Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    262608df
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default MyTouch Vs 8900

So i ordered the new Mytouch and got it on Wed. Since then i'v been going back and forth with my sim card to see which phone I will love more. Problem is i'm torn.

Blackberry 8900- UMA, Amazing Texting, Perfected Software and 3.5 mm jack.

MyTouch 3G- 3G, Threaded SMS, TONS of Apps, Open Source Software, Many Possibilities.

I hate the small screen on the BB and web browsing sucks compared to the MT3G, but texting on the Mytouch is HORRIBLE compared to the 8900, and i'm a texting *****.

I'm just torn, I need your opinions so i'm posting this in the BB forum, and Android forum. What should I do? I can't make a decsion so I need everyones input.

Me? I basically use my phone for:
    Texting, Texting, Texting I text about 15,000 a month. I just don't like talking.
    Facebook- (the new facebook app for android looks incredible)
    Messenger (MSN)
    Email (Work)
    Browsing
    Pictures (Love the way they look on Android.

You would think I would go with the 8900 because of that, but I love the way the threaded sms is on the mytouch. But again I run into the same problem, the keypad i'v downloaded all the "better keyboard" apps like Better Keyboard, ChompSms, Handcent, HTC Keyboard, and Touchpal. I can text fine with all of them if i'm sitting down and paying ALL my attention to the phone, but I don't want to that. Anyways, let me know what you think would be best for me. Another thing that's driving me NUTS is HTC Hero/BB Driftwood. When will they be out for Tmo cause if either one is coming out for Tmo anytime soon i'm giving up the Mytouch.

Let me know thanks guys!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm actually having the same dilemma..I currently have a Curve 8320 from Tmobile and I love it. One reason I chose it is because it has the hotspot at home capability, this is the only way I am able to text and talk to my friends when I'm at home. But I can upgrade my phone and I'm currently torn between the Blackberry 8900 and the Mytouch 3g.*I'm leaning toward the mytouch but I like being able to keep in touch with friends on the bberry. I use my phone for a lot of texting and the signal thing won't be a problem for most of the year because I go to college in Memphis, about 400+ miles from my home here way out in the country. It's just summer, thanksgiving, winter breaks when I'm at home. And I'm actually considering staying at school next summer so I'll be there in Memphis still. I use my school email on my 8320 (very useful for when your profs email you cancelling class!) And I've had a few problems with the 8320 freezing up on my and deleting everything except what's saved.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistapersia View Post
    ... but texting on the Mytouch is HORRIBLE compared to the 8900, and i'm a texting *****.

I basically use my phone for:
    Texting, Texting, Texting I text about 15,000 a month. I just don't like talking.
    Sounds like you have your decision made already to me!
    Banned

PIN
    Former Bold 9930 and PB user

If you text that much then you should wait for Tmo to come out with a another android device with a physical keyboard
    Rumored Android dates for AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon*|*Android and Me
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24B379A1

15k texting... and i thought my 4k to 5k was alot. do you text in your sleep.
    Banned

PIN
    Former Bold 9930 and PB user

Just to put this in perspective
    15,000 texts a month mean...
    500 per day
    if you sleep 8 hrs..
    31.25 per hour
    that's roughly one every 2 min..
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    PIN
    <- see avatar

Secure Business Phone vs Non-Business Secure Phone

it would be better to match the MyTouch vs iPhone. when you match the BB up against any known BB or business phone you have to take into the consideration the audience the phone is geared towards. Atleast thats how I see things.

go with the 8900
    Last edited by devGOD; 08-08-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    up grrrrrl

Sounds like an 8900 to me too.

I was concerned about screen size at first too having come from using HTC previously and most recently the G1 at that...but the crisp resolution and keyboard were huge for me. Grrrreat phone for typing/texting. It's also very easy to do one-handed texting when needed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

how about the G1 or waiting for another android device with a keyboard? I really like android and the pre even though i just got the tour. I may end up buying one of those when they come to verizon.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask Meh

When I worked for T-Mobile I saw an account with 27,000 sms. Seriously. I don't know how they do it. I thought I did alot with 6k on a bad month and 2-3k normally

Quote Originally Posted by vlade31 View Post
    Just to put this in perspective
    15,000 texts a month mean...
    500 per day
    if you sleep 8 hrs..
    31.25 per hour
    that's roughly one every 2 min..
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2112CB9A

Quote Originally Posted by HotCelica View Post
    When I worked for T-Mobile I saw an account with 27,000 sms. Seriously. I don't know how they do it. I thought I did alot with 6k on a bad month and 2-3k normally
    That's truly overkill !
    Most I've done was 10,000 in a month.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    24ACFB03

i had the mytouch from wensday 6p to friday about 8pm i took it back i felt lost. no FB, my emails for some reason wasnt coming either and the screen kept freezing, but as i sit here typing this my bb feels like the same phone for the past 4yrs nothing major new to bb i might be back at tmo in the am to give mytouch a second try maybe i had gotten a lemon and i found out they had the wrong data plan on my account at the time i had the mytouch
    "MY GADGET ADDICTION IS LIKE MY BLOOD IT KEEPS ME FLOWING"
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    PIN
    <- see avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HotCelica View Post
    AIM, Ymsg and MSN count as text messages as well depending on the phone you have. so i you chat a lot i and send text message then its possible, especially when some people tend to type half a convo/sentence per line and hit send. thats so annoying when people do that on IM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have both the 8900 and the MyTouch 3G right here. There are advantages to both phones. Here's what I hate about the MyTouch. If you rely on email a lot you're better off with the BlackBerry because unless you use gmail all the time, the 3G has no option for you to save emails you want to keep without just leaving them in your inbox which will get cluttered over time. There is also no way to work with IMAP folders from the phone itself, you have to sync from your computer in order to make changes. That's fine if I'm at home, but if I'm not at my computer and want to do something, I'm stuck. Granted, the phone is a Google device and they are pushing their email, and you CAN do some of the things I mentioned above if you use gmail. The problem is that I have other email accounts that I prefer to use other than Gmail. The other thing that sucks is that the phone will not open PDF, Word, or Excel files without downloading an $19.99 application. The BlackBerry does this from the get-go. Now don't get wrong there are some awesome features on the MyTouch, but I've found a lot of the apps aren't well designed and have lots of glitches and bugs in them which cause the app to "force close" and I'm to the point I'm ready to send the MyTouch 3G back. If you're just wanting a phone to play around on it's fine, but if you want a workhorse that is secure, reliable and also has apps, stick with the 8900. Again, the MyTouch is going to blow the doors off the 8900 as far as apps go. The larger screen is amazing and the speed is much faster than the 8900. So there are pros and cons for both phones.
    CrackBerry Abuser

WTF seriously 15K smses a month...get a job or pay attention to the lecturer! I don't think you'll be able to sms when you're serving fries to customers.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,223 Global Posts
    PIN
    N/A

I can see everyone struggling with this. I was wavering between both myself for abit but went with the 8900. If you're a heavy texter, I think you really should go with a hard keyboard vs touch screen. I could probably get away with it because i'm not a heavy texter but in the end, I stuck with BB because what I do use a lot is Audible whichprovides a BB app. There is none for Android. Besides, I kow what I'm getting with BB. MT is the great unknown. Maybe you should make a pros and cons list giving more weight to the important stuff. We are all in that quest for the "perfect" phone.
    Connie
    Army Strong
    CrackBerry Newbie

I also just purchased the Mytouch. It arrived 3 days ago, and I already had to get another one sent out. The one I have keeps freezing, The battery drains at an abnormal rate< so much so that they immediately said they would send a replacement. One of my friends wanted to buy my 8900, but I keep stalling.I'm not a big texter about 400 a month give or take. What I am though is a big browser/app *****. I love the screen on the my-touch, yet The blackberry is clearer even though it's smaller. Also since the my-touch keeps freezing it seems like the 8900 on the edge network was faster and opened up more pages with no problem than the my-touch. I'm torn as well.
    CrackBerry User

BB all the way !! u like the big screen BB, go for the new Storm.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM me for it!

