Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Remove Password Protection

So I was messing around with the security features and enabled password protection. However each time I lock the phone to unlock I have to enter a password. Tre annoye. I went back into the security settings and selected "Disable" and saved but am still being prompted for password even after disabling.

Any ideas?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,989 Global Posts

You are saving the changes??? And it's asking you for your password??? Are you connected using BIS or BES???

Also, have you done a battery pull recently???
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

i'm connected via BIS. How do I find that out? Yes, I'm saving the changes. Yes I've done a battery pull out recently
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I am connected via BIS

Global Posts
    12,989 Global Posts

Do you get Work email, or just personal email??? Sometimes it more than just that, but this is the simplest... also, do you log into T-Mobile's website to resend your service books or do you do this at work???

By the way, since you don't know about BIS and BES... at battery pull is leaving your device on, pull the battery, leave it out 20 seconds, put the battery back in and wait for your device to boot up.

Global Posts
    12,989 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tforre7777 View Post
    I am connected via BIS
    Do a battery pull... then try changing the settings and be sure you save it, then go back out... then back to Options > Password and be sure it's disabled.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I only use personal mail on the BB. I send service books from t-mobile site. I will give the battery pull option a go now.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Ok...tried it and am still getting the same thing. The settings is show "disabled" but when I am still prompted for a password whenever I try to unlock the phone.

Global Posts
    12,989 Global Posts

The only other thing I can think of is to reload your OS... something is not releasing that setting... it's highly recommended to write down all your activation codes for any apps you have, running backup using DM and there is a way to backup all your third party apps (a thread linked in my upgrade/downgrade procedures link)... I don't know if you've tried to do a upgrade or reloading your OS.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

aaaarg. There has to be an easier way.
    CrackBerry User

What if u just enable it, save and then go back in and disable it. Maybe that will do something.......just a shot in the dark.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tforre7777 View Post
    So I was messing around with the security features and enabled password protection. However each time I lock the phone to unlock I have to enter a password. Tre annoye. I went back into the security settings and selected "Disable" and saved but am still being prompted for password even after disabling.

Any ideas?
    When you disable the password and attempt to save and exit the screen, you will be prompted to enter your password one last time. This is a security feature. It prevents someone who does not know your password from being able to disable it. Enter your password the last time and you will exit the security screen and the password will be disabled.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

My phone after upgrading to 5.0 doesn't even allow me to Disable the Password. The option isn't even there when I try to scroll.

Ideas?

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,503 Global Posts

Try this. Turn off encryption. Options> security options > encryption > disable. After doing that then try turning off the password protection.

CrackBerry Newbie

Mine has the same issue of not being able to disable to the password and the ability to disable the encryption is not there either under the security options menu...

When I try to disable the password there is a little lock next to the word enable.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

The small red padlock icon means your password is locked by an IT Policy. If yours is an employer-provided phone, you won't be able to do anything about that. If you remove the policy, it'll just be reapplied the next time you log in, and you could get in serious trouble for violating security. If you bought the phone used and it came with an IT policy, you can probably remove it using this procedure, created by Forums Moderator Pete6: Removing an IT Policy from a BlackBerry phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    342 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tman9 View Post
    Mine has the same issue of not being able to disable to the password and the ability to disable the encryption is not there either under the security options menu...

When I try to disable the password there is a little lock next to the word enable.
    The red padlock means your phone has an IT policy. If your work provided the phone then leave it alone cos messing with their IT policy will get you into trouble. If phone is not work provided, you just need to restore the phone to it's factory setting and it will clear the IT policy. Check out guide below on removing policy. Please use at own discretion. Hope that helps.

Method 1:
    *back-up your info before you begin.
    1. Open a command prompt on your pc by going to Start->Run,

2. Type in cmd and press enter.

3. Go to cd\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

4. In apploader, type in (without quotes) "loader.exe/resettofactory".*

5. Plug phone in and once connected follow apploader prompts.

*If it requires a password, type in whatever password you had created, but use the letters instead of numbers eg. Password: 23456 = ersdf

Method 2:
    *back-up your info before you begin.

1. If method 1 is scrary, then download and install BBSAK 1.7 onto your pc.

2. Run BBSAK and plug phone in.

3. Click on misc tab and under misc tab select "Factory Reset"

4. Follow on-screen prompts to complete reset.

*Using this guide is a mere suggestion. Please back-up all data before proceeding. Please use at your own discretion.

Last edited by xolanir; 06-10-2010 at 08:40 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    The small red padlock icon means your password is locked by an IT Policy. If yours is an employer-provided phone, you won't be able to do anything about that. If you remove the policy, it'll just be reapplied the next time you log in, and you could get in serious trouble for violating security. If you bought the phone used and it came with an IT policy, you can probably remove it using this procedure, created by Forums Moderator Pete6: Removing an IT Policy from a BlackBerry phone.
    I have a similar problem as I see a small yellow padlock on the "enable" option. Is it the the same procedure as the red lock you were talking about here?

Thank you in advance.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

It sounds like you have the same issue. If there is any significance to the color of the padlock, I'm not aware of it.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    It sounds like you have the same issue. If there is any significance to the color of the padlock, I'm not aware of it.

Thank you so much for the link above. The technique worked flawlessly on my 8900.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: Remove Password Protection

Done flawlessly!!!!