Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,249 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Rebooting With Non Stock Themes - Please Read!

3rd Party Themes - Carrier Logo - Uncaught Exceptions - Missing Icons

How to get past those errors:
    1. Let the phone boot and wait for the Carrier Logo screen and/or Errors.
    2. After the Carrier Logo is "stuck", hold the Red End/Power button and let the phone turn off. If you are not stuck on the Carrier screen and just have errors or missing icons, proceed to step 4.
    3. Turn the phone back on and you should be able to get past the Carrier Logo.
    4. Change to a stock theme.
    5. Do a battery pull. The phone should boot this time.
    6. Read messages.
    7. Activate your favorite theme.

As long as you don't reboot with unread messages and a non stock theme, you will not have the problem.

In hope to still figure out a solution to the 3rd party themes problems i have been doing everything i can in order to HAVE the problem. I could never get my BB to have the problem so many other were talking about. Until now.

I'm running OS .168.

I find that I personally get the carrier logo stuck when i have a 3rd party theme loaded AND I have a unread item. So far i have verified that I personally get errors when:

1- I have unread EMAILS. (SMS, MMS and BBM messages did not cause the problem)
    2- I UPGRADE the active theme. (I do not have a problem when installing new themes nor upgrading non-active themes) (not always does this cause a problem either)

So far these are the ONLY times i get any problems with 3rd party themes. I had hope to find more situations where the problems arise, but have not. Other things i have tried is Task Reminders, running programs, and rebooting while in Mass storage Mode.

On a side note, i have found that even when i get the carrier logo stuck, by holding the RED power/end button, letting the phone shut off, turning it back on, i can at least get past the carrier logo without using BB DM to delete the theme. There are still errors, you will still need to reboot, but you won't have to uninstall and reinstall your favorite theme. You will just need to switch to a stock theme (i don't have to use stock themes, just can't have unread messages) before rebooting.

Anyone else wanna chime in about what was going on with their BB before they rebooted and had a Error? for me to get the errors only when i have a unread message seams like it could be avoidable.
    Last edited by mrtolles; 04-23-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Added Instructions to Fix.
    Thanked by:
    Jame Thittaya (11-17-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,249 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

popokew, what OS are you running now? Is it all all 3rd party themes? Do you have any unread messages?

I personally had to go looking for the problem. I didn't ever have an issue but then someone stated that one of my themes caused the problem and i'm the type that going to try to fix it even if it has nothing to do with my theme.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

mrtolles, the issue is definitely related to the un-read messages. Very strange but as long as you mark all messages as read (opened) before you re-start your phone when you have a 3rd party theme active then you are good to go.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by aristile View Post
    mrtolles, the issue is definitely related to the un-read messages. Very strange but as long as you mark all messages as read (opened) before you re-start your phone when you have a 3rd party theme active then you are good to go.
    Humm.. This makes me think it is still a Plazmic issue as its come up on different OS versions. Also, I have made "today" themes and message icon in the today area still doesnt show correctly with an asterisk or not.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,249 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by popokew View Post
    Humm.. This makes me think it is still a Plazmic issue as its come up on different OS versions. Also, I have made "today" themes and message icon in the today area still doesnt show correctly with an asterisk or not.
    Yeah, were were all sure it was Plazmic, but some users had problems and some did not. We had figured it had to be something on the device that caused the problem. Hopefully future releases will address the issue, but in the meantime, Theme builders can hopefully start adding the workaround to to the theme description. I know for me personally, I did not like that MY theme caused problems with users Blackberries.

And with your "Today" messages problem. I do not think that the asterisk is there on the today area. Only unread messages show in the Today messages so to have an asterisk would be a bit redundant.

aristile, thanks for confirming the issue on your end. I know i respect your opinion and i'm sure there there are many other that do as well.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    PIN
    2589d3??

Yes I agree it has to do with plazmic builder
    I was testdriving some of my themes when I stumbled upon this problem

When you are on a custom theme and you receive a new message and you perform a pull or reboot (alt+****+enter)
    without prior marking It as read (read It, open It) or simply deleteing It
    then after reboot you get a java exception

Even If I reconstruct the theme from the ground the same happens DUH!

Two Solutions
    1. Revert to original theme and either mark as read the message(s) or delete It and then reboot
    2. Through the theme's today panel select the message and click on It so as to make It flagged as read or just delete It and then reboot
    Last edited by sugardad; 05-04-2009 at 06:18 PM.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,249 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by sugardad View Post
    Yes I agree it has to do with plazmic builder
    I was testdriving some of my themes when I stumbled upon this problem

-edit

Even If I recnstruct the theme the same happens DUH!
    There is not "Real" fix as of now. Best thing we can do is make sure when posting out themes that we are informing the members of the potential problem.

I was told just today that the latest Plazmic fixed the issue but i just tested it and it did not. This problem is resolved on OS 5.0 BETA, but i do not suggest upgrading to a BETA OS for this fix.

The fact that the problem is gone on OS 5.0 BETA, i'd say it really has to do with the BB's 4.6 OS having a conflict with Plazmic 4.7. But Plazmic 4.7 and BB 5.0 OS play nice so i don't think it is JUST Plazmic.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    PIN
    2589d3??

Ok I've Updates to OS5
    It's not Plazmic Issue
    I repeat It's NOT Plazmic's Fault
    It's OS 4.6 Fault

Beta 5.0.0.93 for Curve 8900 thread

Please If you have D\L any os other than .231
    e.g. 239, 26x, 25x
    post If this bug Is fixed or stays In current 4.6 series OS
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,249 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by sugardad View Post
    Ok I've Updates to OS5
    It's not Plazmic Issue
    I repeat It's NOT Plazmic's Fault
    It's OS 4.6 Fault

Beta 5.0.0.93 for Curve 8900 thread

Please If you have D\L any os other than .231
    e.g. 239, 26x, 25x
    post If this bug Is fixed or stays In current 4.6 series OS
    I have tried every OS and yes, it is an 4.6 issue.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

I was going out of my mind trying to figure this out and was going to resort to violence against my BB. I think I need some anger management classes after dealing with this issue. Now that I know what the problem is and fixed it with your help I can breathe a sigh of relief!!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!