Well basically I'm trying to update my 9360 up to 7.1 I first tried though DM and it said there were none available nevertheless I looked on the list of updates and 7.1 was there! I though yay!!! I clicked it and tried to install and immediately got this (see attached) I then proceeded to download the actual update, did this, opened the .exe it said it was installing it then asked me to restart and open DM to install it as a local update, same again it says i need an active BlackBerry Subscription, which I add I'm pretty sure I have ? Any help?????!!!!
    05-28-12 06:28 PM
    There's plenty of these threads about and if you search 'blackberry 101' in these forums you'll find similar, but here are the basics that seem to catch most people out:

1) there are two 'vendor.xml' files on your PC - search for, and delete them both. Running a simple search from your start menu finds them, but make sure the search goes through hidden folders too. I sometimes do this several times just to make sure. Also, close down anything you're not using, emails, web pages, 3rd party softwares etc.

2) if this is your second or third upgrade, make sure the last OS is deleted off your PC also - do this from the add/remove programs bit.

3) then, and only then, open your desktop software (make sure its the latest version). If both vendor.xml files are deleted and there is only one OS upgrade to find, the BB desktop software should automatically display an available upgrade.

First time I did it an upgrade it took a while as you sometimes have to keep going back to the drawing board, but the two vendor.xml files is the one that gets most people. Also, make sure it is a 9360 OS upgrade and not a 9350 for instance, seems simple but does get some people. Just go through each stage slowly and you'll get it.

05-29-12 03:28 AM
    I dont have the start bar search Running XP So do you have any idea where these 'vendor.xml. files are located? I did a quick maual search through the Research in Motion folder in program files and came accross nothing. I'll look a little while longer though. Thanks
    05-29-12 08:27 AM
    Yes, if I remember correctly they are in program files > common files > research in motion > AppLoader

Use Google to search your PC maybe?
    05-29-12 08:34 AM
    I dont have the start bar search Running XP So do you have any idea where these 'vendor.xml. files are located? I did a quick maual search through the Research in Motion folder in program files and came accross nothing. I'll look a little while longer though. Thanks

You can use this app. (Vendelete+): http://ubersurfer.com/files/vendeleteplus.zip, it will remove both vendor xml files. If your app. loader/DM still can't detect the OS, you can check and try my work around over here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...18/index2.html

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sator; 05-30-12 at 05:18 AM.
    05-29-12 12:22 PM
    Basically it's easy to upgrade BlackBerry 9360 to OS 7.1. You need to install the BlackBerry Desktop Software (BDS) and then download the Device OS (better to download the official release). Connect your BlackBerry device to the PC / Notebook via USB cable and run the BDS. The BDS should prompt you that there is an update available. I follow the tutorial on How to Upgrade BlackBerry OS 7.0 to OS 7.1 | Techonia and it works fine for me.
    07-16-12 09:24 AM
    Assuming the Blackberry Desktop Software (BDS) and official OS 7.1 are used, and assuming the official standard steps are followed, make sure you have a DATA plan from your carrier.

A friend had only a "talk and text plan". Every step for upgrade to OS 7.1 was followed correctly, but she got this nagging "need an active BlackBerry Subscription" message. After calling the carrier to add a DATA plan, she was able to upgrade, no problem. (She paid data for ONE month only, just so she could upgrade and install her must-have apps.)
    07-16-12 10:12 AM
    I am having the same problem.
    Is getting a Data Plan the only way to get the "Active Blackberry Subscription"?
    Or can one simply get a subscription in another way (like for free, just signing up somewhere)?
    07-24-12 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD