If you're going to be getting the DTEK50, are you going to be adding an SD card and using it as removable or adoptable?

Priv users have mostly deferred to removable given the 32GB of onboard available. But the DTEK50 has only 16GB available, hence it might make sense to defer to adoptable and use a fast SDXC card.

Also, does anyone know if the DTEK50 supports the UHS-II (yes, the one with the second row of pins) variety of sd cards? Doesn't say on the product website.

What card will youi end up using?

Cheers.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by ajwan; 08-06-16 at 01:43 PM.
    08-06-16 01:13 PM
    Specs on the 617 from Qualcomm, if it helps.
    SD 3.0 (UHS-I)
    08-06-16 01:21 PM
    Specs on the 617 from Qualcomm, if it helps.
    SD 3.0 (UHS-I)
    Ah yes, indeed. Thanks. So waste of money going anything higher than UHS-I.

08-06-16 01:45 PM
    Thanks for this thread! I just ordered a 128GB 80mb/sec Sammy microSDXC and want to use it as adoptable storage. I'm assuming Android Central will have info on how to do this?

CDM76 likes this.
    08-06-16 03:23 PM
    Will definately use my 64gb SamPro+ as adaptable storage.
    08-06-16 03:46 PM
    Just keep in mind that if you use the adaptable storage option, the card is locked to your device and can't be removed to transfer files with a card reader in your PC.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-16 04:33 PM
    Just keep in mind that if you use the adaptable storage option, the card is locked to your device and can't be removed to transfer files with a card reader in your PC.

Posted via CB10
    I do like the security of adoptable. All my SD card photos and docs go to Dropbox automatically so I'm good but if you don't back up in a third party cloud like Dropbox it will make it a little more difficult to transfer to PC then back to new SD card is you want that.

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 08-07-16 at 12:10 PM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-06-16 04:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm cool with that. My photos sync with my onedrive.
    08-06-16 04:50 PM
    Did a LOT of reading over the last while. Apparently, high bandwidth speeds (while important for mass transfer of large media files from) don't necessarily equate to good i/o performance on smartphones. For smartphones that are constantly accessing apps, small block random read/write performance is critical.

Samsung Evo+ seems to get the nod for balance between random i/o performance and sequential transfer. Samsung Pro+ for emphasis on large-block sequential transfer.
    Sandisk Extreme Plus is also a noteworthy mention.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1207-...256gb-microsd/

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/

http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/je...i-microsd-card

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=9&t=1313339

Last edited by ajwan; 08-06-16 at 05:51 PM.
    08-06-16 05:21 PM
    Thanks for doing the research and posting that.

Ride or die: 
    CDM76 and MBrettH like this.
    08-06-16 05:36 PM
    I need to ask since I've never done this before. If SD card is configured as adoptable will it work like internal memory ie: encrypted and be able to store/run apps from the card?

08-06-16 05:49 PM
    I need to ask since I've never done this before. If SD card is configured as adoptable will it work like internal memory ie: encrypted and be able to store/run apps from the card?

I believe so, with the exception of protected Android files.
    08-06-16 05:53 PM

Yes, it basically makes your phone into larger internal memory phone.
    Thus why I'm not sure why people complain about the 16GB internal memory on DTEK50. Go buy a 128GB memory SD card, make it adoptable and presto, you have a 144GB phone.

Last edited by Pinot2015; 08-07-16 at 12:11 PM.
    08-06-16 06:11 PM
    But does it slow down the app, as it's an external card and not built in memory ??

Posted via CB10
    08-06-16 06:41 PM
    Yes, it basically makes your phone into larger internal memory phone.
    Thus why I'm not sure why people complain about the 16GB internal memory on DTEK50. Go buy a 128GB memory SD card, make it adoptable and presto, you have a 144GB phone.

Ok..question 2. If the card is adoptable can it be reversed back to a normal SD card in the future?

BlackBerry... Now and Forever.
    08-06-16 07:12 PM
    Good question; don't know.

08-06-16 09:37 PM
    Ok..question 2. If the card is adoptable can it be reversed back to a normal SD card in the future?

Yes. You just need to move whatever data thats on the card to the device storage. I've done it before coz the sd card I have at that time was slow.
    08-06-16 10:07 PM
    Yes. You just need to move whatever data thats on the card to the device storage. I've done it before coz the sd card I have at that time was slow.
    Or once you copy data on SD card somewhere else then re format card.

08-06-16 10:41 PM
    Did a LOT of reading over the last while. Apparently, high bandwidth speeds (while important for mass transfer of large media files from) don't necessarily equate to good i/o performance on smartphones. For smartphones that are constantly accessing apps, small block random read/write performance is critical.

Samsung Evo+ seems to get the nod for balance between random i/o performance and sequential transfer. Samsung Pro+ for emphasis on large-block sequential transfer.
    Sandisk Extreme Plus is also a noteworthy mention.

Samsung EVO+ 256GB MicroSD Memory Card Review - TechSpot

The Best microSD Card | The Wirecutter

Raspberry Pi microSD card performance comparison - 2015 | Jeff Geerling

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=9&t=1313339

I ordered my DTEK50 from Clove UK and a 128gb Samsung EVO+ card based on your post and some additional googling.

Can't wait for them both to arrive, hopefully by next weekend :-)
    08-06-16 11:23 PM

Needs to be Re formatted again from what I read

Posted via CB10
    08-07-16 12:21 AM
    Needs to be Re formatted again from what I read

Posted via CB10
    Yes and you will have to security wipe your device and reinstall all your apps and restore your data if you make your SD card adoptable it's best to leave as is, if you want a SD card that you can switch to other devices then don't make it adoptable

CDM76 and MBrettH like this.
    08-07-16 12:43 AM
    Or once you copy data on SD card somewhere else then re format card.

Yup. Then its back to just being a normal use sd card.
    08-07-16 01:29 AM
    Yes and you will have to security wipe your device and reinstall all your apps and restore your data if you make your SD card adoptable it's best to leave as is, if you want a SD card that you can switch to other devices then don't make it adoptable

I didn't need to reformat the actual device otherwise whats the point of moving stuff back to the device storage.
    08-07-16 01:32 AM
    So do apps on the external adoptable storage run slower than the apps stored and run on the built-in internal memory ?

Posted via CB10
    08-07-16 01:40 AM
    So do apps on the external adoptable storage run slower than the apps stored and run on the built-in internal memory ?

Posted via CB10
    Loading was slower but that depends on the sdcard you will use. Thats the reason I bought a better micro sdcard.
    08-07-16 02:17 AM
120 123 ...