Water damage...advice please
06-28-09 12:46 AM
- Hi. So I went to get my nails done today and the manicurist went to move my phone and dropped it in the bucket of pedicure water. The water was clean, nothing was in it yet. It was like only for 2 seconds but it was submerged. I took the battery and sim right out, yelled a bit (well a lot), went right next door to the supermarket and brought 10 lbs of rice. I cut the top off and I just kind of pushed it way in to the bag and tied the bag..
The water damage sticker is a light pink and the battery has a red line across it. What do you think? How long should I leave it in there for - 3 days, a week? I still have my Pearl so I put the sim card in and it is really slow. I don't know if it's because I got so used to the 8900 or if maybe the sim card is damaged too - what do you think?
So I have voided my warranty right? I do have the insurance thought tmobile, assurion I guess. I've never had an insurance claim. Should I wait and see or file it now? It does cover water damage, right.
Thanks for any help. I would not have known about the rice trick if it wasn't for this forum. Hope it works. If it is really fried, is there still a way to be able to transfer my settings from the 8900 to the replacement 8900. I'm so bummed ...I hope the rice trick works.06-22-09 11:51 PM
- You did the best job you could have done by taking the battery out right away. The SIM card is likely just fine and the Pearl seems slow just because you are used to the 8900. Keep the device in the Rice for 3 days and then give it a try. Hopefully all will be fine. If not, you will need to try and get an insurance claim but they will likely give you trouble since it was water damage.06-22-09 11:58 PM
- Wait the three days and see if its ok. If not, make a claim through asurion. They'll send you a phone within a day or two. You will have to pay the deductible which is around $110, I think. They won't give you trouble for water damage. The insurance covers it.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com06-23-09 01:32 AM
- Thanks everyone. Sucks! I am going to wait the 3 days. I've been going to the same nail place for 18 years (since I was 2 ...hee hee). I told the owner that I was going to try the rice deal and that if I need a new phone, it will be a little over $100 and that I think they should pay it. I'm not going to get aggravated over it...I'll just wait till Friday to check my phone.
It's good to know about the insurance..thanks! I did not know it covered water damage. You know, I am trying to watch my $'s and one of the things on my list was to drop the insurance - glad I didn't.
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how the phone works on Friday.06-23-09 02:53 AM
- I just recently filed an insurance claim for water damage and I payed $130. Assurion had me fill out an affadavit
it was a miserable process. They wanted a copy of the back of my phone even though I bought it through a
corporate store. They rejected 4 copies because the image was not blown up enough. After you
get through the process they ship the phone overnight, but my advice is do exactly as they say and be
patient. Good luck!
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com06-23-09 08:15 PM
call the carrier and tell them exactly what happened and it wouldn't matter
as long as you had insurance. Insurance covers pretty much everything.06-23-09 08:19 PM
- 06-24-09 01:47 AM
- Do yall call the insurance place or take it to the retailer. If something happens to my phone I take it back to sprint. I dropped it in a cup of water and they gave me another blackberry right their in the store for free!!! I mean I was happy. Why should I be paying for the 7$ insurance if they r just gonna give me the frekin phone
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com06-24-09 02:09 AM
Here's a link for you. Asurion Your Technology Protection Company06-25-09 01:41 AM
- Well, I ran and got the rice right away. I also got it out of the water right away but if was fully submerged. Believe it not, my battery was not damaged. They were making fun of me at work when I said, I had it in rice....but it really worked and saved me $100+ in insurance.06-27-09 07:20 PM
- That is great news. After I had a claim for a different BlackBerry, that I lost, I was told I was only allowed two claims in a one year period. I started with the online form, but they made me call a representative. If you call T-Mo, they will transfer you to an agent. I didn't have to sign an affidavit, and since it was lost, I didn't have to fax a copy of anything. The people I spoke with were all nice and helpful. I had my new phone in 2 days.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com06-27-09 10:02 PM
- BlackBerry OS Phone Forums
- More BlackBerry Phones
- BlackBerry Curve 8900
Water damage...advice please
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD