Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Phone not registering on computer- help please

My phone won't register when I hook it up to the USB port on my laptop. I haven't had any issues before, and the last thing that happened to my phone was that I updated the OS to the latest version (5.0.0.681). I did this on Monday and tried to hook my phone to my computer yesterday (first time since update). It wasn't recognized and I messed around with it for a while. I eventually did something that got it to work, but I disconnected it and since then, I haven't been able to re-hook it up. When I do hook it up, my phone charges, but my computer doesn't realize it's there. Can anyone help?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stripedfire View Post
    My phone won't register when I hook it up to the USB port on my laptop. I haven't had any issues before, and the last thing that happened to my phone was that I updated the OS to the latest version (5.0.0.681). I did this on Monday and tried to hook my phone to my computer yesterday (first time since update). It wasn't recognized and I messed around with it for a while. I eventually did something that got it to work, but I disconnected it and since then, I haven't been able to re-hook it up. When I do hook it up, my phone charges, but my computer doesn't realize it's there. Can anyone help?
    Did you change your usb cord btw now and when you updated the os. If you have a charging usb chord, it will only show the phone charging but won't sync phone to computer. This might seem dumb, but check to see if you have an actual syncing usb cord or a charging chord. That's one place to start, the other is to install/update the device drivers and see if that will help. If you're using win7, the troubleshoot under device/printers will troubleshoot and automatically fix the issue for you. Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I'm not sure how to check what type the USB is, but I've been using the same one as I used last night and that one worked, regardless of it giving me problems. I ran the troubleshoot on my USB ports but it didn't help. Can I do that for my phone's USB connection as well?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Cool

I'm not sure how to check what type the USB is, but I've been using the same one as I used last night and that one worked, regardless of it giving me problems. I ran the troubleshoot on my USB ports but it didn't help. Can I do that for my phone's USB connection as well?
    Okay since we've determined that it's not the usb, you need to got to the device manager in your pc and update the Ports (COM & LPT) and the update both the RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM3) & (COM4). If that does not fix it, you may need to uninstall and the reinstall both the DM and the device os from pc, that will force the computer to recognize your device as a new item when you plug it in and it will then install and configure the drivers. Keep me posted.

PS: the best way to know if your usb chord is a syncing or charging, 1. is it the same one that came in the box or 2. did you purchase it as part of car and travel charging kit? If your answer is #1 then it's the syncing, if your answer is #2 then it's a charging chord.
    Verizon Bold 9650
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    33,406 Global Posts

Are you running Windows 7? If so, this thread might help.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I'm running Windows XP. And alright, I'll try to do all of that and see how it goes. I'm not certain where mine came from, I just know it's supposed to work.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

1). Check that the USB port works with another device - USB stick, printer, anything.

2). Change the cable if you have not already done so.

3). Delete Desktop Manager completely from your PC, reboot is and then reinstall the program

4). connect the phone and wait for a connection. If it does not work, click on the word None at the bottom left of the DM panel.
    If it does not work now, Turn of bluetooth and then play with the Connection Type drop down to see if you can force a connection.

If this does not work then I suspect a PC problem so try rebooting your PC to Safe Mode by rebooting and pressing the F8 key several times at the start of the boot process.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

It seems xolanir was right about the cable. I tried using a different USB cable and my phone immediately registered with no problem. Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

It seems xolanir was right about the cable. I tried using a different USB cable and my phone immediately registered with no problem. Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it.
    You're welcome. Anytime dude

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com