CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Two way sync, wireless or otherwise

Hi folks,

Don't hold out much hope with this one after visiting the Blackberry forum with the additional help of my carrier, Orange.

I have to say at the outset Orange have been absolutely marvellous in taking the issue onboard to an almost personal standpoint, highly rec'd.

I switched from my existing carrier three due to long term poor reception in the home, Orange offered UMA access which made all the difference making the change worth while - however went from a Nokia E72 to a BB 8520 and was truly shocked by the step backwards hence my call into orange.

Firstly there is no two way sync either wireless or otherwise with MSLive/Hotmail, instead BB rec exporting to a csv file, you have to be joking right! this is not 1998 or is it?

Emails you delete from Outlook on your desktop remain on your BB until they expire 30 days later - good grief is all I can say.. have they not seen Nokia messaging in action.

I installed the BBDM from CD and followed the update to a newer version, 2 hours later and 250mb it finally finished then came the handset update, another hour - excuse me this phone only came out last year in the UK what gives?

After all this the option to sync Outlook and emails is greyed out...

Apart from the gripes above I really like the unit and UMA is the best thing since sliced bread, any help with the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David

I may be wrong but I think two way e-mail sync is a BES only feature... I'm not an Outlook user, but consider this. Still, they implemented something similar to Gmail, and it's said that BIS 3.2 will have it for Yahoo! and Hotmail.

What is it you're trying to inport using a csv file?

3 hours to download DM and the OS update? You were out of luck, or you had a very bad access point... It hardly ever takes that long for either.

Welcome to the forums... I guess.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for the speedy reply diegonei,

The install from CD took around an hour although I did select the Roxio sync apps too - when I clicked on 'updates' it downloaded a whopping 250MB file followed by another hour to install, my thoughts are that it uninstalled the original then installed the fresh copy.

The home screen asked if I wanted to update the phones software which I did, again this took a while whilst it uninstalled the original apps which were not compatible (or at least some) with version 5.x.

The good news is everything works but I can't help think this is bloatware although the actual RIM folder on my machine is only 72MB excluding Roxio?

This is why I bought the Blackberry Windows Live™ on your BlackBerry Smartphone

as I wanted to use my Windows Live account which over time has become my business account (may change this though which will help)

You can imagine my surprise when a] you cant sync with your desktop and b] to install your contacts you have to BlackBerry - Smartphone and Email Account Setup

Nooooo, they can't be serious but they are, even the techies at Orange couldn't believe it but there we are.

This ad by Blackberry is misleading imo as the functionality is so greatly reduced it's not really compatible - if you compare it to Nokia messaging which is an identical setup you will soon see the difference so I fail to see why RIM who are leaders haven't followed??

I think the answer is to create a Google business account which by all accounts works with BB, does it allow sync of emails and contacts do you know?

Thanks again,

Let's have it Jack's way and chop to bits...

Quote Originally Posted by hoglite View Post
    Thanks for the speedy reply diegonei,

We're here to help.

The install from CD took around an hour although I did select the Roxio sync apps too - when I clicked on 'updates' it downloaded a whopping 250MB file followed by another hour to install, my thoughts are that it uninstalled the original then installed the fresh copy.

It's very likely. The software on the CD can't possibly be as up to day as what we find online. Roxio is a slow peice of software but I find it useful for videos... Still, shouldn't take that long unless your rig is already burdened...

The home screen asked if I wanted to update the phones software which I did, again this took a while whilst it uninstalled the original apps which were not compatible (or at least some) with version 5.x.

OS updates via DM are downloaded and then installed (since I know you didn't download an OS yourself, I can affirm this). The OS package is around 100-150MB, the OS update itself can go from 10-90 minutes, so that explains why it took so long.

The good news is everything works but I can't help think this is bloatware although the actual RIM folder on my machine is only 72MB excluding Roxio?

RIM's software is alllll over the PC, not just in that folder. Strange, I agree.

This is why I bought the Blackberry Windows Live™ on your BlackBerry Smartphone

Bought? How? That's free...

as I wanted to use my Windows Live account which over time has become my business account (may change this though which will help)

I don't like Hotmail for business really, but since it seems you do use Outlook. Still, if you have BIS, adding a Hotmail (or any other Microsoft account) is as easy as that: Log to BIS (http://www.carrier.blackberry.com) and add the emails you want there.

You can imagine my surprise when a] you cant sync with your desktop and b] to install your contacts you have to BlackBerry - Smartphone and Email Account Setup

And that's what I don't really get what you're so surprised about... BIS never really said you could sync contacts OTA. That would be BES, the enterprise counterpart, which brings all Heaven to BlackBerry. It's a feature that's being implemented now. A solution (and the one I used till Gmail Contact Sync started working) was to install Google Sync and have it go get my contacts, but that's not necessary now. Neither for Yahoo! accounts.

Nooooo, they can't be serious but they are, even the techies at Orange couldn't believe it but there we are.

This ad by Blackberry is misleading imo as the functionality is so greatly reduced it's not really compatible - if you compare it to Nokia messaging which is an identical setup you will soon see the difference so I fail to see why RIM who are leaders haven't followed??

You fail to see it because you're on BIS. Like I've been saying, BES is a whole new ball game.

I think the answer is to create a Google business account which by all accounts works with BB, does it allow sync of emails and contacts do you know?

I have a Gmail account. The one everybody has. Free. I get my contacts synced using BIS and calendar using the Google Sync.

Thanks again,
    Again, next BIS update will most likely bring Hotmail Contact Sync. Gmail was the 1st to get it, followed by Yahoo!. Hotmail is bound to since it's the only one left.

Another idea could be using the cvs files you already have, sending it to either one and then adding that email with Contact Sync enabled.

Good luck.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Cheers for that detailed reply diegonei,

just doing a quick reply as Orange called me back about the whole email sync thing - this was another dept who had direct admin access to the BIS and my account.

They have now 'ticked' the box which says 'two way sync inc deletions on your desktop'

Fingers crossed then

It should be just as you like.... I hope.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

You know the irony to this?

In 2003 I used to head up a team upgrading Blackberry's for the London Tube network, we had several BES servers supporting up to 2000 users on Orange.

Had the whole operation down to a fine art in the end, call up to 50 users into the offices and migrate them onto the then new 72x without any loss of data.

It worked most of the time

Anyway, now I find myself as a 'user' needing help, unfortunately the aforementioned 'tick box' had no effect on wireless email sync which leads me onto the next Q, why is the option to sync emails using the BBDM greyed out?

Btw, I received an email from Live mail (Hotmail) to say there has been an upgrade so will check out what the improvements are.

Do you think it's worth waiting for Live mail to upgrade or should i bite the bullet (where did that expression come from ) and switch to Googlemail?

Do you know if Googlemail supports Outlook connector ?

Thanks bud for your help,

David

Btw, if anyone needs a copy Orange admin sent me their internal support document for the Blackberry which has a fair bit of info on it.
    Last edited by hoglite; 07-24-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoglite View Post
    You know the irony to this?

In 2003 I used to head up a team upgrading Blackberry's for the London Tube network, we had several BES servers supporting up to 2000 users on Orange.

Had the whole operation down to a fine art in the end, call up to 50 users into the offices and migrate them onto the then new 72x without any loss of data.

It worked most of the time

Anyway, now I find myself as a 'user' needing help, unfortunately the aforementioned 'tick box' had no effect on wireless email sync which leads me onto the next Q, why is the option to sync emails using the BBDM greyed out?

Welcome to the dark side!

Btw, I received an email from Live mail (Hotmail) to say there has been an upgrade so will check out what the improvements are.

Do you think it's worth waiting for Live mail to upgrade or should i bite the bullet (where did that expression come from ) and switch to Googlemail?

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bite-the-bullet.html

You could forward your email to Google for the time being? I moved from Hotmail about 10 years ago. It never really made into my BlackBerry... Only use it as spam bait so my other emails are ok.

Yahoo! got it and nobody was expecting it. Same could happen to hotmail... Or not.

Do you know if Googlemail supports Outlook connector ?

No, I don't really. I never fancied Outlook... I know you can add Gmail (ooh yes, it's called GoogleMail in the UK, sorry) you can add GoogleMail to Outlook as easy as you can add a MSN/Hotmail account. There is also a software that allows you to sync your Outlook calendar with Google Calendar.

Thanks bud for your help,

David

Btw, if anyone needs a copy Orange admin sent me their internal support document for the Blackberry which has a fair bit of info on it.
    I wouldn't mind a copy of that... We never know...

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Has anything changed or is it still the same partial sync problem with Blackberry's and Hotmail/Outlook?

I have my own routine/workaround for the problem but it's becoming a real pain as my business increases.

Cheers all,

I don't know.

But you could look for BES Express on the BlackBerry website. Free BES if you have the requirements to install it.

Thanked by:
    hoglite (01-23-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Ta diegonei, btw, did you get that doc I sent ok?

No, I don't think I did... Send again?

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

My contract with Orange finishes next month after spending most of it's life in a box.

I noticed a thread when logging on. 'Where did RIM go wrong?'

Let's start with 'upload a CSV' to sync your contacts
    Last edited by hoglite; 06-30-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Lets hope they have moved on from Synchronising your contacts with a CSV file.

Watching with interest.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Are the new Blackberry platforms now on a par with say Apple/android for wireless sync?

The official Blackberry forum suggests they are sort of but it takes four hours to sync?

Just about to change phones again, so taking a look at Blackberry.