Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Flashing Rogers BB 8900 with Unbranded firmware

Is it possible to flash a Rogers BB 8900 with an Unbranded 8900 firmware?

If yes, from where can I get an unbranded 8900 firmware?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

You can put any OS 4.6.1.x on an 8900 as long as you remove the vendor.xml file.

As far as un-branding goes ... you can't do that on the 8900.
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

What do you mean by "unbranded"? If you are talking about
    getting rid of the carrier splash screen that is hard coded to
    the device itself and no firmware is going to change that.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

By unbranding, I want to get access to features that Rogers (my carrier) would otherwise block.

I used to live in Middle East, and over there phones are not branded (i.e. carriers don't sell phones, they sell services only. Phones are sold by companies unlocked and unbranded). The unbranded phones are easier to mess around with, like installing apps, downloading ringtones, music, running home brew applications, etc. But after moving to Canada, I found all of my (Rogers) branded phones (that I bought over the years) to have features locked down, just so I have to pay for silly ringtones and apps.

I assumed that it will be the same with blackberry. Is it?

I just don't want to pay for a data plan to install GPS application if I can do it via Wifi.

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts

You will not be able to un-brand your device.

You can, however, run GPS without a data plan via some 3rd party apps. Search around and you will find apps to work without a data plan. Most apps will not but some will. You will need to do your own research and spend time configuring things manually to get this working. Good Luck.

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

only phones up to the Bold are able to be unbranded by the end user with the right software and VSM files. the 8900 was the beginning of devices with new security measures that prevent the leaked unbranding software from connecting to it. you, like everyone else, is stuck with branded 8900's.

but you can download and install almost any application, without restriction, regardless of the carriers branding. as for gps without wanting to pay for it, try Amaze GPS. its free and works well. certain other things and apps (for example, the blocking of BBMaps by AT&T) is done by the carrier through the use of service books i think. there may be some work-arounds, but for the most part cannot be circumvented.

and btw, the firmware/OS in this case doesnt carry any carrier branding. thats done by the VSM file thats loaded on the phone in its ROM. no matter whos OS you load on the phone, the branding will not change unless that specific file is changed. and like i said, is impossible for the end user to change at this time. it has to come unbranded directly from RIM.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 09-29-2009 at 02:00 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

and finding info on this site about unbranding ain't easy. kinda taboo.
    Co-Founder http://www.apcovat.org
    Americans Promoting Change One Voice At A Time

Make your voice heard.
    8320 -> 4.5.0.162/4.6.1.286/5.0.0.190
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

BlackBerry 8900s are all the same when they are made. Once made, they are hard branded with the carrier logo. This is visual only, just advertising. A carrier number is also added and this is the real key.

The Operating System (what you call firmware) is also the same across all carriers BUT (and it is a big BUT), the carrier branding will cause certain cosmetic features and carrier specific features to be added (or not added) to your phone when you load an OS to the phone.

Once the OS is loaded, and you put the SIM card in, the phone will seek a carrier signal and, in the case of the BlackBerry will download some things called Service Books. These enable certain features on your phone such as web browsing. They also dump a bunch of unwanted icons on your desktop too but these are easily removed.

Once you have a data-plan, an absolute essential for a BlackBerry, then you will get email and web browsing made available.

Carriers can block or enable features at will. This is carrier dependent and there is nothing you can do about it since it is done by the carrier in their control center.

What you are probing here is a combination of:
    - the phone's own native features
    - newer OS features vs. what you have now
    - carrier enabled features
    - data-plan options that you buy

Please keep reading in here and ask questions too.
    CrackBerry Newbie

is there a way for my T-Mobile (sim-unlocked) to run my download apps using my wifi at home with AT&T simcard , i download YM and Facebook but it wont load...is there any work around to have this run smoothly..thanks