Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Strange BlackBerry Questions

Hello Everyone, I am new here

I've searched and searched on the web for this but, no avil. Here is the question: How can I change the blackberry config so I can use the instant messenger through text instead of having to get a data plan? Also, How do I get my GPS working?/What steps are involved in making it work?

Thanks!,
    H
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,249 Global Posts

Both of those require Data plans, for the most part. I do not know much about this, so what i can do is give you something better to search for on Crackberry.

T-Mobile has a Blackberry Feature Enabler that enables some features when you do not have a data plan. Search for that.

For GPS, search for "GPS without Data"

Good luck and Welcome to Crackberry!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    PIN
    it to the floor!

You can go into options>advanced options>GPS and get your location but the map info is download from the Internet so I'm not sure if you'll be able to do that without data.
    Life motto’s
    Drive Hard, Dream Big
    &
    Fake it 'till you make it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,381 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer anyone?

excatly. You will have to either pay per kb used or find a way to download the maps to your phone. Its a complicated process. But as stated before me, both of bbmessenger and gps require a data plan.. and BB messenger requires the BB data.. gps just needs data, can be a generic plan which are cheaper..
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    884 Global Posts
    PIN
    TO BEANS!!!

Depends what GPS app you want to run. Google is a data horde, BB Maps uses less data, Blackstar gives direction/speed/waypoints that can be cached onto your computer for map sync and, depending on how you have it setup, uses 0 data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Get feature enabler and you'll be able to use the IM clients with text. BBM however will not work at all.

CrackBerry User

An 8900 without a data plan is kinda like a movie without the sound - you are missing out on so many things that make these devices go from funcional to incredible.

CrackBerry User

Sorry, no harm meant. My comment wasn't intended to ridicule anyone, it was intended to encourage him to get the most out of his investment. Lost in transation, I guess. The data plan is worth every penny for what you limitations you face by only having wifi.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,206 Global Posts

You can do AIM through SMS (look up the #'s to send the SMS codes to login, etc).

It's not terribly convenient though. If I'm not mistaken, even the IM apps that use SMS generally use some amount of data also...
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    21a0ebd9

The aim text number is 246246 I believe???

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,313 Global Posts
    PIN
    8900 for sale

Quote Originally Posted by kkuhnell View Post
    An 8900 without a data plan is kinda like a movie without the sound - you are missing out on so many things that make these devices go from funcional to incredible.

Yeah, thats is GOOD QUOTE! Mm, your post is make sense!!
    • • T-MO GN II • 4G • FanDROID • •
    CrackBerry Newbie

I do know of one work-around for aol instant messenger. If you sign in to the instant messenger program on your computer and enter your phone number through the settings, it will send you messages to your phone via sms. I really don't know how to help with your gps question. Good luck!