CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can't update my 8900 to OS 5!

So I tried deleting the Vendor in my folder, and I downloaded a leaked version of the 5.0.0.822 update, and tried doing it on the desktop manager, didn't work.
    Then tried updating using the loader without the vendor, nothing showed up for me to update, i had my phone connected and everything. What do I do to upgrade to v5.0.0.822? I currently have v4.6.1.231 HELP!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    297be244

Hey!

What does the "trouble report" say??

Did you download the BB desktop software?
    If not - you should, without it won't work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    <Classified>

To get my 8900 on OS5, I had to wipe it to get it to take.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Why a leaked .822?

Quote Originally Posted by iTheDanny View Post
    So I tried deleting the Vendor in my folder, and I downloaded a leaked version of the 5.0.0.822 update, and tried doing it on the desktop manager, didn't work.
    Then tried updating using the loader without the vendor, nothing showed up for me to update, i had my phone connected and everything. What do I do to upgrade to v5.0.0.822? I currently have v4.6.1.231 HELP!
    There's an official .822, why did you download a leaked version?

Anyway, there's a lot of posts explaining the process, but the "regular" process would be to:

0. Try this on a PC (I don't know about mac)
    1. Make sure you've installed BB Desktop Manager
    2. Download an official device OS. Install it.
    3. Delete the vendor.xml file
    4. Disconnect from internet (not absolutely necessary, but may help)
    5. Connect the BB to the PC, run BB Desktop Manager

That should do it.
    There's some hacking that you can do to lower the "memory footprint" of the OS and make it smaller, but if you're a complete newbie, just follow the regular steps first. OS5 is very nice and tops OS4. It's a real shame we can't get OS6.
    BB =
    Wow! I just found out that FB app has chat!

7290 -> 8320 -> 8900 (Lost! ) -> 8520 -> 9810 OS7.1.0.694 and would love to have hotspot enabled by my carrier...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by iTheDanny View Post
    I was having the same problem. Was doing the upgrade on my Mac with Desktop Manager. Don't know if that's your problem too.
    Then I went to my PC and made the upgrade directly from the blackberry website and it's works (na. blackberry.com /eng/ update/).
    Also, there was 74mb of free memory before the update, and after there was 104mb. So I have more free memory and the OS5 works great.

Hope this helps !
    Eric
    CrackBerry User

hey all

i have been trying to update to OS 5 from 4 for the past 2hrs without any luck. have tried all sorts of advice in these forums but nothing is working. I have downloaded latest OS 5 for O2 UK (8900AllLang_PBr5.0.0_rel1168_PL5.2.0.67_A5.0.0.68 1_O2_UK) from blackberry website, installed it. also having DM 5.0.1 and Win7 running.

when i load up DM it just doesnt seem to recognise the OS 5 install. I have tried
    • battery pull,
    • restart windows,
    • BBSAK also doesnt seem to recongise my BB
    • how do i wipe?
    • uninstalled 4.6.1 which was showing in my 'add/remove programs'
    • installed/reinstalled OS 5 a number of times

running out ideas what to do now??? am about to throw my poor BB against the wall maybe that will fix it.

Please help
    CrackBerry User

hello peeps

managed to crack it now!
    I loaded the loader.exe file from programfiles/common files/research in motion/apploader/
    previous i wasnt doing this. currently being installed now as we speak.... OH update 'restore device date'

almost done.
    hope my way helps someone else
    CrackBerry User

UPDATE: simply case of delete and re-install

ok guys

all iz well... updated 99% successfully... expect.... my twitter app is missing? any ideas how to retrieve? cant find it anywhere :s
    Last edited by bluesnoop85; 10-29-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Install Twitter from Blackberry App World.

Model: Custom Curve 8900
    PIN: 258C4DAD
    TWITTER: gavdixon