hello. I am about to deploy to the middle east and my company gave me a 9360. I was a little disappointed because up til now they were using the bold. We will have good data service over there but no cell so I wanted to put skype on this so I could use it as a phone on the data network. I can't get it to work or can't find the proper version. Is there a way to do this? Surely someone here will be able to help.

Thank you.
    12-17-11 03:06 PM
    The BlackBerry Skype apps only works on Verizon branded devices and on the Verizon network in the US (and also on the 3 network in the UK, and possibly Telkomsel in Indonesia). It does not work on WiFi.
    12-17-11 03:17 PM
    I see. That stinks. They started issuing verizon blackberrys but then switched to AT&T because they said the service over there was better. Knew they had to have better services somewhere in the world. Who would have thought it would be Iraq? lol

Thank you.
    12-17-11 03:20 PM
    Well, with Blackberry devices skype is limited and available for Verizon users exclusively.
    But if your Blackberry can be unlocked then it can be used with local prepaid sim cards.
    12-20-11 04:41 AM
    This is so stupid, I love BB but Skype seriously needs to work on this. Is there a particular reason for only partnering with VZW?

Has anyone had any success with skype alternatives? If any?
    12-20-11 12:13 PM
    This is so stupid, I love BB but Skype seriously needs to work on this. Is there a particular reason for only partnering with VZW?
    The answer is: MONEY. Verizon paid for an exclusive agreement.
    Azhar Manzoor likes this.
    12-20-11 04:54 PM
    hello. I am about to deploy to the middle east and my company gave me a 9360. I was a little disappointed because up til now they were using the bold. We will have good data service over there but no cell so I wanted to put skype on this so I could use it as a phone on the data network. I can't get it to work or can't find the proper version. Is there a way to do this? Surely someone here will be able to help.

Thank you.
    02-21-13 01:52 AM

Thank you.
    There is no official Skype app, but you can access Skype thorugh https://imo.im/ or Imo IM App on App World. However, i am not sure you can call skype contacts through Imo.

Apparently it is possible (never tried), but only for Skype contacts, not Skype Phones or Skype Out.

JP
    02-21-13 12:38 PM

Thank you.
    05-04-13 10:36 AM
    r u serious??? jus read on imo.im website they cannot. repeat CANNOT connect to Skype servers. dammm will BB10 b the only Skype capable devices?
    05-07-13 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD