Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Suspected nuked 8520 - troubles with restoring it

I was wondering what the loud clunking emanating from my tumble dryer was. Turns out that I forgot my Blackberry 8520 in my jeans pocket and put it in the washing machine...and then the tumble dryer...you read that right...I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Anyway, there was no activity whatsoever when I tried to turn it on, charge it or plug it into the computer, so I hoped against hope that it was simply the battery that was screwed and not the Blackberry itself. So I bought a new battery. When I put the new battery in this time there was some signs of life! The red LED that usually indicates a text came on for an extended period, but it still didn't turn on and was not recognised by the computer when I plugged it in the USB slot.

I Googled this and turned out it was a common feature of "nuked" Blackberries, so rather than waste your time on these forums I decided to try restore it using this guide:
    How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked or Bricked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

However, a small problem at the first hurdle. On Step #1 when it asks you to select the communication port that the device is connected to there are no options to select (the drop-down box comes down but doesn't have any options). The "detect automatically" box is grayed out.

My computer is a Windows 7. I confess that I haven't upgraded the Blackberry desktop software since I bought the Blackberry last year.

So:
    1) Am I just being over-optimistic and actually it is no more, it has ceased to be, it's expired and gone to meet it's maker, this is a late Blackberry so I need to buy a new one?
    2) If it is simply nuked, why are there no options on the drop-down box?
    3) Are there any other options to restore it?
    4) Am I massively over-reacting and it just needs to charge?

Cheers!
    CrackBerry Genius

Here's the catch. First, pull out your battery first if you haven't already
    Then, try to connect it
    Your computer should show something new connected. Then open apploader. It should detect it
    When you hit connect, it will show it disconnected sometimes, but wait. Just wait, it will load.
    IF apploader sees nothing. Keep it open, and disconnect/reconnect your phone. It should show up eventually
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

A new development. So I left it charging for a few hours and then, when I held down on the power button, it turned on...sort of.The keyboard backlight turns on and when I plug it into my PC it recognises it. However, the screen doesn't turn on.

So I think I can safely say that it isn't nuked, but the screen is most definitely broken despite there being no cracks or anything.

Do you know how I can fix that?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WArch View Post
    A new development. So I left it charging for a few hours and then, when I held down on the power button, it turned on...sort of.The keyboard backlight turns on and when I plug it into my PC it recognises it. However, the screen doesn't turn on.

So I think I can safely say that it isn't nuked, but the screen is most definitely broken despite there being no cracks or anything.

Do you know how I can fix that?
    With all those bumps, if I were you I would probably try to get the screen checked out or check it out by myself even. Don't buy a new screen without checking the inside of your phone first.

Hope this helps.