Hi All,

New member here

My Blackberry Curve 9300 has broken (Red Light and won't turn on) so I need to buy a new one. Now I am looking at what options I have regarding which models I go for, and the Curve 9360 seems to be the most ideal (my favourite one) in terms of specifications and looks.

Now the problem I think that I may have is the short battery life. I will be using it for BBM, Internet Browsing, Texting and Emails. I don't listen to music on it. I may play the odd game but it will not be very often. The phone wouldn't be used constantly, so it will be in standby mode for some of it.

I was wondering how long I can expect the battery to last?

I will be using it for school so I need it to last a whole day preferably. I will need it till last from 7AM to around 9PM.

Also, I have been doing some research and have read about upgrading the OS to 7.1 - which can improve the battery life. Can I ask if any of you noticed a difference? Also, does this affect the 12 month warranty you get with Blackberrys?

Also, have any of you tried a larger battery with a modified back cover? Just seen on eBay that you can get a 2200mah battery with a bigger back cover. I'll admit that it will spoil the looks slightly, but if it gets more battery it may be worth it if I am desperate!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

James
    06-24-12 05:59 PM
    Can anyone help?
    06-26-12 03:02 AM
    Hi All,

New member here

My Blackberry Curve 9300 has broken (Red Light and won't turn on) so I need to buy a new one. Now I am looking at what options I have regarding which models I go for, and the Curve 9360 seems to be the most ideal (my favourite one) in terms of specifications and looks.

Now the problem I think that I may have is the short battery life. I will be using it for BBM, Internet Browsing, Texting and Emails. I don't listen to music on it. I may play the odd game but it will not be very often. The phone wouldn't be used constantly, so it will be in standby mode for some of it.

I was wondering how long I can expect the battery to last?

I will be using it for school so I need it to last a whole day preferably. I will need it till last from 7AM to around 9PM.

Also, I have been doing some research and have read about upgrading the OS to 7.1 - which can improve the battery life. Can I ask if any of you noticed a difference? Also, does this affect the 12 month warranty you get with Blackberrys?

Also, have any of you tried a larger battery with a modified back cover? Just seen on eBay that you can get a 2200mah battery with a bigger back cover. I'll admit that it will spoil the looks slightly, but if it gets more battery it may be worth it if I am desperate!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

James
    The battery life is actually not as bad as most say, especially with os 7.1. My usage is pretty similar to yours except I don't play any games, just music. I have whatsapp, twitter and facebook as well. Even with an hour of jogging with the endomondo app tracking using gps and music playing, it is still able to last an entire day with a comfortable amount of battery left each night. Of course this may vary with different users.

I normally do not keep any app running in the background. Brightness lowest. Battery saving mode always on. If you want it to last even longer, you can even switch to 2G mode only, which will last even longer, if you don't mind the slightly slower connection. I have a 3rd party 1500mah battery for spare, but almost never require it. If you're concern, 3rd party battery's prices are pretty reasonable. Extended battery that add bulks spoils the pocketability of the 9360 in my personal opinion. I'd rather carry a spare battery instead, which in itself is actually very very small and easy to carry around.

Os 7.1 will not affect the warranty, since you can always reload an older version back on it. There is still the 9320 if you really want a bigger battery.

06-26-12 03:59 AM
    The battery life is actually not as bad as most say, especially with os 7.1. My usage is pretty similar to yours except I don't play any games, just music. I have whatsapp, twitter and facebook as well. Even with an hour of jogging with the endomondo app tracking using gps and music playing, it is still able to last an entire day with a comfortable amount of battery left each night. Of course this may vary with different users.

I normally do not keep any app running in the background. Brightness lowest. Battery saving mode always on. If you want it to last even longer, you can even switch to 2G mode only, which will last even longer, if you don't mind the slightly slower connection. I have a 3rd party 1500mah battery for spare, but almost never require it. If you're concern, 3rd party battery's prices are pretty reasonable. Extended battery that add bulks spoils the pocketability of the 9360 in my personal opinion. I'd rather carry a spare battery instead, which in itself is actually very very small and easy to carry around.

Os 7.1 will not affect the warranty, since you can always reload an older version back on it. There is still the 9320 if you really want a bigger battery.

Thanks you very much Alex!

Your usage sounds very similar to mine, as I will use Facebook, Whatsapp and BBM.

