Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default UMA calling.

I think I read somewhere on the forums that TMO charges an additional fee for UMA. Is this true?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

That's only if you want unlimited UMA minutes. Otherwise the minutes you use are taken out of your regular pool of minutes.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,942 Global Posts

The additional feature is called "Unlimited HotSpot Calling" which currently is $9.99 per month for unlimited UMA calling... otherwise it will be taken out of your calling plan's minutes.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Wow. You guys are fast. Thanks for the explanation guys.
  5. larrygump

UMA is the bomb....I dumped my home phone and once I got my router settings right I was perfect ....I'm in love with TMO...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by larrygump View Post
    UMA is the bomb....I dumped my home phone and once I got my router settings right I was perfect ....I'm in love with TMO...

haha yea that's what my parents did too.. makes sharing minutes for the family plan alot easier!

btw your avatar is awesome. I heart GIR!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    PIN
    see signature below....

I thought UMA was just that... unlicensed. As in, if you connect it to your home router, it doesnt use up your minutes.
    IF YOU WANT MY PIN: send me a pm and tell me which thread you saw me on so that i have an idea of what you would like to discuss
    DO NOT ASK FOR MY PIN IF:you want pics, you want nudes, you're interested in talking dirty

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24b4cb9a

Biggest reason most people use UMA, even if they do not have a hot spot feature on their plan is that UMA doesn't drop calls as much as being on your network towers especially if your in an area that doesn't have much coverage.

& yes CB gets some real activity not like other forums & other Question sites.

:P

& for the post above me. That's only if you have the Hot spot calling feature for $9.99 & is only available to Post Paid accounts.
    Last edited by rlacsamana19; 09-07-2009 at 10:14 PM.
    Banned

PIN
    Terminated Member

Quote Originally Posted by smijes View Post
    I thought UMA was just that... unlicensed. As in, if you connect it to your home router, it doesnt use up your minutes.
    newdeepdan's explanation is exactly right.
    Banned

PIN
    Terminated Member

Excellent point Larry. I agree. I love just having one number. No need for multiple home and cell numbers. UMA makes the need for a home phone redundant.
    Banned

PIN
    Terminated Member

Quote Originally Posted by rlacsamana19 View Post
    Biggest reason most people use UMA, even if they do not have a hot spot feature on their plan is that UMA doesn't drop calls as much as being on your network towers
    I believe the call quality on UMA is supurb but U can't remember the last time I dropped a call when connected to a cell tower. Coverage here in LA is excellent.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

what router settings did you use?

my 8900 shows connected to "Drew" my router but no UMA half the time.
    Motorola V188 -- Motorola RAZR V3 -- BB 8100 -- BB 8900: BB 8520: BB 8350

Crackberry.Com Hero! -- at least thats what Kevin claimed.
  13. larrygump

use my UMA link....you need to change your beacon intervals.....set priorities....and change your routers tx channel....the tx channel seems to be the single biggest improvement...increasing your SNR (signal to noise ratio) really makes it soooo much easier for your phone to get a good solid connection.....remeber UMA is NOT AT ALL tolerant of packet loss.......so even small changes will make huge diffences......same goes for those finding themselves contantly getting *call failed* or dropping form UMA to edge.....
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

Check the UMA Guide link in my signature.