Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Why in the world

Today I witnessed the dumbest design feature in the history of engineering.

Apparently on the Blackberry 8900, if you guess the password wrong more than 10 times, your phone gets completely erased. RIM says this is a security feature. But if my phone did get stolen, all someone would have to do is guess the password 10 times and the phone is then unlocked although without the data, but my phone would be theirs. What is the point of a phone lock if it is passable and deletes all your information.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by m403728 View Post

Apparently on the Blackberry 8900, if you guess the password wrong more than 10 times, your phone gets completely erased. RIM says this is a security feature. But if my phone did get stolen, all someone would have to do is guess the password 10 times and the phone is then unlocked although without the data, but my phone would be theirs. What is the point of a phone lock if it is passable and deletes all your information.
    You just answered your own question.

Global Posts
    12,984 Global Posts

New to Blackberry??? It is about security, but what are they suppose to do for people that do forget their password... does happen... and thieves are thieves, at least they don't have you personal info... and you can report it stolen and the thieve can NOT change the devices PIN.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    up grrrrrl

Hmm. That's pretty crazy. I'd never heard of that before...

Anyone more exp'd than me know the story on this?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

The point of the security feature is so people can't mess around with the phone.

If a thief got my phone there is no way that they could ever get the password. In addition, I have my password on so that people I know can't read my text messages and mess around with my phone (we all know this happens). But if someone wants to be a ****, they can just guess my password wrong ten times and my phone is deleted.

A security feature should protect the phone, not provide a way to destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by CatAlex View Post
    Hmm. That's pretty crazy. I'd never heard of that before...

Anyone more exp'd than me know the story on this?
    There is no story. It's a security feature. If someone wipes your phone and can use it, you can easily call your provider anyway and have the PIN on the phone blocked so they can't use it for data.

The point of the security feature is so people can't mess around with the phone.

If a thief got my phone there is no way that they could ever get the password. In addition, I have my password on so that people I know can't read my text messages and mess around with my phone (we all know this happens). But if someone wants to be a ****, they can just guess my password wrong ten times and my phone is deleted.

Thus the beauty of the backup/restore system.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you don't want to use the password, there are applications that lock out the phone, without ever deleting data. Patternlock is one that jumps to mind.

But, to get around that someone only needs to take out your battery to reset the phone, and they are in anyway.

The password deleting the device is to protect YOUR information, if it were lost or stolen. That is one of the reasons that RIM (and everyone else) suggests that you do regular backups of your device. So you can restore to a new device if yours happens to get lost or stolen.

Global Posts
    12,984 Global Posts

Maybe you should go design and build your own phone... sounds like you have very different ideas of how things work... go tell RIM they've done this wrong for so many years and they should fix it because you think it should be changed!!!
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

This is absolutely a security feature and in no way destroys
    (your words) the phone. It works exactly the way you describe
    and for the exact reasons you describe.

If your phone is stolen you should contact your carrier and
    have the PIN and IMEI/ESN/MEID blacklisted. Now not only does the
    thief not have your personal info, the also have a phone
    that cannot work ever.

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

It is great that this feature is in place so that a thief (or someone worse) doesn't get their hands on your device and have access to your personal information. You also should get into the habit of backing up your device frequently for many reasons. One of those reasons is if someone around you is vindictive (as it sounds like is in your case) and enters in your password 10 times to wipe your device. If you keep up with backups (which you should) then you can just restore the most recent backup and be on your way.
    Banned

PIN
    24HELLO

The iPhone doesn't do this cuz its smarter. Muahahaha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    PIN
    ... That's Private ...

Default wait, slow down there...

Quote Originally Posted by forever29 View Post
    Thus the beauty of the backup/restore system.
    beauty?
    really?

are you kidding?

how is that beautiful?

to have to settle for the most primitive form of security?

sorry i think i might have to side with the opposition on this one.

imagine if someone stole your ATM card and after trying to obtain money from your account, failing 10 times would wipe out your account and delete all the money and traces of your account and information.

of course your ATM card is not a personal device, at least not yet it's not...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    PIN
    ... That's Private ...

Default i'm not sure about that...

Quote Originally Posted by aristile View Post
    It is great that this feature is in place so that a thief (or someone worse) doesn't get their hands on your device and have access to your personal information. You also should get into the habit of backing up your device frequently for many reasons. One of those reasons is if someone around you is vindictive (as it sounds like is in your case) and enters in your password 10 times to wipe your device. If you keep up with backups (which you should) then you can just restore the most recent backup and be on your way.
    funny thing is, as easy as it is to wipe the device out, it is just as easy to completely lock it down.

a safety measure such as what you are talking about just goes to show how UNSAFE RIM's security on their devices really are.

i don't know, call me stupid, but how hard is it to self destruct?
    now, explain how difficult it is to just completely brick a device?
    almost seem like the same function, only the outcome is different. RIGHT?
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    247839d7

sometimes, and for a lot of people the information stored on their phone is worth much more than the phone itself.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    27E7049D

Even if the Instrument is Stolen / Lost & Then Reset as Stated Above . . . As Long As Your PIN Isn't Released By Whom-Ever Your Service Provider Is, The Instrument Will Be Useless. Some Consolation But Either Way All Your Data Is Sill Lost, Unless You Have a Recent Back-Up To Restore To New Device
    The Truth Is A Lie, A Lie Is The Truth, There Is No Truth In Truth, There Is Only A Lie. Discover This And Only Then Do You Know The Truth.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Eh this feature could be a good and a bad thing. I really dont like it cause I left my phone lying around one of my friends was one of my friends were trying to go through it and was one more incorrect guess from getting my phone wiped clean.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ennTOXX View Post
    beauty?
    really?

are you kidding?

how is that beautiful?

to have to settle for the most primitive form of security?

sorry i think i might have to side with the opposition on this one.

imagine if someone stole your ATM card and after trying to obtain money from your account, failing 10 times would wipe out your account and delete all the money and traces of your account and information.

of course your ATM card is not a personal device, at least not yet it's not...
    This is so far from being a good comparison it's ridiculous.

If you don't want a password on your device because you think it's a "dumb" feature, don't enable one. And if/when your device is stolen and the thief has access to all your phone numbers, addresses, emails, texts, pictures, call logs, etc, don't come whining to us about it.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    PIN
    24B72BF3

This post is so stupid.

IF someone were to steal your phone and guess the password by the 10th try and have access to all your private info, then it's your fault for having such an easy password.

In this case just contact your carrier and have them disable unit with PIN or IMEI so that it becomes useless.

IF someone grabs your phone and starts trying to guess your password (friend, child, etc) and it wipes your phone, just do a restore with the back up feature on your computer. Now you can kick your friend's asss or learn not to leave your phone around your kids.

What's the big deal??

Oh and if someone steals my ATM Card and after several failed PIN attempts the bank freezes entire account, I'd be greatful.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,013 Global Posts

This OP can't be serious.

Here is a scenario for you....

Thief steals phone, thief tries passwords 150 times before finally guessing the right one and gets into the phone. He now has access to all of your phone numbers, all of your contacts, your email address, your address, your friend's addresses, your work info, your internet history, including possible saved passwords and logins, etc, etc.

Now, you would rather that scenario than having a phone auto-delete any private content after 10 wrong password guesses?

If you would, well, I have no real comment...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    PIN
    it to the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by marc539 View Post
    This post is so stupid.

IF someone were to steal your phone and guess the password by the 10th try and have access to all your private info, then it's your fault for having such an easy password.

In this case just contact your carrier and have them disable unit with PIN or IMEI so that it becomes useless.

IF someone grabs your phone and starts trying to guess your password (friend, child, etc) and it wipes your phone, just do a restore with the back up feature on your computer. Now you can kick your friend's asss or learn not to leave your phone around your kids.

What's the big deal??

Oh and if someone steals my ATM Card and after several failed PIN attempts the bank freezes entire account, I'd be greatful.
    +1 Can I get an Amen?
    Life motto’s
    Drive Hard, Dream Big
    &
    Fake it 'till you make it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask Me

I had someone call in the other day cause they lost their blackberry and wanted to know if we could wipe it..which u all know we can't but I did run across a feature you can get..u install it on ur berry and then there's a webpage throuh att that let's you wipe it from your home pc...just have to log into the page and it gives u a few options...don't remember the feature but ill look it up tomarrow...than that would solve your problem with security

CrackBerry Newbie

Actually the President carries a blackberry because of the enhanced security feature. RIM did create another security chip that enhances the security feature a little more than the average person. I have a password on my blackberry simply because I have a lot of information on my phone that if I DID loose it i would not want someone to get their hands on.

I have lost my blackberry one time and I wasn't so much worried about the phone as I was everything that was in it. I mean my phone is insured so it's not such a big deal. I just paid my deductible and then got another one but I would have paid 3x's my deductible to get all of the information in my phone back.

Now I do create a back-up file at least every other day. It stores EVERYTHING, it's like you never lost your phone in the first place.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,248 Global Posts
    PIN
    i'll show you mine if you show me yours

this is an amazing security feature. it goes even further on BES where if ur BB is stolen the IT dept can even send out a signal to initiate the data wipe. remember, important people with sensitive data don't care about the phone, they just don't want data getting into wrong hands.

you might be new to RIM, but RIM isn't new to the world of security. this isn't a new feature from RIM.

besides, if anyone found a stolen phone, be it blackberry or not, with some tech savy they could easily wipe it/flash it and have it ready for their personal use in no time. rims's security feature ensures no one can access ur personal/corporate data.

Research proves BlackBerry offers the most secure solution at SmartPhoneCool.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    PIN
    I uninstalled BBM.

This is one of my biggest gripes with BlackBerry and one of the reasons I went back to Windows Mobile. Let the thief figure out the hard reset key sequence, which varies by manufacturer or even by model.

RIM just hands your phone to the thief on a silver platter.
    Bold 9700 with OS 5.0.0.714.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast