Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Uma?

can someone point me in the direction of a thread explaining how this works. thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T anyone?

wikipeidia.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

that exactly what i was looking for, but thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

FAIL

#1) its Wikipedia
    #2) Simple explanation, basically if you have a UMA plan (10$/Mo) from Tmobile/Rogers (only ones I know of in the US/Canada), then you are using the WiFi siginal to register your calls. To make it simple, you need a wireless internet access with you connected to the network, and your calls are free AS LONG as you have the UMA plan from your provider.

No, this will NOT work on ATT/Sprint/VZ. They do not use this feature, and turning your WiFi on will still use cellular broadcast to push your call data (aka, it comes out of your minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by gregerator View Post
    wikipeidia.com

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

Let me try to clear this up.

UMA is a feature that your carrier as well as you phone both need to support for it to work. What UMA does is it connects your phone to your carrier's cellular network thorugh the Internet using a secure tunnel and your WiFi connection. This allows you to place calls, get your BB Push Email, use BB Messenger, etc by using your WiFi connection - even if you do not have cellular service. It works completely through your WiFi connection, very convenient. If you opt to add the $10 "Hotspot at Home" or similarly named services then all calls you make via UMA are free. If you do not pay for this additional feature then UMA will still work and the minutes used will be deducted from your normal monthly minutes (just as you are used to prior to using UMA). If you do not have any problem with your monthly minutes usage then it is probably not worth adding this additional feature - you decide.

Hopefully this explains it well enough.
    CrackBerry User

Interesting note.. I called and spoke with a tech as I was having a hard time keeping UMA signal at home. The tech mentioned that is you start a call under UMA and then leave your house and continue to talk for 4 more hours miles away from you home and obviously out of UMA range that you will not be charged for the call at all.

I thought that was pretty cool. My next question is if I start a call out of UMA range and walk into UMA range, will I have my minutes for that call deducted partially, none or all?? New technology huh!

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

The way I understand it is however you initiate the call, that is how it is deducted. If the call is initiated as UMA, then it counts as UMA but if it is initiated as EDGE, then it counts as EDGE. This works regardless what happens after the call is initiated.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by evrydayzawrkday View Post
    FAIL

#1) its Wikipedia
    #2) Simple explanation, basically if you have a UMA plan (10$/Mo) from Tmobile/Rogers (only ones I know of in the US/Canada), then you are using the WiFi siginal to register your calls. To make it simple, you need a wireless internet access with you connected to the network, and your calls are free AS LONG as you have the UMA plan from your provider.

No, this will NOT work on ATT/Sprint/VZ. They do not use this feature, and turning your WiFi on will still use cellular broadcast to push your call data (aka, it comes out of your minutes).

thanks, i didn't realize that you needed to have a UMA plan to use it

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fobi740 View Post
    thanks, i didn't realize that you needed to have a UMA plan to use it
    You do not need a UMA plan to use it ... did you read my post(s) above?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by evrydayzawrkday View Post
    FAIL

#1) its Wikipedia
    Be nice. I'm still converting from Suretype to full Qwerty.

CrackBerry User

first 3 post = Giant FAIL
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

No, you dont need a plan to use the service, but to make sure you arent having minutes removed from your montly pool (to make free calls via WiFi basically) you are going to NEED the plan as mentioned above

Quote Originally Posted by aristile View Post
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

Its ok, just bustin chops

Quote Originally Posted by gregerator View Post
    Be nice. I'm still converting from Suretype to full Qwerty.

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM to ask & i'll b happy to give it

yeah, but you need your service provider to allow hooking up with mobile network through the wifi connection. Meaning that your Mobile Service Provider should allow UMA connection. Right Aristile ?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by abhinavsg View Post
    yeah, but you need your service provider to allow hooking up with mobile network through the wifi connection. Meaning that your Mobile Service Provider should allow UMA connection. Right Aristile ?
    let's get this clear guys......anyone who have a uma compatible phone for example a bb 8900 can use it WITHOUT a hotspot home (t-mobile) or talkspot (rogers) plan...if you have let's say 200 min on your plan and use uma WITHOUT a uma plan it will deducted min from your 200 min...if you have let's say free calls after 6pm and use the uma WITHOUT a uma plan after 6pm the call is free... WITHOUT a uma plan is just like using your phone on a regular basics...But on wi-fi instead of the cellular network now if YOU DO HAVE a uma plan you can talk unlimited anytime of the day for one flat month fee on wi-fi of course.. And your not just limited to your house router..you can use it on any router in Canada (Rogers) and anywhere in the world (T-mobile)
    Last edited by big samm; 03-05-2009 at 05:49 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by big samm View Post
    let's get this clear guys......anyone who have a uma compatible phone for example a bb 8900 can use it WITHOUT a hotspot home (t-mobile) or talkspot (rogers) plan...if you have let's say 200 min on your plan and use uma WITHOUT a uma plan it will deducted min from your 200 min...if you have let's say free calls after 6pm and use the uma WITHOUT a uma plan after 6pm the call is free... WITHOUT a uma plan is just like using your phone on a regular basics...But on wi-fi instead of the cellular network now if YOU DO HAVE a uma plan you can talk unlimited anytime of the day for one flat month fee on wi-fi of course.. And your not just limited to your house router..you can use it on any router in Canada (Rogers) and anywhere in the world (T-mobile)
    Yeah right,

but the point I was trying to make was : Your Mobile Network Provider should allow you to connect via wifi UMA. If you'v got a wifi connection, but your Service Provider does not allow you to connect with the mobile network through wifi, then how are you going to use UMA???
    Last edited by abhinavsg; 03-05-2009 at 06:17 AM.

