Upgrading Curve 8520 from OS 4.6 to 5.0
I have a Curve 8520, company unlocked, with a data plan from MTC.
I am running OS 184.108.40.2064 and I want to upgrade to OS 5.
I downloaded version 5.0.0 (file name: 8520wifiM_PBr5.0.0_rel1168_PL220.127.116.11_A18.104.22.1681_M TC_Touch). I made sure it is compatible with 8520. I installed on my PC.
I am running Desktop Manager v. 6.1
1. In DM, I click Device > Update: It says no updates.
2. I tried accessing the apploader directly, there is no mention of the OS in the list of programs...just the regular facebook, twitter, gmail apps, etc..
3. I deleted the Vendor file, AND checked if there are other version in the Users folder (since I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise Edition) and repeated the above to no avail.
4. I checked if the OS is installed through Control Panel > Programs. It is.
5. I tried installing the OS as if it is "nuked", but I do not get the USB:UNKNOWN thing. I just get the pin directly. I also tried it without a battery...same thing.
I have been googling for the past 3 hours and I think I tried everything.
Thanks in advance
- 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM #2
You need to delete the "vendor.xml" file before opening DM to update, otherwise DM will tell you there aren't any updates.
The file is located at C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
I used the start menu search option to look for other instances of Vendor and I didn't find any. Today, I opened "Computer" and typed "Vendor" in the search box. I found another version and renamed it into Vendor1.
The update worked. Thanks
- 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM #5
after being frustrated all weekend with trying to figure out why i couldn't upgrade from 4.6, i googled and stumbled upon this post. THANK YOU SO MUCH! i went in, deleted those vendor files and amazingly... voila! i am now on 5.0.
- 04-02-2012, 03:20 AM #8
Hope this helps
Once I removed those 'vendor' files, I restarted my system and opened DM. I connected the Berry, waited for an eternity for DM to finally connect & see my Berry and then clicked on 'Device' in the upper left corner... then 'Update.' Be patient, the 'Update' option takes a long time to finally appear in the drop down menu. DM then checks for updates and 5.0 finally came up - as it wouldn't before... I kept getting the "There are no BlackBerry Device Software updates available" message.
- 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM #9
My 8520 now continuously blinks the red light. my netbook running XP was detecting an error during the upgrade possiboy because the apploader and DM were running same time. Today i manage to get the PIN:UNKNOWN but it cant find an OS so i am downloading another version of the OS5. I am attaching images below
- 04-04-2012, 12:57 PM #10
I removed all vendor files and still had problems. The apploader wouldn't read the pin. How it worked:
1.I changed to my admin account.
2. removed all instances of vendor.xml
3. Installed the SouthEast Asia Pack and restarted.
4. I went to the BBSAK program folder and used the run-as command to run it in the account without admin priveledges. Clicked Connect and the Apploader had Unknown Pin.
Prior to all this the curve was reporting unknown device. Did Uninstall and choose driver to install. Left it at this stage blinking the red light and it managed to recognise the phone.
- 06-13-2012, 12:37 PM #12
i have blackberry 8520 version of v.4.6,1.286
also i have desktop manager version 7.0 and when i update it show there is no update whereas my friends are using the version of higher.
I too want to upgrade the version could you please guide me how to update as i dont know much about blackberry updation
- 07-20-2012, 12:53 AM #15
Done with the upgrade. Worked like a charm. Steps followed:
1. Delelte "vendor.xml" from machine
2. restart system, and start BB desktop Manager. Ideally should update itself, if not continue to next
3. Download relevant OS from BB website for your network provider
4. Run file, and restart system
5. Run BB Desktop Manager, and the update should reflect on the system
Thanks all for your help.
- CrackBerry Master
08-05-2012, 06:40 AM #17
- 1,499 Posts
- Just PM
the best available os for the BB Curve 8520 is: JSL-8520-Driphter-7.0
is use it too, its very good ! it has all the 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 components (Best build from all the OS'es)
This Hybrid is for the Curve 8520 'Gemini'.
I recommend uninstalling any other OS’s from your computer and running CCleaner (both file and registry with all options selected other than “wipe free space”) to ensure a clean install.
THE INSTALLER WILL WIPE THE DEVICE,
SO PLEASE BACKUP BEFORE RUNNING THE INSTALLER!
How to install
- Disable phone password
- (IMPORTANT!!) Make a back-up of your device using BlackBerry Desktop Software
- Install JSL 8520 v7.0 using the installer package
- Selectively restore your data
It is recommended to do the selective restore after the initial bootup before you press 'ok' on the EULA screen.
This build consists of: 22.214.171.1247/126.96.36.1999/188.8.131.522/184.108.40.2065/220.127.116.111
- Includes Half and Half 1079/1082 Java with ~80 18.104.22.1681
- Supports all languages! (East Asian = v.1049/.1055)
- Extra backgrounds and sample music has been removed.
- All carrier garbage has been meticulously removed
- Includes Precision Zen 7 theme (v7.0)
- Blackberry Messenger (22.214.171.124)
- GMail Plugin (v126.96.36.199)
- Documents2Go (v2.0005.105)
- Appworld (v188.8.131.52)
- Twitter (v184.108.40.206) & Facebook (v220.127.116.11)
- Extra Apps Include: Foursquare (v3.1), Weathereye (v18.104.22.168), GPS Tool (requested)(v1.5.3) and PlayerforYouTube (v1.2.97)
Known bugs: Beejive works (so stop asking me, the latest version works, so if you're using a non-paid-for older version, then thats not my problem). Memory, Battery, And Performance are all amazing, East Asian inputs and issues have been fixed.
If you have issues with service books go into Options>Advanced Options>Service Books and type ALT+SBEB then restore your backup again.
The first reboot will take a longer than normal. Battery life may not be optimal until the device settles (Testing via Meterberry: 3.6%/h average use). If you have it loaded and are experiencing problems, consider wiping and reloading before posting the problem!
About Screen/Help Screen
If you're unsure about whether the hybrid installed; go to (Options)>(Applications), switch from 'Third Party' to 'Core' and pay close attention to the listing.
Last edited by jeroen_13; 08-05-2012 at 06:43 AM.Developer of; Crackberry Forums Reader app -> Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID)
Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME or EMAIL me @ Jeroen_13@crackberry.com
bbUI.js expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! Blackberry Playbook 64GB WEBWORKS APP DEVELOPER & APP CONVERTER + SIGNING
- 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM #19