Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB 8320 vs. BB 8900

So I have a good idea of the spec upgrade difference from the Curve to the Javelin, I don't want an on-paper comparison. What i'm asking here is for the people who have actually upgraded from their berry 8320 to a Javelin to break down the pros and cons of physically having used both devices (especially in light of AT&T's release of the 8320 in sapphire ). Most of us in this part of the forum love the Javelin, so no need to hard-sell it, I want the dirty truth.
    Thanks a bunch!

Niki.

P.S. Sorry if a similar thread already exists, I didn't notice one.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

not quite, its still kind of a specs comparison of the two. I want the difference of actually using both devices, if anyone has spent some quality time (beyond the store test) with each.
    CrackBerry Master

What you're looking for is quite a long shot right now because not many people have the 8900 and the probability of a 8320 ---> 8900 convert is even lower....but I too will like to read such a review.
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

thanks guys, i guess i'll have to believe in the awesomeness of the 8900
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24a5f66b

I did!, where would you like me to begin!? The phone lives up to the great specs/upgrades from the 83xx
    CrackBerry Abuser

just go with the 8900...totally amazing, the screen alone is worth it
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,751 Global Posts
    PIN
    321ECD5A

why would you want an older technology 8300 series when you can have the javelin????
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts

Price, for one?
    Facebook
    Personal: 9700 6.0.0.418
    Work: 8330 5.0.0.438 based hybrid
    9550 5.0.0.713
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts

Theres no comparison between the 8320 and the 8900. None. The 8900 does everything the 8320 does, but better and faster. Not to mention is looks much better. Not even close....
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

I would be very interested in reception comparisons between the 8320 and 8900 - especially for those in fringe areas. Any issues with calls dropping, going to voicemail, call quality, etc. The rest of the features of the 8900 are really great but without adequate reception I will have to pass on it.

Thanks for any help,

Frank
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    Theres no comparison between the 8320 and the 8900. None. The 8900 does everything the 8320 does, but better and faster. Not to mention is looks much better. Not even close....
    I love the information I can find on this site, but comments like this always make me laugh. So if the 8320 is fast enough for me, battery life is good, the screen doesn't make me go cross-eyed then I should stay with it? I had the Bold for a couple weeks and took it back precisely because of what several people here have said. The phones do the same thing. If you want E-mail, listen to a few tunes and find information on the web in a pinch then you're set. If you must have the latest toy then get the latest toy, but I'd venture that for 95% of us we won't be doing anything on the 8900 that we can't already do on the 8320.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexihnen View Post
    I love the information I can find on this site, but comments like this always make me laugh. So if the 8320 is fast enough for me, battery life is good, the screen doesn't make me go cross-eyed then I should stay with it? I had the Bold for a couple weeks and took it back precisely because of what several people here have said. The phones do the same thing. If you want E-mail, listen to a few tunes and find information on the web in a pinch then you're set. If you must have the latest toy then get the latest toy, but I'd venture that for 95% of us we won't be doing anything on the 8900 that we can't already do on the 8320.
    Well there are certain things you can do with the 8900 that you cannot with the 8320. Also, the fact remains that the 8900 is a better faster device. Just because you do not think so doesn't make it so. The specifications alone prove what I'm saying. Now again, just because you may not think it's worth updating to does not mean that the device isn't better.

A Corvette and a Cavalier do the same things. I would venture to say one is better than the other. What say you....
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24a5f66b

Someone doesn't have an 8900. Can't pass an opinion on something you've never touched, seen, used, tried, thats just my saying. Atleast I can say sushi tastes awful, because I've tried it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts

The differences between want and need will surface in these types of threads, and those are not the same for all users. Additionally, your ability to justify the expense will also be singular to you.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of threads that make me chuckle. For example, people enraged at the fact that BB's lack certain abilities from the factory that other dumbphones have had for years. Ringer and alarm options just to name a couple.

Why did you buy the device in the first place if you feel these things would be stumbling blocks!? People don't read, don't research and then expect everything to be peachy. If you don't research things then plan on making use of the trial period. Don't blame the mfr, write them prior to buying, perhaps? See if they address your concerns, possibly by telling you an upcoming model or OS release will have said features.

