Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Virgin Mobile 8530 Tethering

Hey everyone, looking into switching from Verizon to VMUSA. I have the tour and really would like the wifi and trackpad instead of the ball. I already own the tether application and was wondering if tethering would work on this carrier?

I read on one of the FAQs on the 8530 on the site that someone said they blocked tethering applications. I was just wondering how they can block a download or if that is even possible.

If anyone has a VM 8530 that is tethering, let me know! If i can't tether, then I dont know if im gonna spend the 300 on the phone.

Thanks
    Ron
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I don't have mine yet so I can't test, but according to early reports of Howardforums, Tether and PDAnet both work.

Be advised, though, that tethering is against the VMUSA acceptable use policy. There haven't been reports of any action against tetherers yet, but be aware there may be in future.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Ok cool. Yeah was against VZW too, but no issues there. No way they can tell when it looks like the same data. Its not like im downloading, its just browsing. prob use more on Pandora streaming, lol. Hopefully it works, not sure what they could even do, its not like it's a 2 year contract.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hey, Sorry to awaken an old thread, but were either of you guys able to get it working?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Yes, did you guys tether successfully with the 8530 on Virgin Mobile? I too would only use it for browsing and basic on the road internet. I do all my downloading with my Cable Internet at home, WAY much faster anyway.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default well?

Does tether work with it? I'm gonna pick it up regardless now that its $249, but it would be nice if it did.
    Last edited by verngrey212; 08-26-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Yes, would love to hear any details about this. Also, if you tether with Blackberry Desktop Manager, which setting do you use? Virgin Mobile doesn't appear on the list.
    CrackBerry Newbie

what program do you use to tether?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Smile

Tether works on Virgin Mobile. I'm using the 8530 with Tether (download the trial and try it out?) and haven't had any problems or issues. Depending on where I'm at and the time of day I'm getting a solid 1MB connection, low has been about half a meg. It's spiked from time to time to 2MB. More than enough to check emails and do some youtubing! I got Tether 50% off just a few days ago using this code "tether50" try it out! I've read that this code is active at random?

As for Virgin Mobile (Sprint?) and the pay as you go blackberry I have to say I'm very impressed! $60 a month unlimited everything! Throw tether into the mix and you now have unlimited on the road web via laptop/netbook too. If you want to hotspot your newly liberated internet... share the connection using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Windows. Available in all versions of Windows from 98 - 7!

Good luck!
    Last edited by aidan80; 09-12-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    Thanked by:
    ADFXPro777 (05-31-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by garygorgor View Post
    what program do you use to tether?
    Funny enough I asked myself the same question before. A few minutes of googling later (google seems to know all lol) and I had my answer! A program called "Tether" once known as "Tetherberry". You can download a free trial from their website.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Ok i am confirming that it works and its FREE.. well kinda... ok the website is TetherBridge Download its a 3 day trial ,BUT they have an unlimited free version that works just as well read the site for more info about it. I am so happy it works. All i need now is my BB and my laptop and im good to go anywhere!!
    CrackBerry User

Hello, I have been unable to get this to work. Two connections show up (Virgin Mobile and Virgin Mobile Canada) but I can't get either one to connect. Any suggestions?

TIA
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

Quick tethering through wifi connection question.

So I finally had a chance to try out the tether app yesterday on my laptop that doesn't have wifi. Worked great and it was easy of set-up, but the internet speed left a lot to be desired. Crackberry.com took forever to load up while the mobile site didn't take quite as long. I was just wondering if instead of using my network to tethering I could use a wifi hotspot to tether?

I've search these forums for a answer, but I just need a clear yes or no.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by blackcaneaddict; 01-11-2011 at 06:08 AM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I've been trying to do this with my Ubuntu 9.04 netbook using Barry. For what I can tell, I need the peer and chat script files (Sprint's didn't work). If anyboybody has a copy, PLEASE pm me.

CrackBerry User

I use the tether function built in to DM with my TMo 8900. Looking to get the VM 8530, though, so if anyone out there gets that combo to work, please inform. Thanks in advance.

CrackBerry User

so to clarify, I installed a new version of the BB computer app. It now has a quick link to tether to get it started. I got to where I picked the provider (sprint) but it said charges may apply so I stopped. Not wanting to get extra charges. But ive also ran across that warning on pandora I think. May be a generic warning.
    Im on virgin mobile, no contract. So I have 300 min talk, and unlimited data for $35 per month. The data rocks always connected full signal. Would be nice to try my laptop to see if it really works, but just dont want to get hit with a extra charge.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    PIN
    320FA7D7

Do these tethering apps allow the Curve to be used as a Mobile Hotspot? I ask as I want to use this with my iPad to get online when I don't have a wifi hotspot.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    PIN
    320FA7D7

FWIW I know there was a mobile hotspot app for the VM android phones, but hope there's something like this for my BB Curve. That would be so cool!
    CrackBerry User

I called virgin mobile, and they said tethering is disabled. Now I never tried it to verify what they had said
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aidan80 View Post
    Tether works on Virgin Mobile. I'm using the 8530 with Tether (download the trial and try it out?) and haven't had any problems or issues. Depending on where I'm at and the time of day I'm getting a solid 1MB connection, low has been about half a meg. It's spiked from time to time to 2MB. More than enough to check emails and do some youtubing! I got Tether 50% off just a few days ago using this code "tether50" try it out! I've read that this code is active at random?

As for Virgin Mobile (Sprint?) and the pay as you go blackberry I have to say I'm very impressed! $60 a month unlimited everything! Throw tether into the mix and you now have unlimited on the road web via laptop/netbook too. If you want to hotspot your newly liberated internet... share the connection using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Windows. Available in all versions of Windows from 98 - 7!

Good luck!
    This might be one of a few ways to fully tether a VM-powered Blackberry. Also, crackberry.com has a review of this app here:

http://crackberry.com/tether-blackberry-review
    Thanked by:
    lpnalda (05-31-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    PIN
    320FA7D7

Quote Originally Posted by BBFXPro777 View Post
    This might be one of a few ways to fully tether a VM-powered Blackberry. Also, crackberry.com has a review of this app here:

http://crackberry.com/tether-blackberry-review
    I might download this and try tethering my IPad to my BB. By the way I sure love that demo guys BB theme lol! Makes the BB look like my Mac.
    CrackBerry User

hey is there a way to teather to my ipad with my blackberry 8530
    I have not installed teather yet
    I doubt I can use the usb on my ipad to get the internet
    but I saw on teather site it mentioned bluetooth?

just wanted a way to use the ipad with my phone as the connection