Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. greggebhardt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,400 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,442 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Got three 9380 Curves arriving on Thursday

    Looking forward to trying them out.
  2. mjs416's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,131 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,162 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    #2  

    Default

    Please review once you get em. The budget touch screen has me curious.
  3. rkopsie's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    PIN
    3318D20B
    #3  

    Default

    I wish I could test one out
    Let me borrow one Lol see the difference with my 9850

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  4. dgravo#CB's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    I'll buy one off you if any are for sale?
  5. smarkow's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
    Looking forward to trying them out.
    Looking forward to your comments/reviews.

    Would really like to know how this phone compares to the Storm models. Based on look, it seems like this "could" be considered the Storm3. Would be nice to understand the differences compared to the Storm2.

    Thanks a lot
  6. dictoresno's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    im thinking about getting one when they become available on at&t as an upgrade. ill have it supplement my 9860. i would prefer the smaller size over the Torch. are you getting pre-release test units??
  7. MaxPayne79's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    248 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    yeah what Dictoresno said. Plus, do you guys any idea of the Canadian release date by any chance? i'm trying to find info but can't. my 9860 seems too big and to heavy and i discovered (after i purchased it) that half the apps i used on my 9780 and my 9800, aren't supported on the 9860 and not happy about that. Rim should have warned buyers abut that bs. So now the phone is essentially useless. kinda pissed off actually that's why i want the small one. Thanx guys.
  8. smarkow's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
    Looking forward to trying them out.
    Well? Any updates on this device? How is it?
  9. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    BlackBerry Diva

    Posts
    7,750 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
    Looking forward to trying them out.
    I'll help you out!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  10. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    BlackBerry Diva

    Posts
    7,750 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Where are you hiding those 9380s, Greg?!!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by TequilaAddict; 11-27-2011 at 11:08 PM.
  11. andy957's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPayne79 View Post
    Plus, do you guys any idea of the Canadian release date by any chance?
    Bell released it last Friday 11/25. I'll have one tomorrow to play with.
  12. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    BlackBerry Diva

    Posts
    7,750 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andy957 View Post
    Bell released it last Friday 11/25. I'll have one tomorrow to play with.
    Great! Please let us know how you like it!
  13. MaxPayne79's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    248 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaAddict View Post
    Great! Please let us know how you like it!
    im picking one up on saturday, i'll post back, then.
  14. andy957's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaAddict View Post
    Great! Please let us know how you like it!
    Received it last night, and although I haven't put it through its paces yet, these are my (very preliminary) impressions:


    1. It's just what I was looking for: a BB that I could throw in my pocket without feeling any bulk
    2. Full touch screen works great without having to go to 4" or larger for the Super AMOLED Androids, etc.
    3. Screen is very nice, despite comments to the contrary here.
    4. Buttons are a little hard to push as Kevin noted but not too bad
    5. Call quality and speakerphone top notch as expected with all BBs (after all, we're buying phones first and foremost, right?)


    I'll update this as time goes on, but I recommend it. I had to pay full price ($375) because I lost my original phone but I think in the end it will be worth it.

    Let me know if you need anything else.
  15. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    BlackBerry Diva

    Posts
    7,750 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Which carrier did you buy it from? I hope everything else works good.
  16. andy957's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey
    #16  

    Default

    Bell.

    OK, update to this message with more impressions.

    1. NYTimes app, even though you can download and install it fine from AppWorld, gives you a message that it is not compatible with this device once you go to launch it from the phone. ARGH!
    2. Evernote: login fields are not legible, so can't log in. Appears ok then all of a sudden jumps to a "scrunched" login screen. Could be a BB7 thing but I am able to use it fine on my 9900.
    3. Buttons are indeed hard to press. I kind of wish they were capacitive like the Storm (I had a Storm 1 9530 and wasn't one of its bashers, in fact with the OS5 update [at that time], it worked kind of well).
    4. Battery seems to be plagued by the 9900 issue - and i noticed that the build on this is .261, just like the stock 9900 build from Bell.

    On the plus side:
    1. Phone seems rather fast when scrolling and moving around.
    2. Phone is sleek, light and really beautiful. Size-wise, you can't do better, IMHO (much better than the 9800 or 9810, I think).
    3. LOVE LOVE LOVE the very brightly lighted trackpad and 4 keys, they're very easy to see (I'm slightly vision impaired so for me it's awesome).
    4. Of course, phone and speakerphone quality is top-notch. BB beats any other phone, any other platform for call quality.

    There. So, in the end, will I keep it? I don't know yet.
    Last edited by andy957; 12-03-2011 at 08:51 PM.
  17. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    BlackBerry Diva

    Posts
    7,750 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    I think I will be adding one to my BB family.
  18. andy957's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaAddict View Post
    I think I will be adding one to my BB family.
    TA, read my updated post just above yours. It might be worthwhile playing with one first before jumping at the chance.

    I'm debating about the 9790 although I'm not crazy about the four 9860-style buttons.

    I should also say, and don't shoot me, I still think the 9780 is a great phone, and I still use it for other purposes. Yes, I'm a cell phone junkie. Anyone know of a 12-step program for cell phone addicts? LOL
    Last edited by andy957; 12-03-2011 at 08:55 PM.
  19. andy957's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPayne79 View Post
    im picking one up on saturday, i'll post back, then.
    Hi Max, curious if you got your 9380 and what you think.
  20. MaxPayne79's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    248 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andy957 View Post
    Hi Max, curious if you got your 9380 and what you think.
    i love it. i owned the torch 9860 for almost a month and i love this phone a lot more than the 9860.

    it's small, extremely light, and because of the crappy screen resolution and the display being slightly wider than the torch 9860, it's easier to type on because there are bigger spaces between the letters i find, and that makes a big difference in accuracy. battery life is better than the 9860, and the phone is much easer to handle and navigate due to size. the phone is literately like the top part of the torch slider minus the physical keyboard. i've owned the phone 3 days and dropped it 4 times. a record for me but it does;t matter because it's so lite that it bounces off whatever it hits, like my face lol.

    drawbacks are..no auto focus cam which is a bummer. not sure how much of a camera person you are, but i use it a lot for twitter and even for text and mag articles i take a pic of, and read later. with the no autofocus you have to stand back, then zoom in to get detail clarity but then because it's digital zoom, you see mad degradation. but at least it's in focus

    the top buttons are a little harder to press then the new 9860/9790 buttons. but you get used to it. and last i would have liked the t9810 resolution on this phone but what can i do lol.

    and unfortunately right now there are practically zero apps available for this phone. appworld even claims NO bb news feeds and NO twitter even though, twitter comes pre-installed. makes no sense to me. i had to sideload all my apps from other places because every single app i use, App world tells me is unsupported by my device. so im very upset about that. i thought since this phone sports the same res at the 9800, that all apps would be available and this was the main reason i sold my 9860, but it's even worse with this phone.

    the phone is def not worth anywhere near the retail price of 370 plus tax. i paid 250 canadian no tax and that's EXACTLY what it's worth. so buy it on a plan, don't buy it outright unless you get lucky and find it used like i did.

    but honestly with all the draw backs, i still love it. it's perfect for my social media/email/text/radio, podcast, and will be good for the news once the apps become available. Speaker is very clear and loud too, it's nice.

    that's more or less it.
    Last edited by MaxPayne79; 12-04-2011 at 01:35 PM.
  21. andy957's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey
    #21  

    Default

    thanks for the detailed feedback. I disagree with you on a few points, but phones are a very personal choice and so these are just our own opinions.

    I don't think the screen is crap. In fact, I think it's quite nice for a Curve. Yes it is reminiscent of the 9800's screen only, as well as a miniature Storm, if you ask me.

    Re: camera, I bought this for a PHONE first and foremost, and the 5MP camera produces outstanding pics. It's all in the hands of the photographer.

    For texting, email, etc., the phone is perfect, and like you said, it's the size that is so attractive. I just wish the 4 buttons weren't so darn hard to push, i wonder with time if they'll get easier.

    I couldn't agree more re: AppWorld. See my post above re: NYTimes and Evernote. I think it's just too soon. Hopefully they will be updated for this device, otherwise it's not all that great.

    And finally, where did you get yours for $250 CA? The phone is brand new, how can you get a used one? I did unfortunately pay full price at Bell but haven't 100% confirmed that I'm going to be keeping it..however I do like it a lot! Conundrum indeed.

    Cheers.
  22. MaxPayne79's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    248 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andy957 View Post
    thanks for the detailed feedback. I disagree with you on a few points, but phones are a very personal choice and so these are just our own opinions.

    I don't think the screen is crap. In fact, I think it's quite nice for a Curve. Yes it is reminiscent of the 9800's screen only, as well as a miniature Storm, if you ask me.

    Re: camera, I bought this for a PHONE first and foremost, and the 5MP camera produces outstanding pics. It's all in the hands of the photographer.

    For texting, email, etc., the phone is perfect, and like you said, it's the size that is so attractive. I just wish the 4 buttons weren't so darn hard to push, i wonder with time if they'll get easier.

    I couldn't agree more re: AppWorld. See my post above re: NYTimes and Evernote. I think it's just too soon. Hopefully they will be updated for this device, otherwise it's not all that great.

    And finally, where did you get yours for $250 CA? The phone is brand new, how can you get a used one? I did unfortunately pay full price at Bell but haven't 100% confirmed that I'm going to be keeping it..however I do like it a lot! Conundrum indeed.

    Cheers.
    yeah the screen isnt total crap but i d with it had the 9810 screen.

    And when it comes to the cam, the torch 9860 takes significantly better pics. i mean like noticeably, noticeably better. here the pics appears washed out compared to the 9860. it almost looks like the 9380's sporting a lower res cam but that can't be possible, could it? lol.

    i got it off of kijiji. people are getting them on upgrades then selling them cause it's not their thing i guess. the good thing is that no one is buying these phones so u can bargain with then and usually they don't put up a fight. they say 370 i say 280 and pick up now. they say 350 i say 260...and so on. i tell em that they don't want this phone to be sitting here for two weeks, and that gets them going. i got lucky cause a young girl was selling it and she didn't care how much she was gonna get for it as long as it was something.
  23. andy957's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey
    #23  

    Default

    P.S. Accessories are also an important factor for me, particularly cases. I love the Case-Mate Barely There cases and wrote to them but got the standard "we don't know" answer. Otterbox, however, wrote back to say they have had a few requests, so to watch their web site, which makes me (perhaps wrongfully) hope that they'll do something.
  24. andy957's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    977 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey
    #24  

    Default

    Oh, and one other bothersome quirk (not a biggie). The micro USB port on the phone is upside down from the other BBs (the BB logo on the cable goes down instead of up). Minor annoyance but annoyance nonetheless.
    Last edited by andy957; 12-04-2011 at 03:11 PM.
  25. BlackberryCodeSource's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    427 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    We unlocked quite a few Bell and Telus 9380's for Canadian Customers that export them to the states.

    Got a chance to play with one, It's a nice little phone,

    I'm sure it will be a huge hit with teens and ladies!
    Current Phones Z10, Q10, iP5, Samsung GNote 3, HTC One!

    Best of all........ Q10!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions