Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Dropped my phone in MILK! HELP!

I dropped my 8900 in an inch of milk and because I was driving I couldnt pull it out as quickly as Id have liked to. I didnt take the battery out as soon as I should have and I was sure it killed the battery. It dried up some on its own but I also let it sit in a bowl of rice for 2 days. I then inserted the battery without the SIM card and it worked! buuuut when i took out the battery to place it in it didnt want to turn on for me again.

Do i need to submerge it in distilled water? Get a whole new battery?? Or am I completely out of luck??

I really need the info on my blackberry and I just want to know how to get to it.

Thank you for any help you can offer! Im REALLY new at this!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by satelliteheart View Post
    I dropped my 8900 in an inch of milk and because I was driving I couldnt pull it out as quickly as Id have liked to. I didnt take the battery out as soon as I should have and I was sure it killed the battery. It dried up some on its own but I also let it sit in a bowl of rice for 2 days. I then inserted the battery without the SIM card and it worked! buuuut when i took out the battery to place it in it didnt want to turn on for me again.

Do i need to submerge it in distilled water? Get a whole new battery?? Or am I completely out of luck??

I really need the info on my blackberry and I just want to know how to get to it.

Thank you for any help you can offer! Im REALLY new at this!
    Submerge an electronic device in distilled water? Your kidding right? I fail to believe anybody is that new.
    Device = Flame on Torch!!
    Carrier = AT&T
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

You may have missed your chance the backup the data up when it first re-boot without the SIM.

The only other thing that has worked for me in the past is to place the 8900 with the battery removed and the cover off lying on it face, out in the sun for an hour. then bring it in, insert the battery and restart the device. If it starts attach it to your PC and use DM to compy all the data via Backup ASAP!

Then get a new phone. This one will never work right again!
    CrackBerry Abuser

loool..i had a similar incident but I had spilled coffee on mine. Luckily for me it didnt get into the mainboard and I managed to dry it out on time. I placed mine on top of the fridge for about 2days. I believe at this point you will need to disassemble the device and wipe out any trace of liquid carefully and do not use other solvents in the process...be extra careful and make sure you are grounded as you do not want to build static charges and damage the components. Once you have made sure there are no trace, let it further dry out ontop of a warm surface. Its not guaranteed but worth a try. Fingers crossed, hope it works out.
    "Wealth is like water; you can channel it or you can drink it, but you cant keep it in forever"
    "In a world of conservatism, I conserve my freedom"
    "In Gaia, we believe"

CLEAN WATER SOLUTIONS

T.Z.M
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor View Post
    Submerge an electronic device in distilled water? Your kidding right? I fail to believe anybody is that new.
    Distilled water is non-conductive, but any crud that mixes with it will change its electrical properties. Like sweat residue, dust, and other debris found in phones.

Neither here not there.

Invest in headsets if you cannot keep from dropping your multi-hundred dollar phone into drinking glasses.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Xiado View Post
    Distilled water is non-conductive, but any crud that mixes with it will change its electrical properties. Like sweat residue, dust, and other debris found in phones.

Neither here not there.

Invest in headsets if you cannot keep from dropping your multi-hundred dollar phone into drinking glasses.
    I am aware of that but like you point out any impruities that get in from the phone would change the conductive properties. So my point is valid. Don't put it in liquid of any kind.
    Carrier = AT&T
    CrackBerry Genius

Liquid check people.
    We have members dropped their BB in tea, coffee, milk, **** (yuck), soy sauce,
    Fill free to update the list!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    PIN
    2120CC50

if you are going to use any liquid for cleaning always use 90% alcohol. Reason for this is it will evaporate very quickly.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Wow. was the sarcasm necessary? no. Ive read other posts talking about cleaning the phone with distilled water and that is the reason why i said submerge and asked about it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Xiado View Post

no ****! thank you ever so much for that gem. OH and because i dropped it in my car does not mean i didnt have a head set.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Wow. was the sarcasm necessary? no. Ive read other posts talking about cleaning the phone with distilled water and that is the reason why i said submerge and asked about it.
    Cleaning with and submerging are 2 different things. I used to clean VCR's(remember them) with a freon solution but I wouldn't consider submerging one in it.

If a little sarcasm will make you say " wow,what was I thinking" before you drown your phone, then yea it was well placed.
    Carrier = AT&T
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Cleaning with and submerging are 2 different things. I used to clean VCR's(remember them) with a freon solution but I wouldn't consider submerging one in it.

If a little sarcasm will make you say " wow,what was I thinking" before you drown your phone, then yea it was well placed.
    No all it made me think was "wow, you must have way to much time on your hands to start criticizing instead of just helping". Grow up and get a life.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Same thing happened to mine. dropped in lemonade. took battery, sim, and memory card out and put it in rice for couple 2 or 3 days. took it out, put the battery in and it came on. everything was still sticky so i took it battery out and tore down to clean keyboard and what not. when i went to put battery back in...It did nothing! so i put it on the oem charger for the night and came back the next morning. Still looked dead. pulled the battery and gave up. then for fun put the battery back in and it fired right up. so i suggest charge over night on the stock wall charger then unplug and pull the battery for a few min. then put it all back. see if it works. cant hurt anything
    CrackBerry Abuser

No all it made me think was "wow, you must have way to much time on your hands to start criticizing instead of just helping". Grow up and get a life.
    Got one thank you very much. I tell ya if my tame comment got under your skin that bad you may not be cut out for message boards.
    Carrier = AT&T