Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Anybody ever replace an LCD on their BB?

Gonna try and replace the LCD on my broken 8900 and was wondering how difficult it would be. I'm just gonna order the LCD from the only place I could find it (ItsTek.com Home - It's Tek.com | Parts and Accessories | Blog | News & Reviews For all your mobile needs!, in the UK). Anybody ever change an LCD for say an 83xx? I figure it must be about the same difficulty. I think I need to change my keyboard too.. There is a little nubbin thing poking out above the back key, you can see it in the picture I've attached. Is that part of the phone or just part of the keyboard? If I can fix it, I wanna give my GF this 8900 so she can ditch that flipberry POS.

Thanks in advanced for the help.
    -Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody ever replace an LCD on their BB?-img00020-20090407-2250.jpg  
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,997 Global Posts

Check out one of the Sticky threads at the top of the 8900 Forum by Clint: http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/bl...cement-185961/

There is a YouTube video where they take apart an 8900, including the screen.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2811f462

Its not that difficult, I have replaced it on my bold an am guessing same way on 8900.. Just a tip the lcd has adhesive to the motherboard...disconnect the connector on the left top side and , just peel it off...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Up Model

Looking at that screen breaks my heart. let us know how it works out for you.
    "Learn to get in touch with the innermost essence of your being. This true essence is beyond the ego. It is fearless; it is free; it is immune to criticism; it does not fear any challenge. It is beneath no one, superior to no one, and full of magic, mystery, and enchantment." - Deepak Chopra
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Ordered the LCD as well as a black bezel, new keyboard, and a red trackball.. I'll keep you guys updated.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    PIN
    This Is Not eHarmony!

Be careful with the colored trackball. I killed my Bold's LCD when I went to remove it b/c it was horrible. Wouldn't roll properly and it was just crap. You can actually find a couple of threads on it in the Bold section (both use the same type of trackball).

I'm going to order the LCD for my Bold to try and replace it. Currently it's white...no image/display but I can hear sounds etc on it. I think I may have damaged the connection to the motherboard or something when I was prying it open to remove the stupid red trackball >
    Call me Ms. Queen B
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo78 View Post
    Be careful with the colored trackball. I killed my Bold's LCD when I went to remove it b/c it was horrible. Wouldn't roll properly and it was just crap. You can actually find a couple of threads on it in the Bold section (both use the same type of trackball).

I'm going to order the LCD for my Bold to try and replace it. Currently it's white...no image/display but I can hear sounds etc on it. I think I may have damaged the connection to the motherboard or something when I was prying it open to remove the stupid red trackball >
    JoJo78-sorry to hear about your Bold. How exactly did you "kill" the LCD? I mean I know you said while prying it open to get the trackball out.. But at what step?
    Hopefully you just damaged the ribbon cable and not the mobo itself.

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Alright, well the LCD came in the mail... waiting on the rest of the parts/tools from cnn.cn to start taking it apart.. ughhh the anticipation is killing me!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,313 Global Posts
    PIN
    8900 for sale

aww man.. i am sorry whatever happed to your sweet bb.. I believe that you can fix that by yourself.. its easy fix and replace LCD.. but just be careful when you install house and keyboard gather together or **** up..
    • • T-MO GN II • 4G • FanDROID • •
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

FIXED IT! Here's a quick tut I put up.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/tu...8900-a-209093/