Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    O Grigio is the ishhh
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default For the people with a 8900 already...

How's the data browsing over EDGE? is it bad or is it decent enough to do some browsing. Luckily I'm in wifi areas, but was curious to know what people think. Trying to think if 3G (Bold) is necessary over the size of the 8900.

Also, if you have/had a Bold and now have the 8900, which one do you prefer? I love the Bold but also love the form factor/looks of the 8900. The trackball on the 8900 looks much more smoother than the Bold since it's really recessed.

Google Maps rocks over 3G (which I use a lot on my Bold) so that's another dilemma.

Luckily I have a upgrade with at&t and can get a 8900 as a backup to the Bold

All input in appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    CrackBerry User

Default Curve 8900

Hi there. Just got the Cuvre 8900 on Monday from a Rogers outlet in Calgary. Its my first BB and I have wanted one for a long time. I have always had just regular flip phones. I dont mean to jump on the wagon here but I actually love this thing. Its a improvement from my old phone to a huge extent. Personally I dont really want to do lots of online browsing, I have just to see what it is like...and I know that it is not 3G speed but in a important situation or something its seems totally fine to me. I would not call it speedy...more like what I would expect it to be. You have to wait maybe a second longer than say on a regular computer for a plain webiste to load. I tried it with the university of calgary's website and I was neither bothered by the speed nor thought it was overly fast. But really I wont be browsing lots of websites with this phone. My facebook App is very speedy...like when I am writing a message to someone. I dont know if this properly compares to the web browsing...uncertain if that application uses much bandwidth or if its more a like a text or e-mail that is relatively small...anyway...dont know if this answers your question...but the phone itself is utterly fantastic. I love BB messenger for talking with friends and its great to be so much more connected than before
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    O Grigio is the ishhh
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

no input here?

thought I'd see a few suggestions today on this matter. guess not too many 8900 owners out there yet.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just got mine, and waiting till the battery charges before I do too much with it.

However regarding the trackball, it is much the same as my BB 8800. Same mechanical, loose feel, but with a new ball material. It is actually less smooth than the old one, as you can now feel the rollers with the new grippy ball material; but not in a bad way, just feels a bit different. Maybe because my old one is worn out. Anyway, it is no worse than the existing trackballs, but is not the magic laser Atomic Trackball I was hoping for. Time will tell if it will be less suseptiable to gumming up with pocket lint like my old one did.

Overall I think I am going to really like the 8900, and it seems a big improvement from my BB 8800.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm loving this phone, coming from an 8120 there are some noticeable benefits. First off have to say the key board is slick...it does make a slight noise when you type but i dont really mind, it has a great tactile feel to it. the ball is also much smoother then my 8120, it felt gritty this one has a similar feel but the ball material itself feels much nicer

As for speed it seems faster. it's pretty zippy even when signal isn't at its best. I have no comparison vs. 3G but it doesn't feel like you need to put the phone down, do something else only to comeback and be still waiting. its a very comfortable browsing speed, not lightning last but better then expected...i too am going to use wifi for the majority though.

as well google maps, no problem here works very well

Hope that helps ya out a little
    CrackBerry User

i love the phone i just find it too light.feels like a toy.besides that nice look great machine.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    12,299 Global Posts

Wow, did you not read my review where I praised the devices EDGE ability? LOL!!

Rogers BlackBerry Curve 8900 Smartphone Review!! | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 12-11-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    O Grigio is the ishhh
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Wow, did you not read my review where I praised the deviceS EDGE ability? LOL!!

Rogers BlackBerry Curve 8900 Smartphone Review!! | CrackBerry.com
    I was looking for peoples thoughts and to get the input from people who had/have the bold.

your review is one review and was poorly written anyways
    Last edited by naviwilliams; 12-12-2008 at 07:12 AM. Reason: ...clean up!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ASK

Quote Originally Posted by mapimages View Post
    I was looking for peoples thoughts and to get the input from people who had/have the bold.

your review is one review and was poorly written anyways
    Bla1ze has always been great with his reviews, and as a former mod on another quite large BB site, I have total respect for him. Might wanna learn some.
    Last edited by naviwilliams; 12-12-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: ...clean up!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ASK

wow you picked up on the sarcasm? And your response to Bla1ze was just as useless. Have fun.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    12,299 Global Posts

Hmmm...You asked for opinions from users and I replied with mine, but yet it was not "good enough" for you?

Now I know words don't convey much humor when typed on a screen but I do believe that is why acros exist to help convey the feelings of ones word..ie lol, lmao, etc..etc...seemingly you didn't pick that up...sorry, not apologizing for how u took it. That is your perception of it..fine, with me.

Didn't like my review..fine with me as well, but I'm sure after this display you'll be hard pressed to find any others who want to share their opinion with you as well, maybe they won't take so kindly to you basically saying their opinion/review sucks as well.

PS: Please keep the language in your posts clean, as per forum rules.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    O Grigio is the ishhh
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Hmmm...You asked for opinions from users and I replied with mine, but yet it was not "good enough" for you?

Now I know words don't convey much humor when typed on a screen but I do believe that is why acros exist to help convey the feelings of ones word..ie lol, lmao, etc..etc...seemingly you didn't pick that up...sorry, not apologizing for how u took it. That is your perception of it..fine, with me.

Didn't like my review..fine with me as well, but I'm sure after this display you'll be hard pressed to find any others who want to share their opinion with you as well, maybe they won't take so kindly to you basically saying their opinion/review sucks as well.

PS: Please keep the language in your posts clean, as per forum rules.

I wasn't looking for opinions. In fact, I don't need anyones opinion on any device. I was looking for INPUT/FEEDBACK from people who HAD/HAVE the Bold. This has been stated 3 times.

As you know there are many people are here who like to post smart a$$ comments. I thought you were trying to sound like a know it all. I took it the wrong way than.

I also didn't say I didn't like your review. I actually did like it. I said it was poorly written. Was looking for other input and not just from one person.
    CrackBerry User

This thread is going no where with the way your responding to the people offering you advice.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    O Grigio is the ishhh
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by CamLS View Post
    This thread is going no where with the way your responding to the people offering you advice.
    your right

forget it

thank you to the few who actually took the time and read the OP and answered with your input
    Retired Mod

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mapimages View Post
    I wasn't looking for opinions. In fact, I don't need anyones opinion on any device. I was looking for INPUT/FEEDBACK from people who HAD/HAVE the Bold. This has been stated 3 times.

As you know there are many people are here who like to post smart a$$ comments. I thought you were trying to sound like a know it all. I took it the wrong way than.

I also didn't say I didn't like your review. I actually did like it. I said it was poorly written. Was looking for other input and not just from one person.
    Just curious... Why was it poorly written? I thought Bla1ze did a heck of a job.