CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will a bell SIM Card work in a Rogers phone when it comes out

I have a 8900 curve straight from RIM and i was wondering, when bell goes to sim cards if it will work in the phone?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Provided the phone is unloacked, there is no reason why not. To see if your phone is unlocked, go to Options, Advanced Options, SIM Card and see if it says SIM Card: Security Disabled. If it says this, you should be good to go.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

Is the phone branded at all?
    History:: ((Windows Mobile )) -> Tmobile Perl 8110 -> Tmobile 8320 -> ATT Bold 9000 ((unlocked)) -> Tmobile Curve II 8900 -> iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4G -> Samsung Captivate -> Blackberry Torch 9800
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    PIN
    28a72417

Quote Originally Posted by evrydayzawrkday View Post
    Is the phone branded at all?
    same here.....if its "straight" from RIM would it be branded by any carrier???
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Branding does not come into it if the SIM card is unlocked.

Branding is only the splash logo and the Vendor ID. The only thing this affects is when you load an OS and the Vedndor ID determines which themes get put on the phone.

If the phone came direct from RIM, then the Vendor ID will be a non-specific carrier one.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    PIN
    28a72417

how can you unlock a sim card? i thought u could unlock a phone to work with any sim card but not the other way around. or when u unlock "it" u actually unlock the sim card and not the actual phone?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Quote Originally Posted by my240sx88 View Post
    how can you unlock a sim card? i thought u could unlock a phone to work with any sim card but not the other way around. or when u unlock "it" u actually unlock the sim card and not the actual phone?
    Sorry for my not being clear. You do not unlock the SIM card itself, you unlock the the phone and this is called unlocking. The process unlocks (allows) any compatible SIM card from any carrier to be used in a phone that may have been bought from a carrier as a part of a subsidised contract.

You can see if your phone is SIM unlocked by reading and following the instructions in my first post in this thread.

This process is often used by those who have bought subsidised phones and wish to travel abroad and need to use a foreign carrier's SIM card. Another use of SIM unlocking is to use your phone in cour country on a different carrier.

So it is not the card that gets unlocked, it is the phone. My bad.
    CrackBerry User

Your phone needs to be unlocked and be 3g for the phone to work on a bell sim card (Bold 9000)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dhotston View Post
    Your phone needs to be unlocked and be 3g for the phone to work on a bell sim card (Bold 9000)
    This is where I'm getting confused. Some forums say yes, some say no.

I just bought an 8900 which is unlocked. The Bell SIM card wouldn't read in the phone. My network is currently on SOS right now so I can only make emergency calls.

the 8900 has the same frequencies as a tour, or bold, just those ALSO have the HSPA frequencies as well.. wouldn't it STILL be able to run on the 850-1900 frequency? I don't care at all about 3G speeds I just want a Blackberry that will work.

SO. FRUSTRATED.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crystal8484 View Post
    This is where I'm getting confused. Some forums say yes, some say no.

I just bought an 8900 which is unlocked. The Bell SIM card wouldn't read in the phone. My network is currently on SOS right now so I can only make emergency calls.

the 8900 has the same frequencies as a tour, or bold, just those ALSO have the HSPA frequencies as well.. wouldn't it STILL be able to run on the 850-1900 frequency? I don't care at all about 3G speeds I just want a Blackberry that will work.

SO. FRUSTRATED.
    The Tour is completely different technologies from the Bold and 8900. So a carrier that supports the Tour is not going to support the Bold or the 8900.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,490 Global Posts

Let us know if you need it unlocked
    CrackBerry User

i was told telus and bell sim card only works over seas when no cdma network is available.
    so no your unlocked phone wont work with bell or telus sim in canada in europe yes.
    so i was told by sales reps, they might be mistaken.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

yea too late i just saw this thread now. the Bell (cdma network only) SIM is just like the Verizon one. it will only pick up GSM networks while overseas, allowing you to roam there. here in north america, it will ONLY use CDMA networks (native Bell or roaming on Verizon or Sprint) to work. you cant just take the SIM card from a CDMA carriers phone and have it work on a domestic GSM carrier. it doesnt work like that. you need another CDMA phone or CDMA/GSM hybrid phone to use on Bell. but it will never roam on a domestic GSM network while you are here, only CDMA.

btw OP, you stated "when bell goes to sim cards". are you saying they are totally switching their networks from CDMA to GSM (i highly doubt that). or are they just doing what Verizon/Vodafone did and allow for overseas roaming with a branded SIM card in their CDMA/GSM devices.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 11-24-2009 at 11:35 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Question 8700r

New to site so be gentle..I have a old 8700r that was with rodgers.Phone sim now says card security disabled. Can I now use this phone with bell or is it too old???