I also do the same as you as I close all apps (none running in background) and I have the screen on the lowest setting. I didn't realise you could get a 1500mah battery which is the same size as the standard one! Does it offer any more battery than the standard battery or similar? I suppose carrying a spare battery would be a lot better idea.

I'm glad to here that it won't affect the warranty. How long warranty do you get on this phone? Is it 1 year or 2 years?

I was considering the 9320 as it has a better battery, but I only need it to last it a good full day. Also, the 9360 has the better screen and just looks a lot nice!

Thanks and ATB

James
    06-26-12 05:39 AM
    Thanks you very much Alex!

Your usage sounds very similar to mine, as I will use Facebook, Whatsapp and BBM.

I also do the same as you as I close all apps (none running in background) and I have the screen on the lowest setting. I didn't realise you could get a 1500mah battery which is the same size as the standard one! Does it offer any more battery than the standard battery or similar? I suppose carrying a spare battery would be a lot better idea.

I'm glad to here that it won't affect the warranty. How long warranty do you get on this phone? Is it 1 year or 2 years?

I was considering the 9320 as it has a better battery, but I only need it to last it a good full day. Also, the 9360 has the better screen and just looks a lot nice!

Thanks and ATB

James
    No problem at all.

There is "1500mah", but then again, thats what the vendor says. I highly doubt that it really is 1500mah. It lasts the same period of time as the original 1000mah battery as far as i can tell. Long term wise, I'm not exactly sure how well it is going to age. But then again, i havent used that spare battery for quite some time already. Have no need for that since i charge my phone every night.

In my country, the distributors of BlackBerry gave 2 years warranty for all BB. But i'm sure that will vary.

Not to mention 9360 has a better camera, and NFC as well. I do prefer the slimmer, sleeker design of the 9360 over the 9320. But 9320 is more utilitarian imo. The lock screen button, and the buttons beside the trackpad are all individual buttons. Making it easier to press. These buttons on the 9360 can be a bit stiff, though over time, it gets easier to press (or maybe i got use to pressing harder). I did contemplate switching to a 9320, but since i only need my battery to last a day normally, i went with what i prefer overall, the 9360.

Though battery life can really differ from user to user. Some report it being lousy, needing to charge by mid day. Some report it as being able to last 1-2 days. Best way is just to try it out yourself. For me i am not much of an app user. I only have a couple of 3rd party apps, no live weather update or whatsoever. Also no automatic updates on facebook or twitter. So i can get idle drain rate of around 1% per hour when phone is not in use.

Maybe we can start a poll on 9360 battery life. haha.
    06-26-12 07:34 AM
    Some reading material regarding 9360's battery life.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-life-714920/
    06-26-12 07:36 AM
    No problem at all.

There is "1500mah", but then again, thats what the vendor says. I highly doubt that it really is 1500mah. It lasts the same period of time as the original 1000mah battery as far as i can tell. Long term wise, I'm not exactly sure how well it is going to age. But then again, i havent used that spare battery for quite some time already. Have no need for that since i charge my phone every night.

In my country, the distributors of BlackBerry gave 2 years warranty for all BB. But i'm sure that will vary.

Not to mention 9360 has a better camera, and NFC as well. I do prefer the slimmer, sleeker design of the 9360 over the 9320. But 9320 is more utilitarian imo. The lock screen button, and the buttons beside the trackpad are all individual buttons. Making it easier to press. These buttons on the 9360 can be a bit stiff, though over time, it gets easier to press (or maybe i got use to pressing harder). I did contemplate switching to a 9320, but since i only need my battery to last a day normally, i went with what i prefer overall, the 9360.

Though battery life can really differ from user to user. Some report it being lousy, needing to charge by mid day. Some report it as being able to last 1-2 days. Best way is just to try it out yourself. For me i am not much of an app user. I only have a couple of 3rd party apps, no live weather update or whatsoever. Also no automatic updates on facebook or twitter. So i can get idle drain rate of around 1% per hour when phone is not in use.

Maybe we can start a poll on 9360 battery life. haha.
    Some reading material regarding 9360's battery life.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-life-714920/
    Thanks again Alex, Really useful information

As you said the best way to see the battery life is to get one and see how well it lasts.

So if I got one what would you recommend that I do? Update the OS to 7.? and anything else?

Really appreciate all your help!

Thanks and ATB

James
    06-26-12 08:06 AM
    No worries, just glad to be of help.

The main thing I would say is update to 7.1. Not just for battery life, but it also bring in new features like FM radio, mobile hotspot, etc. Also there is a battery saving mode that you can set to kick in at certain battery percentages, or kept always on. Which might help battery life.

Other then that, a lot of battery saving methods are dependent on your settings and usage methods. So just play around with it, find a setting that you're comfortable with. So just play around with it, have fun with exploring the settings and option. 9360 is a great leap compared to 9300 not just in hardware, but software as well. Despite my 9700 having better battery life, I can't see myself going back, because OS 7 is imo a pretty huge improvement.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    06-26-12 09:20 AM
    No worries, just glad to be of help.

The main thing I would say is update to 7.1. Not just for battery life, but it also bring in new features like FM radio, mobile hotspot, etc. Also there is a battery saving mode that you can set to kick in at certain battery percentages, or kept always on. Which might help battery life.

Other then that, a lot of battery saving methods are dependent on your settings and usage methods. So just play around with it, find a setting that you're comfortable with. So just play around with it, have fun with exploring the settings and option. 9360 is a great leap compared to 9300 not just in hardware, but software as well. Despite my 9700 having better battery life, I can't see myself going back, because OS 7 is imo a pretty huge improvement.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    Thanks again Alex

I have been offered a mint condition 9700 for �50 or I buy a new 9360 for �200 (4x times as much) - I think I will go for the 9360 though, especially as I will be keeping it for a while....

Thanks and ATB

James
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-26-12 02:47 PM
    I have ordered a 9360, so it should be here soon

Now I have a couple more questions :

How do I upgrade/update the software to 7.1? My carrier is Vodafone UK.

Also, I am looking at getting a spare battery for it, but I was wondering whether I should get a genuine one or a high capacity 3rd party one? (Like this one : HIGH CAPACITY REPLACEMENT EM1 EM-1 BATTERY FOR BLACKBERRY CURVE 9360 9370 | eBay)

Thanks and ATB

James
    07-02-12 06:02 AM
    I have ordered a 9360, so it should be here soon

Now I have a couple more questions :

How do I upgrade/update the software to 7.1? My carrier is Vodafone UK.

Also, I am looking at getting a spare battery for it, but I was wondering whether I should get a genuine one or a high capacity 3rd party one? (Like this one : HIGH CAPACITY REPLACEMENT EM1 EM-1 BATTERY FOR BLACKBERRY CURVE 9360 9370 | eBay)

Thanks and ATB

James
    A day late & a dollar short…
    (Ok several days late. Sorry I've been moving!)

Here's my updated OS install guide if anyone needs a refresher...

ELITE1's OS UPGRADE GUIDE

1. (Optional) Uninstall any previous OS from PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer, not Firefox or Chrome. (For leaked versions, browser is irrelevant.)
      *If 100% certain you've previously used FF or Chrome on same PC to DL an OS successfully, feel free to use FF or Chrome again.
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps with option to save settings to media card. Conduct Backup to media card within each of these apps. (Examples: Bellshare apps like BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps like Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop app like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, delete Vendor file located here:
      •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
      •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
    9. (Optional/Recommended) Run BB Boss v2.2 or BBH Tool (formerly Shrink-A-OS).
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click Loader to load OS to BB. Follow onscreen instructions.
    11. After loading OS, perform several physical battery pulls over first 1-2 days for OS to "settle in." Perform first batt pull very soon after OS is loaded.

TROUBLESHOOTING
    How to Fix OS not Appearing as Available
    There are 2 common reasons:

A. HIDDEN VENDOR FILE
    Consider trying this new desktop app to remove Vendor from several common locations:
    Vendor XML Remover V1.0

If manually deleting Vendor, always hold down SHIFT and press DELETE to permanently delete.
    Check here first:
    •64-bit: Computer\C:\Users\{USER NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    •32-bit: Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\{USER NAME}\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    If Loader still doesn't make new OS available, search PC for "Vendor".

If Vendor is not found anywhere, see below to delete contents of AppLoader folder. (Folder where you found Loader & Vendor.)

B. APPLOADER FOLDER ITEMS
    1. Uninstall the OS: Control Panel\Programs and Features, highlight this BlackBerry Device Software, click Uninstall at top.
    2. Delete AppLoader folder contents: Highlight any item, CTRL+A to select all, SHIFT+DELETE to permanently delete.
      •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
      •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
    3. Restart PC.
    4. Re-install OS on PC: Go to your browser's downloads section, double-click OS to start InstallShield Wizard.
    5. Delete Vendor: Return to AppLoader folder, highlight Vendor, SHIFT+DELETE.
    6. Load OS to BB: Attach BB to PC, double-click Loader (in AppLoader folder, where you deleted Vendor).

PS I've posted this before in other threads, but there always seems to be some people that appreciate a step-by-step each time.
    Congrats!!!

This is always a useful guide when updating OS. A few days ago there was a new official OS 7.1.0.523 from SmarTone HK. The OS seems pretty solid so far.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...4B931C35A169B0

Just select your device and download.

When following the guide above, just remember to delete vendor.xml.

---

That 3rd party battery actually look exactly the same as the one i have got. My review of it? it seems to last pretty similar to the original EM-1 battery. I wouldn't believe the 1500mah label at all. haha. I've almost never needed to use it, so i'm not sure how durable it is in the long run. But hey, at least its pretty cheap compared to the original. Though i rarely use it, it never hurts to have a spare in case of emergencies.

---

One of the things i bought first for the 9360 was the battery cover for 9370.

Battery Back Cover For Blackberry 9360 Curve Black Back Door Housing Case UK | eBay

This is probably 3rd party as well, not the OEM one for 9370, as the NFC antenna on that cover doesn't work. But it looks and feels better than the glossy one on the 9360. Though this is just a personal preference. haha.

photo credits: yishiang
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 07-02-12 at 07:40 AM.
    07-02-12 07:37 AM
    Congrats!!!

This is always a useful guide when updating OS. A few days ago there was a new official OS 7.1.0.523 from SmarTone HK. The OS seems pretty solid so far.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...4B931C35A169B0

Just select your device and download.

When following the guide above, just remember to delete vendor.xml.

---

That 3rd party battery actually look exactly the same as the one i have got. My review of it? it seems to last pretty similar to the original EM-1 battery. I wouldn't believe the 1500mah label at all. haha. I've almost never needed to use it, so i'm not sure how durable it is in the long run. But hey, at least its pretty cheap compared to the original. Though i rarely use it, it never hurts to have a spare in case of emergencies.

---

One of the things i bought first for the 9360 was the battery cover for 9370.

Battery Back Cover For Blackberry 9360 Curve Black Back Door Housing Case UK | eBay

This is probably 3rd party as well, not the OEM one for 9370, as the NFC antenna on that cover doesn't work. But it looks and feels better than the glossy one on the 9360. Though this is just a personal preference. haha.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

photo credits: yishiang
    Thanks a lot Alex!

I'll think I'll go for the genuine battery then, as it is only an extra �5 roughly.

I really like that battery cover Alex, looks very smart. I am intending to use a case on it, so I don't really need a different back cover (as it will hardly be seen/touched), but I will certainly consider it. On the subject of battery covers, What is the best way to remove them? (I have read that they are difficult to remove).

This is the case I will be using (if it is any good) : WHITE HYBRID CASE + SCREEN PROTECTOR FOR BLACKBERRY 9360 CURVE | eBay

I chose white as I think it will look good with the black phone, the only problem is that it will show dirty marks, so if the case is any good I will probably get a black version of it.

Thanks and ATB

James
    07-02-12 02:17 PM
    Its actually not that hard to remove once you get the hang of it. There is a small indentation on the opposite side of the camera button that you can use to get the cover open. I find it pretty easy to open it.

The case looks good ya. haha. but personally i'm not a huge fan of cases. Mine is pretty much naked except for screen protector.
    07-02-12 11:26 PM
    My curve lasts me from 7am to 4pm with about 40% left with bbm , fb , and twitter some texting too. I would buy oem battery.
    Be carefull removing the battery cover. With mine, over time it made the bezel loose and eventually had dust going in under the screen. I did have it replaced by my carrier.
    07-03-12 12:00 AM
    Just updated it using the Blackberry Desktop Software. It automatically told me that there was an update for it when I connected it, so I decided to let it do it.

It has updated to version 7.1 Bundle 1133 (Thats what Blackberry Desktop says).

I didn't test the battery before upgrading the OS, so can't comment on that. I'm just hoping 7.1 OS will have a good battery!

I will let you all know how I get on!
    07-03-12 11:57 AM
    Bundle 1133 should be 7.1.0.336 if memory serves me right. Thats a pretty solid OS too, and the version i was using.

Enjoy your new phone James!
    07-03-12 05:38 PM
    I'm having the same problem on my 9360, I guess I'll start testing to see how does my battery last longer
    07-21-12 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD