zol._sl1000_.jpg   Amid all the negatives, are we forgetting something....-go.redirectingat.com.png  
    IndianTiwari and Bbnivende like this.
    08-02-16 02:34 PM
    You miss the whole point, people like to carp.....period. If the phone was solid gold and had a super computer in it someone would complain that its not platinum. As for some people mentioning going from a Priv to a the next phone, this is the kind of thinking that keeps Apple number one. A one year old phone traded in or put a side for the next shiny ball of tin. I have a Priv and will use it until its dead or no longer updated. As for the New phone, it looks great, but in a crowded field of BOGO's and other options this phone will have issues. While for some security is an issue, for the mainstream user its bells and whistles......BlackBerry users tend to be different. Even bazaar at times but they love their phones. As for the statement about the phone being another Android Slab, in reality that's all it is, looks just like a few on the market right now at a much lower price. The New Blu comes to mind on Amazon....................looks very close and 99 bucks.........a hard price point to go against. In the end I hope this works out the more phones on the market the more companies have to stay on their toes.

People will also chime in that this is for the Corporate/Government user. That's very true, but in the end these users upgrade on very slow cycles. Just ask Microsoft, long after Windows XP was past its prime they had to support it. Why? Because the big users did not upgrade to the next OS. Even now the large users still by far have Windows 7 so the real hope is the consumer market. This is were they need to get someone to name these phones with something a lot more catchy.......I mean really................Priv.................in the military sounds like the term for bathroom..................and this next phone......the name is not really a show stopper either..........................

BlackBerry Always On..............Slightly Off!!
    I agree that sadly the corporate market might be too slow for BlackBerry, don't think Chen has more than a couple of quarters to show that he can make money this way.

But that security is going to be a tough sell among consumers. Biggest problem I see in the US... how would anyone know about the DTEK50? I bet most of the US market still buys via the carrier. If they do happen to go to Amazon and plug in $250 - $400 range under Unlocked Cell Phones....there are 1,609 listings. I didn't see a filter for "security"... Brand (that won't help BlackBerry), Operating System?, Display size?, Features? And as you say... there are better hardware values to be found there, from names that most will recognize..

So if they have just written off the US market for both enterprise and consumers... where are they going to sell these in the volume that Chen needs?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-02-16 03:49 PM
    I agree that sadly the corporate market might be too slow for BlackBerry, don't think Chen has more than a couple of quarters to show that he can make money this way.

But that security is going to be a tough sell among consumers. Biggest problem I see in the US... how would anyone know about the DTEK50? I bet most of the US market still buys via the carrier. If they do happen to go to Amazon and plug in $250 - $400 range under Unlocked Cell Phones....there are 1,609 listings. I didn't see a filter for "security"... Brand (that won't help BlackBerry), Operating System?, Display size?, Features? And as you say... there are better hardware values to be found there, from names that most will recognize..

So if they have just written off the US market for both enterprise and consumers... where are they going to sell these in the volume that Chen needs?
    I don't think that they have written off any market. But I do think they are a day late and a dollar short. As for people buying carrier phones, most people do it for the convenience they like being able to have a buffer between them and the hand set manufacturer. It also gives you a much bigger voice when an issue arises. BlackBerries issues run deep, no advertising because they have no money..........yet they want to sell..........interesting. Late to the game, over priced phones compared to the rest of the market.........it goes on and on. I hope the production phone has their name on the front. Selling stealth is not plan.
    IndianTiwari and liltoadie like this.
    08-02-16 04:35 PM
    People don't care about security till after their account has been hacked.
    Then and only then it will click that SECURITY is important.
    08-02-16 05:28 PM

Isn't DTEK50 about 20% wider though?

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    08-02-16 05:31 PM
78 123 ...