I am running into a problem where no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get my DTEK50 to work as a functional drive or something along those lines (using microsd as expanded system storage), and I have been advised by BB's tech support to backup my system with system transfer and do a system reload.

I can't afford to lose any content, advice?
    04-24-17 01:24 PM
    Not clear what you are wanting....

You can not get your DTEK to see the SD Card? Or you can't get it to use the card as "expanded" internal storage?

Have you tried different cards?

If you went through everything with them... I'd probably follow their advice.
    04-24-17 01:42 PM
    Troubleshooting has already been done with BB, and the next step they want my to do is an OS reload. Last time I used system transfer utility, to go from BB10 to Android on the DTEK50, I lost a fair chunk of data, ad some corrupted, and lost some critical appointments in my calendar.

What risks are there if I use the Android version of this app to backup and transfer data post reload (as I will lose everything in the process), and is there anything I can do to mitigate that?

The microsd is functionally perfectly as expanded DTEK50 internal storage, the problem is that even after going through all troubleshooting steps, then to tech support, nothing has worked to fix the issue. The specific issue is that with proper drivers installed, my computer running win10 (as much as it is a form of malware) recognizes the phone as the phone it is supposed to be recognized as, treats it as an external drive as it should, but displays it as empty (when it is very obviously not), and for some reason is unable to comprehend the device and its internal werkings. This means I cannot use USB to transfer files on and off.

Yes, I know to make sure it is connected in file transfer mode, which does not help. I have reinstalled the drivers, had the phone removed as a device and reinstalled as a device, and so on and so forth. BB tech support is telling me the next step is to reload the OS. It is also worth noting I have electronics background and am skilled as a technician though not certified.

Edit: correcting second language related grammar problems, as a lot of structures in English do not exactly exist in Japanese.
    Last edited by jddbeyondthesky; 04-24-17 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Second Language Problems
    04-24-17 03:24 PM
    Just a thought here...what about copying important files etc to cloud storage like Box or Dropbox? Then you wouldn't have to worry so much about losing data. Still thinking about your problem and if I have anything more to say I'll post again. OS reload is probably your best next step.
    04-24-17 07:13 PM
    treats it as an external drive as it should, but displays it as empty (when it is very obviously not.....

When plugging a USB thumb drive with a micro USB connection built in, the text mentioned that if it is used as internal storage, it will be fully unreadable by any other device but your own phone. I am wondering if you are subject to that kind of an issue, and therefore would explain that it appears empty on Windows10. I am speculating on this and not stating it as fact, in your case.
    Hope this helps.
    04-24-17 09:06 PM
    In particular, I am mainly concerned about my calendar and contact list. Everything else is easily replaceable.

Based on what tech support has said, using the microsd card as extended primary storage, rather than secondary storage, and should not be an issue.
    04-24-17 11:29 PM
    In particular, I am mainly concerned about my calendar and contact list. Everything else is easily replaceable.

Based on what tech support has said, using the microsd card as extended primary storage, rather than secondary storage, and should not be an issue.
    You are talking about making your SD Card the primary storage or what is called Adoptable Storage. What else can they tell DTEK50 owners.... as 16GB really wasn't enough storage.

But you might want to read up on what others have to say about it.....Everything you need to know about your SD card and Adoptable storage | Android Central

You really need to buy a new, high end SD Card.... using an older one with slower capabilities and less "write" life left, is going to lead to problems.
    04-26-17 10:53 AM
    So the 64gb one I bought around the same time simply isn't enough and that's what's causing problems? Never would have guessed that could be a problem. Where do I find 186gb cards?

To be fair, I don't recall having tried to access it from my computer since initial setup, so I would not have likely noticed problems until I actually tried, and even then, I've been ignoring them largely because I can, and its only when trying to access the phone as a drive from my desktop that I run into issues.
    Last edited by jddbeyondthesky; 04-26-17 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Context
    04-26-17 10:59 AM
    So the 64gb one I bought around the same time simply isn't enough and that's what's causing problems? Never would have guessed that could be a problem. Where do I find 186gb cards?

To be fair, I don't recall having tried to access it from my computer since initial setup, so I would not have likely noticed problems until I actually tried, and even then, I've been ignoring them largely because I can, and its only when trying to access the phone as a drive from my desktop that I run into issues.
    You don't. It's either going to be a 128GB or a 256GB card. For fast read / write times ie: 90mb+/sec the card will be pricey.
    04-26-17 11:09 AM
    Let's operate under the assumption that the card isn't the issue and get back to the problem at hand.

Potential card issues are off topic and something I can address on my own separately with zero difficulty, and not what I came here asking about, which was my point about asking about the card that, correction, is 183 gb in the picture in the link, even though I know perfectly well that such a storage size is a result of a completely unrelated topic I don't want to touch on.

Occasionally there are times where I do not want to proceed until I am 100% certain I will get the result I desire, not losing a particular set of data in this case is one of those times, otherwise I would have already attempted this.
    04-26-17 11:18 AM
    Let's operate under the assumption that the card isn't the issue and get back to the problem at hand.

Potential card issues are off topic and something I can address on my own separately with zero difficulty, and not what I came here asking about, which was my point about asking about the card that, correction, is 183 gb in the picture in the link, even though I know perfectly well that such a storage size is a result of a completely unrelated topic I don't want to touch on.

Occasionally there are times where I do not want to proceed until I am 100% certain I will get the result I desire, not losing a particular set of data in this case is one of those times, otherwise I would have already attempted this.
    Then do as BlackBerry Support suggested... Do a Factory Reset to get back to default settings. Without restoring any data, put the SD Card in a see if you can format it. Might help to format it on a PC first - exFAT. If it doesn't work, try another card.

If it still doesn't work, return to BlackBerry support and try the next step they suggest... probable sending back the phone.

Data loss, you'll need to backup everything.
    04-26-17 02:19 PM

Then do as BlackBerry Support suggested... Do a Factory Reset to get back to default settings. Without restoring any data, put the SD Card in a see if you can format it. Might help to format it on a PC first - exFAT. If it doesn't work, try another card.

If it still doesn't work, return to BlackBerry support and try the next step they suggest... probable sending back the phone.

Data loss, you'll need to backup everything.
    04-26-17 02:19 PM