Global Posts
    10,021 Global Posts
    PIN
    323E1E5A

Basically you can use it if you provider has UMA service and you have a phone that has UMA!!!

It is only free if you but the plan!
    Collect coins or want extra income??? https://www.numisnetwork.com/CER

I'll Stop procrastinating tomorrow!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Up Model

When I first got my 8900 and I set up my wifi connection it would automatically show the uma icon even though I did not have the plan (I read here that you can use it even if you don't have the plan). After about 3 weeks it still connects to the wifi, but I no longer get the uma. I have not changed any settings so I am not sure why it no longer shows up. Anyone have any ideas? Really it does not matter since I don't pay for the plan, but I am curious why it would do that when I have not changed any settings.
    "Learn to get in touch with the innermost essence of your being. This true essence is beyond the ego. It is fearless; it is free; it is immune to criticism; it does not fear any challenge. It is beneath no one, superior to no one, and full of magic, mystery, and enchantment." - Deepak Chopra

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

Your provider and your phone both need to support UMA for it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristyluv View Post
    When I first got my 8900 and I set up my wifi connection it would automatically show the uma icon even though I did not have the plan (I read here that you can use it even if you don't have the plan). After about 3 weeks it still connects to the wifi, but I no longer get the uma. I have not changed any settings so I am not sure why it no longer shows up. Anyone have any ideas? Really it does not matter since I don't pay for the plan, but I am curious why it would do that when I have not changed any settings.
    Check the Following setting:

Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Connection Preference = WiFi Preferred
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

was just going through phonearena & saw that Bold 9000 does not have UMA. Is it true ? I am confused
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    849 Global Posts
    PIN
    Can You Hear Me Now?

was just going through phonearena & saw that Bold 9000 does not have UMA. Is it true ? I am confused
    Yes that is correct only the Curve 8900 has UMA since T-Mobile is the only one that offers it here in USA.
    CrackBerry Addict

The way I understand it is however you initiate the call, that is how it is deducted. If the call is initiated as UMA, then it counts as UMA but if it is initiated as EDGE, then it counts as EDGE. This works regardless what happens after the call is initiated.
    Thats what it says on the Rogers site, dunno about t-mo.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinguy View Post
    Yes that is correct only the Curve 8900 has UMA since T-Mobile is the only one that offers it here in USA.
    alright,

this is abt wifi & I am still confused abt it : even though my phone is connected to my wifi router & I am surfing the net on my phone, in Manage Connections I never see a Green Tick/Check next to wifi. I always get a white '-'.

I was told that I'll get a green check/tick next to the wifi only if I am connected with UMA via wifi. The Bold does not have UMA, which means that I'll never get a green tick/check besides wifi in Manage Connection ??? Neither do I see the wifi logo white in color on the home screen even though the phone is connected with the wifi. Why is this?? In short, when will I get a green tick/check against wifi in Manage Connections & a White wifi logo on home screen????
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,166 Global Posts

Will someone explain how UMA works when you're, say, in the UK and you're a US Tmob customer? I think you can call via WiFi for free if you put a prepaid SIM card in the phone that you buy there. Do you have to unlock the phone too?

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

alright,

this is abt wifi & I am still confused abt it : even though my phone is connected to my wifi router & I am surfing the net on my phone, in Manage Connections I never see a Green Tick/Check next to wifi. I always get a white '-'.

I was told that I'll get a green check/tick next to the wifi only if I am connected with UMA via wifi. The Bold does not have UMA, which means that I'll never get a green tick/check besides wifi in Manage Connection ??? Neither do I see the wifi logo white in color on the home screen even though the phone is connected with the wifi. Why is this?? In short, when will I get a green tick/check against wifi in Manage Connections & a White wifi logo on home screen????
    You are not going to get a green checkmark since you have a Bold. It does not support UMA. Check out the WiFi Guide link in my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
    Will someone explain how UMA works when you're, say, in the UK and you're a US Tmob customer? I think you can call via WiFi for free if you put a prepaid SIM card in the phone that you buy there. Do you have to unlock the phone too?
    You need to have your T-mobile SIM card in your phone to make UMA calls as the device needs to tell the T-mobile Network (through the UMA connection) that it has a valid account assigned to it. The pre-paid cards will allow you to make local calls in that area, but not International cards. You do need to unlock any phone if you want to use a SIM card for a carrier other than the one the phone was made for.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast