Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default We Were A Bunch of Suckers

I feel bad for those of us that got this phone about two years ago...

It was one of the last phones with a trackball which notoriusly has problems...

It was running on EDGE network...and right after this phone all the 3G devices started rolling out...

All in all I feel like this device was the Sega Dreamcast of Blackberries...it was cool when it came out but so much better stuff came out right after it, it kind of got forgotten by the wayside...

Not to mention every thread in this section is all about the problems people are having...

What do you all think?
    8900 -> 9700 -> 9810 -> 9900 -> Z10 -> Z30
    Crackberry Marketplace Feedback | Follow me: @apalm8

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,503 Global Posts

Of course the threads are about problems. Why else would you start a thread? This is a help forum after all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

I disagree, I still love my 8900 despite the bigger and better BBs that are out now. The form factor is absolutely perfect and I much prefer the chiclet keyboard to the Bold-style one. Also, I've had no problems with my trackball (at least nothing that a quick cleaning with rubbing alcohol can't fix).

Yes, I wish it had 3G, a better camera, and was OS 6-compatible, but I still love my 8900.
    Thanked by 3:
    mimicurtis (02-01-2011),  Moon_Juice (01-20-2011),  rafishinoda (01-15-2011) 

Remember the 8900 shipped with OS 4.6.1 just like the 9000 shipped with 4.6. They were both given OS 5.0 but neither are capable of OS 6. So I'd say the 8900 wasn't forgotten by RIM. If anything you should ask a Storm2 owner how they feel
    Wallpaper Changer HD for BB10 A MUST HAVE APP - Automatically rotates your wallpaper - Now with battery % meter, weather and more!

Evolution Web Browser with Ad Block - The ultra fast web browser with gestures and full screen browsing
    Ultimate ScreenSaver - Includes weather, rss news, clock and more! Many scenes including Aquarium and Fireplace or use your own pictures

Visit: http://www.shao-soft.com
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    33,463 Global Posts

BlackBerry just happened to be slower to release 3G devices than other companies.

For instance, the Nokia N75 was available on AT&T in the 2nd quarter of 2007, and it was a 3G device.

Then again, there was no 3G iPhone until July 2008 either.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

I did my research and determined that I didn't need a Bold 9000. Also I wash my hands regularly, and I've never had any trackball troubles.

As for the Dreamcast, it was killed by Sega of Japan's constant sabotaging of Sega of America, after SOJ was made to look foolish with SOA's handling of the Genesis in the US. Including Sonic the Hedgehog as a pack-in title was a stroke of brilliance, which resulted in Sega taking 8% of the video game market from Nintendo, a massive coup at the time.

SOJ hamstrung SOA at every opportunity after that, including announcing the Saturn at the end of the Mars project's development, pushing the Saturn out six months ahead of schedule with no development kits in developers' hands, and all of two launch titles that were past their prime in the arcades.

The Dreamcast was killed in part by SOJ's puppet mastery of their newly-installed SOA president, and by Sony baiting and switching. Remember that the PS2 was able to "render Toy Story in real time"? Hahaha, oh what a scam. The PS2 was also the cheapest consumer DVD player available at the time, which was a sales multiplier. The disc read error class action suits came later.

Another suspect in the murder of the Dreamcast was the "mysterious" corporation which funded the production of bootleg Dreamcast games with the bootloader on the discs. But that is a tale for another day.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts

I had an 8900 and I guess I loved it while I owned it. I did feel like I was getting a "dated" device because of some of the reasons the OP stated, such as having a trackball (though I had no problems with that whatsoever and I had it for a year) and being an EDGE device. I can't see myself going back to it, though. Maybe a different BlackBerry if something decent comes out, but right now the lineup doesn't interest me personally.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Removed because of BBM spam

I like mine, but after setting up my wifes new torch it feels dated......I have torch envy..sob...sob.:-)

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Xiado View Post
    I did my research and determined that I didn't need a Bold 9000. Also I wash my hands regularly, and I've never had any trackball troubles.

As for the Dreamcast, it was killed by Sega of Japan's constant sabotaging of Sega of America, after SOJ was made to look foolish with SOA's handling of the Genesis in the US. Including Sonic the Hedgehog as a pack-in title was a stroke of brilliance, which resulted in Sega taking 8% of the video game market from Nintendo, a massive coup at the time.

SOJ hamstrung SOA at every opportunity after that, including announcing the Saturn at the end of the Mars project's development, pushing the Saturn out six months ahead of schedule with no development kits in developers' hands, and all of two launch titles that were past their prime in the arcades.

The Dreamcast was killed in part by SOJ's puppet mastery of their newly-installed SOA president, and by Sony baiting and switching. Remember that the PS2 was able to "render Toy Story in real time"? Hahaha, oh what a scam. The PS2 was also the cheapest consumer DVD player available at the time, which was a sales multiplier. The disc read error class action suits came later.

Another suspect in the murder of the Dreamcast was the "mysterious" corporation which funded the production of bootleg Dreamcast games with the bootloader on the discs. But that is a tale for another day.
    I'm pretty sure 99% of people will tell you that XBOX and PS2 is what did it in...why buy it when these better systems were going to be coming out?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by visualpurple View Post
    I disagree, I still love my 8900 despite the bigger and better BBs that are out now. The form factor is absolutely perfect and I much prefer the chiclet keyboard to the Bold-style one. Also, I've had no problems with my trackball (at least nothing that a quick cleaning with rubbing alcohol can't fix).

Yes, I wish it had 3G, a better camera, and was OS 6-compatible, but I still love my 8900.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneland View Post
    I had an 8900 and I guess I loved it while I owned it. I did feel like I was getting a "dated" device because of some of the reasons the OP stated, such as having a trackball (though I had no problems with that whatsoever and I had it for a year) and being an EDGE device. I can't see myself going back to it, though. Maybe a different BlackBerry if something decent comes out, but right now the lineup doesn't interest me personally.
    I myself had no trackball issues either...I was just speaking for blackberry's trackballs in general which were known to decrease in reliability over time...

CrackBerry Addict

I LOVE the trackball!
    HATE HATE HATE that pad.

That's one of the main reasons I'm hanging in with my 8900
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,278 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask :3

i have love for the 8900! and 10,000 cases for it! even though i've had i replaced two times (my fault really) i still looovvee it! why can they just make another curve exactly the same as this one for when my contract is up. buttt it has a 8mp camera, 3g, os 6 compatible, but still the same build so my cases will fit it :$
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by ria__x View Post
    i have love for the 8900! and 10,000 cases for it! even though i've had i replaced two times (my fault really) i still looovvee it! why can they just make another curve exactly the same as this one for when my contract is up. buttt it has a 8mp camera, 3g, os 6 compatible, but still the same build so my cases will fit it :$
    I too loved the form factor except for the trackball...I just wish the specs on the phone weren't immediately out of date...

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by SandAngel View Post
    I LOVE the trackball!
    HATE HATE HATE that pad.

I will agree that the trackball was better for Brick Breaker

Thanked by:
    alfstoria (01-16-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM me!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SandAngel View Post
    I LOVE the trackball!
    HATE HATE HATE that pad.

AGREED! MOST OF THE PEOPLE LOVE THE BLACKBERRY BECAUSE OF THE TRACKBALL. I'M PROUD WITH MY 8900 COZ THE CAMERA IS LIKE THE STORM EVENTHOUGH 8900 IS KINDA OLD. I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH THE TRACKBALL AND THE BATTERY! IT DEPENDS ON HOW WE USED IT!

-THE TRACKBALL IS THE IDENTITY OF BLACKBERRY-
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,423 Global Posts

Both the 8900 and the Dreamcast were awesome upon release. Keep in mind that there will always be something newer and shinier that will make you feel as if you've been shafted, well, unless you're fortunate to have the funds to be an early adopter of newer and shinier devices.

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM me!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by amy wineberry View Post
    both the 8900 and the dreamcast were awesome upon release. Keep in mind that there will always be something newer and shinier that will make you feel as if you've been shafted, well, unless you're fortunate to have the funds to be an early adopter of newer and shinier devices.

Posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    agreed with you.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,278 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by rafishinoda View Post
    agreed with you.
    i second that! besides, i'm not fan of touchscreen, touchscreen should be left for devices that don't involve texing
    Thanked by:
    rafishinoda (01-18-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by apalm8 View Post
    I will agree that the trackball was better for Brick Breaker
    That is so true, that I gave my Sis the Curve and got 9700 and erased Breaker didn't work out for me and got me some memory

if the have a way for the 6 but doubt it
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2170DC88

Cool Trackball, keys, camera, browser and the 8900

I kind of feel like my 8900 is useful enough that I am happy with my purchase and just limited enough to long for something better.

1.) Trackball: I use one of those cans of compressed air sold at Office Max to clean out my keys and trackball, and so far, it has always worked when the trackball gets unresponsive. Like the old mechanical computer mouses, it takes very little dirt to muck things up and (more often than not) a few blasts of compressed air puts everything right.

2.) Keys: Not an issue for me.

3.) Camera: Better than most, not as good as some. It's 3.1 mp as I recall, which is decent enough for pics that I plan to send via email or post on Facebook.

4.) Browser: The seventh ring of sucks. Almost worthless. Fortunately, between available apps for Facebook, Twitter, Ebay, PayPal, Weather Channel and mobile sites for many popular news sites and mobile banking, there are ways to work around it, but this is the greatest weakness of the BB, IMHO. Even if it performed better, the screen is too small for anything but emergency web browsing.

5.) 3G: Edge is not a problem for voice, email or text and the apps perform acceptably. The BB browser is so bad, that the 3G Bold only takes you from infuriating to disappointing.

I would probably upgrade if the Torch was available on T-Mobile. I'd get Android something or another, but I like the QWERTY keys and being an autobody repairman, my hands are generally not clean enough to use a touch screen device.

The 8900 is small, well built, simple to use and does 95% of I want a smart phone to do BETTER than most of the devices out there. Voice quality, email, text and battery life of the 8900 is still as good or better than most devices.

But will I be able to keep my 8900 until QNX comes out? Hmmm?

What I expect we will be seeing for the next few years is new BBs with specs that are just good enough to keep us from trading up for iOS or Android until QNX is available. QNX (as I understand it) is a "NIX" derivative, like iOS (Unix based) and Android (Linux based), so it stands to reason that it would not be terribly difficult for developers to port an iOS or Android app to a QNX platform --- I currently have Linux, OSX and Win7 PCs and a BB so i am not a "fanboy" of any platform. Each has its advantages and weaknesses.

I think the future of BB will look alot like when Mac transitioned from version 9.x to OSX. Mac as all but left for dead --- then the new unix based OSX came out, which could run on Intel OR Motorola processors ---
    CrackBerry Newbie

You know, I understand where you're coming from totally. I myself just got my hands on an 8900 down from the 9330 and you know what? I'm enjoying the "older" model alot more. From a decent camera with flash and video recording, to the superior trackball, it just feels like a more solid phone to me.

Now I must admit not having 3G is kind of a kick in the chops, I remembered something. This is a blackberry not an android or iphone. What do I really need the increased batter drain for? For the types of apps we have, we don't need the intense amount of data.

I don't know, I wouldn't mind getting myself a 9700 or something better, but until this phone breaks, I feel it's doing a great job.
    I Aim To Misbehave.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T anyone?

The 8900 aka mini-Bold arrived on TMO in Feb of 09. It had a higher res screen than the Bold, more mem and just a barely slower processor (512 vs 624). I never had a TB issue, but had 2 keyboards die. The thing was a proper upgrade to the Curve series and a fine device. The 9700 were so close to it in specs, there was no reason to upgrade other than desire for 3G. It will always hold a great place in the history of BBs. I can remember CX raving about it when he tested it.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,394 Global Posts
    PIN
    e Tree/Edranel/Wildwood

Just when I was starting to think I "needed" the 9780, along comes this thread and restores my faith. All I really need to do is update my apps from time to time and occasionally change my theme and this phone is just fine. I also like to surround myself with people using 83xx devices so I don't feel so out of date.
    T-Mobile Torch2 9810 12/26/11 7.1.0.284 / Bold 9780 02/21/11 6.0.0.650 / Curve 8900 11/12/09 5.0.0.681 Retired

How To Back-Up 3rd-Party Apps | My Stupid BB Pictures | Barcode Scanner

If you want a toy, get an iPhone. If you want a tool, get a BlackBerry.
    Thanked by:
    rafishinoda (01-23-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,616 Global Posts

I think the 8900 is still a great device.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,278 Global Posts
    PIN

lol! its 8520 for me moonjuice
    Last edited by ria__x; 01-20-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast