I'll fill in till someone who does understand batteries comes along. But from the little physics I did, it is a small capacity battery only 1000mAH, which for a phone isn't a lot really. Depending on how you charged it would depend too on how quickly it charged, a USB to a computer would charge it slower, up to the mains and you'd have a higher current? Higher something which will mean its charged quicker as a result, a USB would put out less power.

The MaH stands for Milliampere-hour, it basically looks at "the electric charge transferred by a steady current of one ampere per hour" (Wikipedia) The less 'mAH's', generally the less time it should take to charge but the quicker it will drain, but that does depend on the battery etc, gets very confusing.

You also have the fact if you weren't using it it would have charged quicker compared to maybe another device you had before? The quicker it takes to charge, the less you'll use it while its charging!

Finally battery technology is advancing quickly, very quickly. A few years ago Sony made an MP3 payer that could provide 3 hours of music playback on 3 hours of charge. I have no solid numbers but its something like 80% of the charge is done in the first 20% of the time the last 20% takes the final 80%? Maybe exaggerated but similar is true for many newer devices.

The Curve has an all new battery and so I'd imagine RIM pumped a fair bit of research into it, a quicker charge time being one of the benefits

In short, its normal Its a smaller battery than normally put in Blackberries so its to be expected, probably because RIM aims the device at the younger demographic who want to be on the go and so don't want to be hanging around for a phone to charge!
    ericz likes this.
    10-12-11 09:34 AM
    I was just getting comfy with this whole battery life issue... I'd been using the phone heavily all day, and as I wasn't going out the next day (today) so I figured I'd charge it that evening and just leave it overnight.

It was done charging by 10pm and I used it for an hour before bed, downloaded 2 apps over wifi and then turned it (wifi) off right after, didn't even run the apps themselves, just a bit of texting. Bed at midnight and I got 2 emails and 1 fb message in the early hours of the morning the only notification was the LED. When I woke up the next morning (6am) the battery was on 30%, I'm not going to lie, I was shocked. I figured maybe it had just messed up but an hour or so of use and it physically shut down on me giving me the 'battery drained' message (7am).

From arikados report .400 isn't must better and I'm reluctant to waste time upgrading if it isn't worth it.

For clarification I have brightness turned right down, only vibrate in use when I'm awake, asleep I put it on silent, no vibrate, no social feeds, facebook doesn't update, neither does twitter and no IM'ing aside from BBM. The one thing I did forget last night was bedside mode which I normally do, but even then when I do that, its on charge.

The one time when i got brilliant battery life was when I turned 3g off and down to only 2g, but I would rather like to be able to use it as a 3g phone, that said its never been as bad as last night. I'm SURE its more of a software management of the battery issue so I'll hang around for a bit till someone releases a new software update, but not happy right now! 9 hours from arikados 37 though is an EXTREME difference! Also out of caution I deleted the 2 apps I downloaded, they were terrible free games anyways
    It is quite disappointing to know that RIM really hasnt learned to up the ante with the battery for blackberries...
    Even with my field reports, the fact that it was only a slight improvement (only when I have everything turned off like social feeds) then my old 8530 curve, is just a disappointment in itself.

For your report, that is pretty strange. It shouldn't last ONLY 9 hours, especially when you are idle-ing a lot. I may do a couple more small field reports just to confirm the length of the battery, but with my two days field report, I did manage to last 50% one day after going out and idling, and leaving it out over night to wake up at 45% and then use that for the rest of the day (with msn signed on).

and yes, don't upgrade to .400.. lol its terrible battery. I'm not sure why some peopel that upgraded said the battery life is great... its not- its also got that bubble SMS issue.

I'll do a couple more field reports with this firmware... I'm surprised we havent gotten a new one yet considering the new torch and bold got some
    10-12-11 10:58 AM
    I'm reloading .353 after another 9 hour stint of zero use and the battery being dead again. If this doesn't solve it its got to be a handset fault! Well either that or BIS
    10-12-11 11:18 AM
    ugh... i did some more testing with the blackberry.

Its 1:30 am now and my battery is now 25% after using it from 3 o clock.

I admit I used it heavily- lots of texting, signed onto MSN the whole time... TRIED to connect myself to foursquare locations.

But really? I used it until 9, so thats 6 hours that takes up 70% of battery.

Thats completely unacceptable for daily use. I can't imagine for someone like @mvwood who relies heavily on email usage on TOP of everything I did.

However- the fact that it DOES last a day tops for me at least is something to be satisfied about at least- knowing that I can leave the house and come back, and it'll be alive. I'll test the battery even further next time
    10-16-11 12:29 AM
    Yes, I'm happy and satisfied that my BB would still be alive even after constant or extensive use of BIS, nevermind the fast battery drain. Around 20-30% at the end of certain days. Although, will it be a bad thing to charge your phone everyday?
    10-16-11 05:15 AM
    The battery life on my 9350 is very good. I got it friday and played with it friday evening and most of yesterday before charing out of the box

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 09:46 AM
    Thanks for the field report Arikado.

I got my 9360 with OS .319 which has the back cover heating problem.
    I upgraded to OS .464 and the heating problem was fixed.

I want to know what is the best OS for battery life.

@Arikado
    What OS version are you using now? It seems that from your report .353 is better than .400.
    I want to know if you think it is better to downgrade to .353 form .464
    Thanks

Sent from my Curve 9360
    11-18-11 09:15 AM
    Thanks for the field report Arikado.

I got my 9360 with OS .319 which has the back cover heating problem.
    I upgraded to OS .464 and the heating problem was fixed.

I want to know what is the best OS for battery life.

@Arikado
    What OS version are you using now? It seems that from your report .353 is better than .400.
    I want to know if you think it is better to downgrade to .353 form .464
    Thanks

Sent from my Curve 9360
    np

I am currently still using .353. Its the most well rounded version so far- i dont get the bubble scrolling problem on BBM or SMS. .400 and .464 both have the scrolling problem (in SMS, when u scroll up to read past messages, it wont scroll back down to the latest or just tedious and annoying).

In terms of battery though, I haven't gotten to test .464, but i assume its not that much better then .353~ i used it for about an hour and it didnt drop much (just like .353). but thats hardly analysis. I'll only do reports with versions without the scrolling sms issue lol.

I recommend everyone use .353 for now.... though my battery life has been considerably worst lately because of WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER's new version... drains like **** >
    Last edited by arikado; 11-19-11 at 03:53 PM.
    yalo likes this.
    11-19-11 03:50 PM
    @Arikado Do you experience the back cover heating problem in version .353?

Well it is odd that I don't experience the sms-scroll-down issue with version .464. I've yet to see if it holds up.

Anyway, BBM is not used as the main chat client here in the Philippines. We use Facebook chat and Yahoo Messenger instead so I decided to remove BBM.

I have noticed that battery life has greatly improved since removing BBM. Take note that this is my second phone and I commonly use it lightly and I am not subscribed to any Blackberry Plan yet. Just plain sms, calls and using wifi for browsing the internet. Also, I did not install any 3rd party applications so I can properly gauge the battery life of 9360.

For the past 2 days I used 9360 very lightly, running .464 with BBM uninstalled. Almost always on standby.

1st Day:

Battery is fully charged and unplugged at 7am. At 10am 9360 is on standby for 3 hours and battery is still at 100%. (I was very surprised because, battery is usually at 80% after 2 hours of standby.)

9360 is used very lightly with few texts, no calls and about 30minutes of wifi internet browsing and one soft reset.

At 9pm, battery is still at 75% when I plugged in the charger.

I got 14 Hours of almost total standby with 75% remaining.

2nd Day:

Battery is fully charged and unplugged at 10pm. 40 minutes of wifi internet use made the battery go down 5%.
    At 2:47am after light use, with 90% battery, I used bedside mode.
    At 9am battery is at 85% when I exited Bedside mode. 9360 is on standby up to 1:30pm with 80% battery.

At 1:30pm, battery is still at 80% when I plugged in the charger.

I got 15 Hours of almost total standby with 80% remaining.

Conclusion:
    My 9360 usage is at the very minimum on these 2 days, it seems not installing 3rd party applications (to prevent unseen background battery use) and removing BBM greatly improved the battery life.

When BBM was not yet removed, then I used 9360 moderately, with lots of sms, 1 hour of call. 2 hours of internet and IM using wifi, and a lot of exploring/tinkering 9360 features. I get about 8-12 hours before the battery is at 25%-20%.

I am currently satisfied with the battery life.

I will install BBM and light use 9360 for comparison with this post.
    arikado and yalo like this.
    11-20-11 01:35 AM
    @heplock, nope I do not experience any heating at the back what so ever. I even have soft hard case protecting my blackberry and it seems to be in great temperature all the time.

The SMS/BBM scrolling issue occurs in bubble-type mode only, and it happens when you scroll up to read past messages in a thread with somebody, and try to scroll back down- it gets stuck and wont scroll all the way to the recent message OR the whole scrolling through the tread is just messed up completely. If you can confirm it scrolls properly (in bubble-mode) in SMS and BBM on .464 I'd be so greatful!!

@ your field report, thats great! I also dont have any third-party software, kept everything OFF, no push except for SMS and BBM. For me, 7 hours of moderate use = 50% drained. If I idle for 7 hours (texting only a little bit), it could be at 90% only by the end of it. So I think we have pretty comparable battery life. I would like to try .464 sometime unless a new one that fixes all problems is released soon..

I am a heavy Windows Live Messenger/MSN user, so all of my field reports included me being signed on 90% of the time. Without it though, I could last a pretty long time. Foursquare also drains battery a decent amount lol, I always forget to close that app when I open it up.....
    Facebook and twitter is A-OK. They dont drain much Unless you have it checking for feeds frequently, but i find that unnescessary.

My input for today
    yalo likes this.
    11-20-11 12:17 PM
    So conclusion is that if you use the 9360 smartphone *whitout* using it "as a smartphone" it last a decent amount of time.
    11-21-11 06:11 AM
    @franzfume
    Stock BB OS & stock applications is still "smart" if you ask me. I installed BBM back and it uses pretty much the same battery power.

I am gonna install 3rd party applications next to see what battery life is.

@Arikado

Apparently, I can experience the sms-scroll problem, I just didn't know how look for the problem.

I am verifying that OS .464 has the sms- scroll problem both when using "bubbles" or "stripes".

I have "universal search" disabled as I use "application shortcuts".
    When selecting a contact (by holding "C" or "A" key) to send an sms, the conversation with that contact opens right? That's when you do experience the sms scrolling problem.

The only instance that I don't experience the scroll issue is when you open the Text Messages application and browse your previous conversations there.

The sms-scroll issue is not that big a deal for me because I do not really browse for previous conversations. When I need to, I just open the Text Messages application.

About the BBM battery use that I posted earlier, it seems that BBM does not use that much battery power. I get almost the same battery life with BBM installed compared to battery life when BBM was uninstalled.

I am gonna install 3rd party applications next to see what battery life will be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-11 08:18 AM
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have to get this out there:

I have now traded in my Blackberry 9360 because of the appalling battery life. I used it a lot for music so I thought that may be the problem. I bought myself a �30 mp3 player another thing to charge and carry around but I thought it may give me a bit more battery life. It did but still not enough to last 12 hours out of the house.

Going on a night out? Remember to charge it before you go, I'm not the only one of my friends who was left without a phone to call a taxi on.

I wrote a load more ranting, but I've deleted it. I'm not here to hate on the poor phone, it was perfect for me, literally, the perfect phone, it could do everything I wanted and then some, but the battery it has is just not sufficient for the amount of power it uses.

If you don't have long days or don't mind carrying round a charger with you then go for it, because otherwise its a solid phone, amazing value... It will be sorely missed!
    01-26-12 03:56 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD