Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Optical trackpad in BRIGHT sunlight

Been using the 8520 for six weeks now and love it. Personally, the optical trackpad is soo nice to use I'd go for the 8520 over any other current/upcoming trackball device (until they make something with higher specs) simply because I love the trackpad sooo much.

That said, I've used the trackpad in pretty much every normal/everyday condition so far without issue, though today it finally tripped me up.

Was heading out to lake in gf's car... She was driving and had the top down. Found that in BRIGHT direct sunlight (like sun beaming on it) that the input became a bit messed up - either not responding or only moving one "click" per bigger swipe. As soon as I shaded it just a tiny bit with my other hand it was fine again.

So could be a bit of a limitation to the tech here.... After using the trackpad so long I don't like the trackball as much, and this one situation hiccup wouldn't turn me off it, but I guess this is one setting where some would prefer the trackball over trackpad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts

Too bad the Tour has a ball.
    im not sayin but im sayin know what im sayin - J ROC

DRRRROOOOOIIIIIIIIIDDDDD
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    Been using the 8520 for six weeks now and love it. Personally, the optical trackpad is soo nice to use I'd go for the 8520 over any other current/upcoming trackball device (until they make something with higher specs) simply because I love the trackpad sooo much.

That said, I've used the trackpad in pretty much every normal/everyday condition so far without issue, though today it finally tripped me up.

Was heading out to lake in gf's car... She was driving and had the top down. Found that in BRIGHT direct sunlight (like sun beaming on it) that the input became a bit messed up - either not responding or only moving one "click" per bigger swipe. As soon as I shaded it just a tiny bit with my other hand it was fine again.

So could be a bit of a limitation to the tech here.... After using the trackpad so long I don't like the trackball as much, and this one situation hiccup wouldn't turn me off it, but I guess this is one setting where some would prefer the trackball over trackpad.

I really like the sound of the trackpad. As you said only one glitch so far and that seems like a minor one. I know I've had the trackball on my phone stick a few times and have to tap it or even take it right out for a speck of dust. The pad just seems so much cleaner and maintenance free. Hopefully is does become the norm on the BB's to come like it seems to be (like the bold style keyboard being on most of the new release phones).
    Progression - Storm 9530 (gave back after 2 weeks) - