I tried the "troubleshoot my connection" and did everything in it, including turning off my antivirus program, checking the media card, enabling mass storage on the device, removing the USB connection and reconnecting with another port, etc. etc. All I want to do is sync a few photos to the desktop, which I have done before. This is so frustrating and time wasting I'll have to consider an Android or IPhone or other type of phone in the future. No matter what I do, I get "connect your device"...
    10-23-14 01:05 AM
    Make sure you are using a "data cable" not just a random "charging cable", they are different. What PC OS are you running. Some folks have ad issues with, eh , ahem, Windows 8.........
    DaFoxGrey and hiker11 like this.
    10-23-14 08:37 AM
    Make sure the USB cable you are using isn't damaged and is a Data cable, not just a charge cable.
    Also make sure you are plugging it into a USB 2.0 port, a newer 3.0 port or older 1.x ports will cause issues.
    If you are connecting it to a laptop, check the port settings to make sure it isn't being power throttled by the Power Saver settings, also some laptops have two types of ports:
    • Ones that are for only small devices, like thumb drives.
    • Ones that are for more power hungry devices like external HD's

You will want to use the higher powered ones.

If this is a situation where it was working fine one day, then was screwed up the next day, and nothing had been changed as far as the 9320's OS or the Desktop Software, then I would be leaning more toward defective cable or an issue with the computer.
    Try rebooting both the computer and the 9320 (do a battery pull) just to eliminate a software glitch.

EDIT: And yes, as Carl Estes posted, Windows 8 is a known troublesome OS when dealing with BlackBerry devices and software.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 10-23-14 at 08:50 AM.
    Carl Estes and hiker11 like this.
    10-23-14 08:38 AM
    I am using the combined charging/data cable that came with the phone, the one the manual says to use. Are you saying this cable is no good for data?
    I had an issue with an external drive not getting enough power from my laptop USB2.0 ports, so I bought a powered USB hub which fixed the problem.
    I'm using that same hub for the phone cable.

I did the battery pull last night.
    The laptop is running XP. And has been restarted since last night.

Today I get more error messages on the phone, after connecting it to the laptop. The Desktop software still tells me to connect the device.
    Error messages begin with something like not able to connect to charge the device (even though I can see that it is charging now).
    Then something about checking for BB device drivers on the computer. A few other things that I can't remember.
    10-23-14 03:27 PM
    OK, your cable is the right type and as long as it's not broke, it should be working fine.

Try direct connecting the cable to the computer USB port, as the phone reported a charging error, that normally means the USB port has "dumbed down", so it may be the powered hub is the issue.
    Also make sure your laptop is plugged in to the house power, if it's in battery mode it will keep trying to drop the USB ports into a lower power mode and that will cause connection glitches when syncing to the BlackBerry.
    hiker11 likes this.
    10-23-14 05:07 PM
    I am connecting the cable directly from the hub to the laptop. (The hub is connected to a power supply, and no other connections at this time.)
    Laptop is always connected to house power.
    What about the BB device drivers? Is there some way to check if I have them installed? Or is that message unimportant?
    10-24-14 12:36 AM
    Sorry if I wasn't clear; Please connect the BlackBerry cable directly to the laptop USB instead of the hub, just to make sure the hub isn't glitched.
    Let us know what happens then.

You have the BlackBerry Desktop Software installed on the laptop, so you have the drivers installed also.
    The error messages you were getting means the computer and your 9320 were not communicating properly, which points back to the cable connection.
    10-24-14 06:55 AM
    The 9320 was connected to the computer before I tried it with the hub. I tried again without the hub and still it does not connect.
    Yesterday I got an error message about the media card, prompting me to correct the error, which I did.
    When I was unable to connect today to the Desktop software, I tried using Windows explorer prompt > sync, and was able to immediately open the folders on the 9320. Unfortunately it looks like the pictures folder is empty, but then I tried the camera folder, and the photos are all there.
    So, at least I can download the photos and whatever else is on the media card, but I won't be able to sync to the BB software, and won't be able to get updates etc.
    10-24-14 04:34 PM