I don't get folks that buy things that obviously don't suit them, then they turn around and complain about it. Didn't you know it going in? No? Return it, learn your lesson, research it better next time.

Analogy: I see this all the time being in Florida, usually some New Yorker will be trashing FL. Why'd you move here!? (job perhaps?) Why do you stay? (find a different job!)
    Goodbye now.

My apologies for the rant.
    /soapbox
    Facebook
    Personal: 9700 6.0.0.418
    Work: 8330 5.0.0.438 based hybrid
    9550 5.0.0.713
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by dphorgan2 View Post
    I did!, where would you like me to begin!? The phone lives up to the great specs/upgrades from the 83xx
    i want to know if the 8320 actually does anything better than the 8900. When I got the berry fever i'd wanted the 8320 and while researching if that was the right one for me, I learned about the 8900. Now as AT&T is releasing the 8320, I just want to clarify y they could possibly want to release it seeing as its been out for quite a while and in light of the impending release of the 8900. Other than price, how will the 8320 be better?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24a5f66b

Quote Originally Posted by NikiCJC View Post
    i want to know if the 8320 actually does anything better than the 8900. When I got the berry fever i'd wanted the 8320 and while researching if that was the right one for me, I learned about the 8900. Now as AT&T is releasing the 8320, I just want to clarify y they could possibly want to release it seeing as its been out for quite a while and in light of the impending release of the 8900. Other than price, how will the 8320 be better?
    Way better screen, 256mb memory v. 64mb, WiFi AND GPS, 3.2MP with autofocus v. 2MP, 512mhz processor v. 312mhz, smaller, feels more solid, better OS, better browser, better media player, track ball that won't turn yellow lol.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NikiCJC View Post
    Yes it does about everything better. Browsing is faster. Simply scrolling throughout the device is faster. The pictures it takes are much better. Has more memory for applications. A could go on all night. Yes they do the same thing, but the 8900 is the superior device by far.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by dphorgan2 View Post
    Someone doesn't have an 8900. Can't pass an opinion on something you've never touched, seen, used, tried, thats just my saying. Atleast I can say sushi tastes awful, because I've tried it.

You're right. Maybe I've gone out on a limb and assumed that the 8900 and 9000 provide somewhat similar experiences.
    CrackBerry User

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    Well there are certain things you can do with the 8900 that you cannot with the 8320. Also, the fact remains that the 8900 is a better faster device. Just because you do not think so doesn't make it so. The specifications alone prove what I'm saying. Now again, just because you may not think it's worth updating to does not mean that the device isn't better.

A Corvette and a Cavalier do the same things. I would venture to say one is better than the other. What say you....
    Far be it from me to contradict CX!
    I think we agree. I was only emphasizing what a couple have said since my post - that people get hung up on processor speed/screen resolution etc. maybe without considering what they need. Depsite the fact that my 8320 does everything I need I will likely upgrade to the 8900 on T-Mobile for GPS and because I love being a bberry dork.
    CrackBerry User

You're right. Maybe I've gone out on a limb and assumed that the 8900 and 9000 provide somewhat similar experiences.
    I have both, and they are very similar indeed.

The Bold is wayyy quicker at responding to key presses, searching and menu items etc.

The Bold has a great quality feel about it, the 8900 feels cheap, a little like my old 8320.

The keys on the Bold have a tactile feel to them, the 8900's are just cheap clicky items.

But the 8900 form factor is superb, no complaints there.

I think with a few firmware upgrades the 8900 will make a great phone, it's just not quite there for me yet, but it's size will probably make me Ebay the Bold.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

lol, y'all answered backwards. i asked if the old curve does anything better than the new one but i guess not...awesomeness all around on the 8900.
    oooh the waiting....
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    24B3F071

someone send me some pictures of the 8900 front and back i have to pursuade my boss to switch to this device for all of us...
    CrackBerry Abuser

My new BB 8900

Here are some pictures.

Cheers.
    Last edited by andyJH; 12-21-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast