Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Loving my phone too. All my other friends with BB's say that mine takes the best pics! My only complaint on that is that it's slow to take the pic itself and it's even worse with the flash. The flash goes really bring for about 2 seconds then takes the pic. Can't seem to change that. No red eye I guess.
    The keyboard is the best I have tried as I have big hands.
    The ball, I guess we've all had issues with the ball getting jambed.
    Yup, 2G is slow but it works well when I can snag a wifi signal.

I have debated looking at other brands of phones because of the "cool" features but the one thing that keeps me with BB is the BB messenger. Love being able to keep in contact with my friend in another province for "free"!

So if they made this phone a ball-less model, I'd snap it up otherwise I'm sticking with it!

Nick
    CrackBerry User

Was using 9000 for a year and then switched to the 8900 for the past year and a half. Hands down, the best bb(and possibly phone) I have ever used. The 9700 comes close.
    Looking to replace the phone and was thinking of the 9780 but what have you 8900 users switched to and been satisfied?
    CrackBerry User

Try giving the 9900 a try. It's pretty awesome.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts

Bump, 8900 still running like a charm. One of the most reliable BB's I've owned, and I've owned a lot!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Last smatphone upgrade was to a Curve 8900 WiFi version and this unit has been both durable and productive for over 2 years and working on third year with no issues.
    Other than normal trackball maintenance - no issues. I use a eAccess leather holster and it gives all the protection the Curve wants or needs......Happy Berry Fan!
    1 9800 Torch 2 8900's Curves and 3 32gig BB PB's all on OS2.0....
    Michael ATL
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #31  

Wow I created this thread a long time ago and its still going. Even though I've moved onto an iPhone 4s months ago I'll always love the BB 8900.
    CrackBerry User

I have had my 8900 for over three years now and I think (when it's time) that I am going to have a really hard time letting go of it. It is hands down the best phone I have ever come across. Friends have through multiple phones in the last three years; they break and crash all the time... mine? Running like a champ!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'll tell you this, as far as the most solid phone, I'd have to say the 9700 plus the fact that it has 3G, a great camera, and a great screen (and OS6 has gave it some awesome features). I have the 9900 right now and to be honest wasn't worth the upgrade and VERY unstable.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I apologise for doing this, but can anyone help me with my reinstalling OS problem?

Threads here;
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...81#post7355181

Thank you
    CrackBerry User

after reading this entire thread i realized that my BlackBerry experience in general and the 8900 specifically are probably unique...

no i am not unhappy, rather the opposite, what makes my experience special is that i converted to BlackBerry only a little over a year ago and i started with an outdated (almost obsolete) obsolete model - 8900, and i can't compare it other BBs i never owned.

to shorten my long story, i will just mention that i was a loyal palm/treo user for well over a decade - this makes me one of the firstest smartphonies - and i thought i will never get rid of my treo650 which is still functional...then i came across a gifted used 8900.

this unit made me join the Blackberry family and when it came to shop for a tablet it was a no-brainer to get a PlayBook.

The magnificent feature of the PB's Bridge gave my 8900 more than a lipstick - it was not even a face lift - it was like a rejuvenation with plastic surgery..i lost any desire for upgrading b/c the wi- fi capable 8900+PB+ 4G hot spot combination do everything one can desire whilst backing each other...

i love the ability to wirelessly view (and even listen to) my 8900 music, pics, documents, calendar, contacts...you name it, all on a larger screen whilst having the ability to use 8900 as a remote control for presentations over the PB's HDMI...i can even use my 8900 memory card as the memory extension or a flash drive for my basic 16G PB...

8900 is an excellent specimen... i still get a day's worth of full use with the 3 y.o original battery and excellent voice quality...

the only negative i found - yep it was coming - is that the WAP and Internet browsers are frequently in conflict making me disable one of them.

and another irritant is the limited number of file formats to sync and back up my organizer data with desk top manager...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    PIN
    216631F3

Quote Originally Posted by Sky.Jack21 View Post
    this phone rocks! very strong after i smashed it to the floor a couple of times
    Oh.. So u smack ur phone on the floor to make it strong. Good, didn't know about that one.
    Hahah, just kidding.

@op I consider 8520 the strongest phone by BB. And a bit offtrack now, nokia 1100 strongest communication device ever made *Its even waterproof*
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by husainpatan View Post
    Oh.. So u smack ur phone on the floor to make it strong. Good, didn't know about that one.
    Hahah, just kidding.

@op I consider 8520 the strongest phone by BB. And a bit offtrack now, nokia 1100 strongest communication device ever made *Its even waterproof*
    LOL, nokia 1100, i agree... one of the best phones made ever..
    CrackBerry User

Is a great phone but it's a pity that does not use 3g :/
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts

Yeah I don't know why they just didn't add 3G to the 8900, it had everything else, and 3G would have just been the icing on the cake.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    ask me

i agreeeeeeeeeeeee 999999999999 % blackberry curve 8900 is tha best
    CrackBerry User

Ok. Got the 9780, gave it up and got the 9700. And now back to the 8900. So have acquired two more 8900's. One for my father and the other as a spare.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,085 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

I had an 8900 too when it first came out from Rogers and loved it. Trackball got "gunky" and that's why I ended up selling it, but the call quality was fantastic and as always, build quality too. And I also loved the ability for UMA calling...worked flawlessly and I don't believe I paid extra for that, if I recall.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts

I have one sitting around... But my 9360 is the newer version.
    CrackBerry User

back to using my 8900, oh how i missed this beautiful phone and its amazing keyboard

originally got my 8900 when it first came out early 09 and was using it for about 2 years. it was giving me some trackball issues and i just wanted to try out something new so got a Samsung Galaxy S 4G android phone and used that for about a year and a half, but gave that phone to my little brother and back on my 8900.

not sure how long im gonna keep on it, i kinda got over the whole appstore stuff so i dont really care for the apps now. i do miss the big full touchscreen, but just brings back memories using the 8900 again and i really missed the keyboard. other than the lock button not working, the rest of it is great, hopefully will last me a few more months till i upgrade again, looking forward to BB10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

Went back to the 8900 for a day this week whilst my 9900 was being replaced, and was happily reminded how awesome it was. The 9900 is better in many ways and I wouldn't swap back permanatly, but the 8900 is a better all around device I think - everything works perfectly, it's solid and elegant and was a device to love, not just to use. I've used a fair few BBs over the last few years and the 8900 is the only one I've truly loved - probably the only phone I've felt this strongly about (and I've had many, going back well over a decade).

8900 FTW!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Well I have had my BB8900 for ~2 years now but I am in need of a replacement. I love the 8900 for its compact candy bar stature however I dropped mine way too many times. The last drop killed the speaker so now I cannot hear the phone ringing or put someone on speakerphone. I also only get sound on one-side of my headphones when I play music. The headset speaker still works however the rear speaker does not. The 8900 I purchased has served me reliably well however I am ready to try a more recent BB. I am looking at the 9810 or the 9700. I see the 9810 has a faster processor and a bigger screen but more importantly has a physical keyboard. Meanwhile the 9700 is very similar in stature to the 8900 however it has slightly more recent hardware. I do know that I do not want any other brand at this point. I think I will tuck my 8900 safely away and keep it as a backup phone. Any suggestions for my split decision on the 9700 vs 9810? I cannot afford the latest 9900 so that is not in my consideration. Thanks
    Socrates: I drank what?
    CrackBerry Genius

The Curve 8900 was my first BlackBerry and will always be my favorite (got a Torch 9800 and now a 9900, getting a Q10 in the future). It was an absolute tank and I had no problems with it whatsoever. The only thing that wasn't tough about it was the battery door which scratched very easily when I scraped it against the sidewalk... Just don't even ask.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12