Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How to turn off green CHARGING light?

When I turn off my phone at nights (the "Turn Power Off" button), I leave it in the charger next to my bed. After this the greenish yellowish LED light starts blinking to tell me its charging. I absolutely hate that light and can't stand it. I'm not talking about the green coverage indicator light, which is different. Is there any way to turn this off completely?
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Ask!

flip your phone over haha
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    619 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kyleCRAZE View Post
    lol. The native OS won't turn off that light. Maybe a third party plugin that hooks into the OS??
    CrackBerry User

BerryBuzz.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

When I plug it in - clock pops on my screen. I click the BB button and hit "enter the bedside mode". In bedside mode options I have LED turned off ( radio can be on or off) so it doesn't blink when charges
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,453 Global Posts
    PIN
    21FFF30E

Well I was going to ask why you turn your phone off to charge it in the first place anyway....

As porando elegantly put it, just plug your phone in and put it in bedside mode.
    "If At first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried" - Terrence C.

1,000th signature achieved 2/28/10..... I am now a BB Master.

Currently own 10 BB's: 8100, 8220, 8320, 8520, 8900, 9300 x2, 9550, 9700, 9800... Yeah, I'm addicted.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by kyleCRAZE View Post
    ^ this. hahaha
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by phoneking13 View Post
    Well I was going to ask why you turn your phone off to charge it in the first place anyway....

As porando elegantly put it, just plug your phone in and put it in bedside mode.
    Because being on wastes battery and in the long run its not good for your battery for it to keep moving down and back to full charge. On top of that, I hate any lights or anything being on when I'm trying to sleep so leaving the screen on isnt an option. Obviously the easiest choice is flipping the phone, maybe I'm just too ADD about it being upside down, paranoid that it might slightly scratch the screen or something.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    No offense, but did you even read my post and read that page separately?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by fiddysheqel View Post
    Because being on wastes battery and in the long run its not good for your battery for it to keep moving down and back to full charge.
    Where did you get this information from? Sounds kind of crazy to me. How is your battery going to go up and down when it's plugged in. The batteries in new phones like to be used, they will last longer with more use and charging. Bedside mode is your best option if you don't want to flip your phone over.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,178 Global Posts

Bedside mode rocks. Nothing will blink but phone calls will ring and the clock looks great. My wife paid for her bedside mode app for the Droid and it isn't half as cool as the BB.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, iPad2 and iMac. Former BB 8100 and 8900 owner.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    <Classified>

Because being on wastes battery and in the long run its not good for your battery for it to keep moving down and back to full charge.
    This is not the case with Lithium Ion batteries, which the 8900 uses.

I hate any lights or anything being on when I'm trying to sleep so leaving the screen on isnt an option.
    Out of curiosity, do you have an alarm clock?
    Last edited by -Haji-; 01-14-2010 at 02:32 PM.
    The Mayor hath spoken.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by ridesno159 View Post
    Where did you get this information from? Sounds kind of crazy to me. How is your battery going to go up and down when it's plugged in. The batteries in new phones like to be used, they will last longer with more use and charging. Bedside mode is your best option if you don't want to flip your phone over.
    A battery has a certain amount of cycles in it (lets say, 100,000 times to reach 100%). When your phone is on and is in the charger, it is slightly losing battery and then instantly is re-charged to 100%. This isn't good for the battery as you lose a full charge cycle. Of course, this isn't the only way the battery can be drained but is a very easy way to help the life of your battery.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

A battery has a certain amount of cycles in it (lets say, 100,000 times to reach 100%). When your phone is on and is in the charger, it is slightly losing battery and then instantly is re-charged to 100%. This isn't good for the battery as you lose a full charge cycle. Of course, this isn't the only way the battery can be drained but is a very easy way to help the life of your battery.
    A battery does have a certain amount of charge cycles, but what your explaining is not a full charge cycle. A charge cycle is from %100 to %0 then back up to %100. Here's an explanation of it. I know it's from Apple, but it applies to all Lithium-ion batteries.

Apple - Batteries

What is a Charge Cycle? Will charging too often spoil my battery? Apple Clinic, the FAQ Repository
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ridesno159 View Post
    A battery does have a certain amount of charge cycles, but what your explaining is not a full charge cycle. A charge cycle is from %100 to %0 then back up to %100. Here's an explanation of it. I know it's from Apple, but it applies to all Lithium-ion batteries.

Apple - Batteries

What is a Charge Cycle? Will charging too often spoil my battery? Apple Clinic, the FAQ Repository
    +1. Li-Ion batteries do not have the memory effect like NiCad batteries. Actually charging it more often is better and letting it drain too low is bad. If you let Li-Ion battery drain to 0% for too long it cannot be recharged (did this twice with our ipod).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

You're right in saying this, even a drop of 1% and a charge back up 1% can be considered a cycle in some batteries, which obviously depletes life each time. But if you ever get a chance to disassemble one of these BlackBerry batteries you'll notice something different - a small microdevice; that's because these batteries are smart and can prevent this premature life loss.

Like the other users said, it is good for the device to leave it plugged in for as long as you want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com