Well I had this dilemma about a month ago between the G1 and a blackberry, I just couldn't do the G1 but mine was because touch screens literaly bother the crap out of me! I don't know why but so many functions on that phone involved touching the screen and for some reason it bothered the crap out of me! The apps were awesome though, but I could text super fast with a BB and it was more light weight and handled email a lot better, so that's where I am!

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,671 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exzibit3 View Post
    WTF seriously 15K smses a month...get a job or pay attention to the lecturer! I don't think you'll be able to sms when you're serving fries to customers.
    Sad but true. LOL!
    CrackBerry User

15K sms?!?! I can barely hit 200 lol...anyway...been using BBs for quite a few years so I'm not new to BBs...I tried the G1...had bought it a little after it had come out...sat on my desk a few months collecting dust...used it for 2 months ....nearly went crazy....now have an 8900.

IDK...only you can make that decision. As for me...I already know what I want in a phone and BB is the only way to go...been using them for a long time so I would consider myself a power user and it serves my needs both for work and play. If you want a cool toy with a lot of bells and whistles (and there's nothing wrong with that) then get the MT. The BB is an excellent workhorse though and me personally... I wouldn't have it any other way.

Whatever you decide though, make sure that its you yourself that made the decision and don't let others make it for you. After all, its YOU that will have to live day to day with the phone of your choosing, but its a good thing that you're doing some research before making the final decision.

Banned

PIN
    TSIZE

I thought my 6000 per month is a lot until I read your post.

i think your main difference will probably be the OS, touchscreen vs. none, and battery life
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts
    PIN
    29D03CDE

OS 5.0.190 has threaded text, which is great, very similar to WM 6.1's version.
    www.worldhistoria.com

Discuss all things history, works well with a BB browser, and or OM .

PIN: 29D03CDE - Bold 9900
    Banned

PIN
    Terminated Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistapersia View Post
    texting on the Mytouch is HORRIBLE compared to the 8900, and i'm a texting *****
    Full screen phones have their advantages and their disadvantages. In my thinking, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages and the trade off is simply not worth it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by isaacthom View Post
    I have both the 8900 and the MyTouch 3G right here. There are advantages to both phones. Here's what I hate about the MyTouch. If you rely on email a lot you're better off with the BlackBerry because unless you use gmail all the time, the 3G has no option for you to save emails you want to keep without just leaving them in your inbox which will get cluttered over time. There is also no way to work with IMAP folders from the phone itself, you have to sync from your computer in order to make changes. That's fine if I'm at home, but if I'm not at my computer and want to do something, I'm stuck. Granted, the phone is a Google device and they are pushing their email, and you CAN do some of the things I mentioned above if you use gmail. The problem is that I have other email accounts that I prefer to use other than Gmail. The other thing that sucks is that the phone will not open PDF, Word, or Excel files without downloading an $19.99 application. The BlackBerry does this from the get-go. Now don't get wrong there are some awesome features on the MyTouch, but I've found a lot of the apps aren't well designed and have lots of glitches and bugs in them which cause the app to "force close" and I'm to the point I'm ready to send the MyTouch 3G back. If you're just wanting a phone to play around on it's fine, but if you want a workhorse that is secure, reliable and also has apps, stick with the 8900. Again, the MyTouch is going to blow the doors off the 8900 as far as apps go. The larger screen is amazing and the speed is much faster than the 8900. So there are pros and cons for both phones.
    To save the email... its called archive, that saves the email and it doesnt stay in the inbox

as for the docs, pdfs, etc I have no problem viewing them what so ever. I didnt need an app for it either
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast