So for anyone who went with adoptable, any regrets or issues ?
    No issues or regrets for me.

I'm installing apps and lots of music with no issues so far. I'm even using the SD card for navigating Sygic with multiple maps installed locally for GPS navigation in the car.

Best to use a micro SDXC UHS-I rated Class 10 so the spped is compatible with DTEK50.

See HERE for more info on DTEK50 requirements.
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-01-16 09:37 AM
    I've setup adoptive storage, with a Samsung EVO+ card and it works brilliantly!

Not all apps have the option to change the location of the app from internal storage to the SD card, but I've freed up around 1gb moving the apps that I don't need maximal speeds for, to the SD card. Netron Music player (and all the music files), Snapchat, Weather app etc etc, are now on the SD card.

As has been said in this thread, you can still plug your phone to a Mac or Windows PC and move files to and from the SD card. The difference being the SD card can only be read while it's in your DTEK50, since the card is encrypted when you enable adoptive storage.

Really happy with the way it's working. The 16gb internal storage shouldn't be an issue for me now.

The catch is that not all apps support this feature to change the storage location to the SD card. If you fill up your 16gb internal drive with only apps that don't allow this feature, then you'll have an issue with the 16gb internal storage limit. Other than that, it's great!
    at what point can you choose where the app is installed to?
    i messed up and downloaded most of my apps before i popped in the SD card... i'm guessing i need to wipe the device and start all over again?

i have a dtek60: (32gb internal, and 32 gb external)... i chose adaptable, but after most of the phone was setup already.
    looking at the storage menu, nearly EVERYTHING, including my music is being stored to internal... obv i want music and photos to be on external but i cant seem to do this.

suggestions?
    11-12-16 09:46 AM
    at what point can you choose where the app is installed to?
    i messed up and downloaded most of my apps before i popped in the SD card... i'm guessing i need to wipe the device and start all over again?

i have a dtek60: (32gb internal, and 32 gb external)... i chose adaptable, but after most of the phone was setup already.
    looking at the storage menu, nearly EVERYTHING, including my music is being stored to internal... obv i want music and photos to be on external but i cant seem to do this.

suggestions?
    You can go to settings and move installed apps from internal to sdcard. From the menu in the screenshot, choose the first, internal, and then tap on one of the apps listed. From there you can move it to the sdcard. You can also move apps from sdcard back to internal in case of performance issues.

For larger file operations, e.g. moving a complete music library from internal to sdcard (which I did recently), I'd use a good file manager. For me, Solid Explorer worked very good, one of the many really helpful recommendations from the good people here at Crackberry ;-)
    liquidneon likes this.
    11-12-16 05:26 PM
    forgot the screenshot...
    Attached Thumbnails Adoptable Storage or Not?-90781.jpg  
    11-12-16 05:29 PM
    You can go to settings and move installed apps from internal to sdcard. From the menu in the screenshot, choose the first, internal, and then tap on one of the apps listed. From there you can move it to the sdcard. You can also move apps from sdcard back to internal in case of performance issues.

For larger file operations, e.g. moving a complete music library from internal to sdcard (which I did recently), I'd use a good file manager. For me, Solid Explorer worked very good, one of the many really helpful recommendations from the good people here at Crackberry ;-)
    GREAT! thanks so much for your help. I bought a 64 GB Lexar card... phone told me it's too slow. Upgraded to the Professional version 64 GB Lexar... phone told me it too was too slow. 3rd trip to Best Buy = Samsung Pro+ 64GB... phone accepted it as "fast enough" however I would not recommend anyone run apps from the SD card. it's still significantly slower than running from internal. Most apps aren't all that big anyway. Use the SD card for media and files exclusively. The reason I'm doing adopted is I want the security on my DTEK60... if I lose my phone I don't want ppl to be able to just view all files on the SD card.

For those who need to run apps from SD card, you should also know that not ALL apps can be moved to external (caused a lot of confusion for me at first since i could not find the menu above).
    Last edited by liquidneon; 11-14-16 at 07:03 AM.
    11-14-16 06:46 AM
    OK still some issues - here's where I'm at:

I downloaded Solid Explorer for my DTEK60 - nice app... except it does not seem to recognize the full storage capacity of my drive (32GB internal + 64 GB external). see screenshot 1 below. I also tried Asus File Explorer. Both seem to think I only have ~32GB storage. The system however knows I have the full 32+64 - see screenshot 2.
    Adoptable Storage or Not?-screenshot_20161114-074127.jpg
    Attachment 412141
    Nearly everything is saving to internal... photos I take included, which I would think should go to external. I don't see options anywhere for setting any defaults for where stuff gets saved.

Question 1 - Any way to have certain items automatically save to external, or do I need to constantly move stuff over?
    Question 2 - How do I move stuff over?! Within file explorer (Solid Explorer) it does not seem to even recognize that I have external storage.

Any and all help appreciated!!
    11-14-16 06:59 AM
    I dunno if it's just my 50, but the Crackberry app definitely runs best using internal storage over SD.
    11-14-16 07:05 AM
    OK still some issues - here's where I'm at:

I downloaded Solid Explorer for my DTEK60 - nice app... except it does not seem to recognize the full storage capacity of my drive (32GB internal + 64 GB external). see screenshot 1 below. I also tried Asus File Explorer. Both seem to think I only have ~32GB storage. The system however knows I have the full 32+64 - see screenshot 2.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20161114-074127.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	412142
    Attachment 412141
    Nearly everything is saving to internal... photos I take included, which I would think should go to external. I don't see options anywhere for setting any defaults for where stuff gets saved.

Question 1 - Any way to have certain items automatically save to external, or do I need to constantly move stuff over?
    Question 2 - How do I move stuff over?! Within file explorer (Solid Explorer) it does not seem to even recognize that I have external storage.

If you open the camera and press settings it gives you the option to save photos and video to media card, 2nd option from the bottom.
    11-14-16 08:51 AM

Alright, I think I fixed my own problem. This is odd and glitchy but I got where I wanted to be:

Go into Settings, Storage and USB, Choose External SD card, press Menu button on top right, and press "Migrate Data".
    I was skeptical to do this at first, as it does not let you choose WHAT Im migrating, or where it's going, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Soon after I hit migrate, it moved over photos, videos, and audio (thankfully NOT apps, as I've learned this makes them run significantly slower), AND an Explore folder/button was suddenly added... VOILA! Everything seems to work now. The File explorer even recognizes that I have external memory. All is well, and I'm happy.
    11-14-16 08:52 AM
    Glad you got it sorted,if you look at my post just above your last one you can move photos by just changing the settings in the camera app
    liquidneon likes this.
    11-14-16 08:55 AM
    Glad you got it sorted,if you look at my post just above your last one you can move photos by just changing the settings in the camera app
    Nope - I tried that. BB Camera app disables that button which would let me choose external storage (because I made it adoptable). It treats it as one big internal drive.
    11-14-16 08:59 AM
    Same here adoptable storage and the button is not disabled
    liquidneon likes this.
    11-14-16 09:03 AM
    Soon after I hit migrate, it moved over photos, videos, and audio (thankfully NOT apps, as I've learned this makes them run significantly slower), AND an Explore folder/button was suddenly added... VOILA! Everything seems to work now. The File explorer even recognizes that I have external memory. All is well, and I'm happy.
    I'm gonna declare this 90% resolved. I did not realize the file explorer now no longer sees my internal memory following the migrate. Now it only sees the SD card... weird, but whatever (see below). As long as I can save media to the external I'm happy. I have all the apps installed already on internal, so going forward items added look like they will move to external (as desired).
    Attachment 412155
    11-14-16 09:05 AM
    Same here adoptable storage and the button is not disabled
    you're correct. following the Migrate Data step, now it is suddenly an option within the camera app.

That seems to be the key! Migrate data for the win. Confusing as F, but whatever. Glad this is over lol. I can enjoy my phone now.
    11-14-16 09:08 AM
    Yes enjoy the phone as its an exellant one,just takes a bit of getting used too !
    liquidneon likes this.
    11-14-16 09:13 AM
    GREAT! thanks so much for your help. I bought a 64 GB Lexar card... phone told me it's too slow. Upgraded to the Professional version 64 GB Lexar... phone told me it too was too slow. 3rd trip to Best Buy = Samsung Pro+ 64GB... phone accepted it as "fast enough" however I would not recommend anyone run apps from the SD card. it's still significantly slower than running from internal. Most apps aren't all that big anyway. Use the SD card for media and files exclusively. The reason I'm doing adopted is I want the security on my DTEK60... if I lose my phone I don't want ppl to be able to just view all files on the SD card.

For those who need to run apps from SD card, you should also know that not ALL apps can be moved to external (caused a lot of confusion for me at first since i could not find the menu above).
    One last useful piece of info - Widgets don't work for apps installed on SD card. I see no good reason to install any app on the SD card. Really F's up the experience.
    11-14-16 09:23 AM
    One last useful piece of info - Widgets don't work for apps installed on SD card. I see no good reason to install any app on the SD card. Really F's up the experience.
    Thanks, I didn't realize that.
    11-15-16 03:55 AM
    Ok so I'm a little confused. You can or can't use the Migrate function to move your data to SD card on a adoptable storage card?. Do file managers etc recognize the extra space?
    11-15-16 01:14 PM
    Ok so I'm a little confused. You can or can't use the Migrate function to move your data to SD card on a adoptable storage card?. Do file managers etc recognize the extra space?
    best way to do it based on what i've said above (best performance and usability):

1 - wipe phone
    2 - install all apps you want
    3 - insert micros SD card (Samsung Pro+ is the best I tried... two different top end Lexar cards the device told me were too slow). file explorer will not recognize your SD card. Android system will.
    4 - hit migrate data. it will migrate media and some crap, not apps (which is a good thing). file explorer will now detect your SD card (but not the internal). android will continue to detect both. transfer over all your media and fill up that card!
    5 - done

At this point, if you install any new apps, (updates will still go to internal) they will install to SD card. I advise going into Settings>Apps>Storage and changing it to internal before opening the app the first time (will make for a speedy transfer to internal).

If there is other stuff you want specifically on the internal, I would install it/download it prior to step 3.

good luck
    chagheill likes this.
    11-15-16 01:43 PM
    best way to do it based on what i've said above (best performance and usability):

1 - wipe phone
    2 - install all apps you want
    3 - insert micros SD card (Samsung Pro+ is the best I tried... two different top end Lexar cards the device told me were too slow). file explorer will not recognize your SD card. Android system will.
    4 - hit migrate data. it will migrate media and some crap, not apps (which is a good thing). file explorer will now detect your SD card (but not the internal). android will continue to detect both. transfer over all your media and fill up that card!
    5 - done

At this point, if you install any new apps, (updates will still go to internal) they will install to SD card. I advise going into Settings>Apps>Storage and changing it to internal before opening the app the first time (will make for a speedy transfer to internal).

If there is other stuff you want specifically on the internal, I would install it/download it prior to step 3.

good luck
    Thanks for the steps!
    11-15-16 07:25 PM
120 ... 345