from intomobile

The other night was a little disappointing since neither of the new BlackBerry devices announced (the Torch 9810 and Torch 9850/60) had near-field communications or mobile Wi-Fi hotspot features. The upcoming Curve 9360 (code-named Apollo), may very well have them included, however. This is pretty interesting, considering we�re expecting the 9360 to be a lower-tier option among the new BlackBerry devices.

From what we�ve seen, the BlackBerry 9360 will run OS 7 just like the Bold 9900, Torch 9810, and Torch 9850/60, but have a more modest 480 x 360 display, 800 MHz processor, and 512 MB of RAM. A magnetic compass seems to be one of the few consistent threads across RIM�s new devices, and will likely find its way into the 9360, unless of course they want to keep the price low and decide to take it out. The camera matches the bigger BlackBerry brothers at 5 megapixels with an LED flash � a definite improvement over the Curve 9300. It won�t have a touchscreen, but we hear that a variant code-named Orlando will.

The only reasons I could see for RIM pulling mobile hotspot out of the Torch 9810 and 9850/60 is that either carriers wanted to nix it, or RIM could get the software ready and optimized in time. If the latter ends up being true, we might see mobile hotspot unlocked in a firmware update down the line. It�s too bad that there�s so much complication here, since it�s a pretty standard feature for smartphones now, and there are still other stuff RIM needs to start getting into their phones, like DLNA for sharing media to home entertainment systems over the local Wi-Fi. NFC is less of a necessity since there�s still not a huge retail presence for contactless payments, but it�s an unavoidable eventuality, and having a strong presence in that space could give RIM a much-needed handhold in the future.

Are there certain features that are a must-have in new smartphones now? HDMI-out? DLNA? NFC? Mobile hotspot?
    08-06-11 06:34 AM
    And yet the 9900 goes begging for mobile hotspot. Very interesting.
    08-06-11 06:48 AM
    It wouldn't surprise me to see mobile hotspot added to all these devices later on in an update, but I would bet that the 9360 is that close to being announced that it also won't have the feature right away either as that would just ensure too much criticism for Rim for leaving it out of the announced models.
    08-07-11 06:46 AM
    My guess is that RIM's working on NFC and Hotspot, but since they're too buggy, RIM either disables thin in the initial launch software, or they have simply failed to advertise those features for the moment.

Same thing as how the PlayBook has USB OTG and some other doodads, but RIM does not ever mention them.
    08-07-11 09:04 PM
    I'll bet $500 that screen cap is showing OS 6.1
    08-07-11 09:06 PM
    can confirm no hotspot as of yet...

but could be coming with os update
    08-12-11 10:27 AM
    I have just picked up a shiny new 9360 and can confirm there is no wireless hotspot feature on it, kinda pissed as really wanted that feature and was how i managed to convince the wife to allow me to get a new phone
    10-25-11 11:40 AM
    I'll be very upset if we don't ever end up seeing the HotSpot feature. Probably be my last Blackberry if that happens.
    10-25-11 01:06 PM
    Interestingly, when I called T-Mobile to fix some of my BIS issues with the 9360 they offered me a teathering plan since they said their records indicated my device has MOBILE HOTSPOT capability
    10-25-11 08:46 PM
    We just have to wait for it to be enabled in an OS update.

Although RIM is probably waiting until they optimize battery life more; as otherwise this thing will be dead in two hours.
    10-26-11 11:13 AM
    Somebody (an owner) can give feedback about NFC?
    I read tag-reading not possible/only some tags, an O.S. update wil resolve the problem november/december.
    And sharing-pairing? It seems we need the new BB tag-app, that comes "soon"?
    Any feedback about NFC out of the box, or about installed NFC-app ?
    Thank you very much, Joao
    10-26-11 01:37 PM
    I've been trying to use the limited Smart Tags application, but nobody else I knoew has a NFC capable smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Joao Rostli likes this.
    10-26-11 09:44 PM
    I've been trying to use the limited Smart Tags application, but nobody else I knoew has a NFC capable smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    no use right now...
    Joao Rostli likes this.
    10-27-11 02:30 AM
    clear, thanks
    10-27-11 09:15 AM
    Smart Tags app allows you to write a smart poster data (web link?) to a tag.
    And then every time anyone with NFC enabled phone tap that tag, it will (after user confirmation) take them to the web page you programmed the tag with.
    10-29-11 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD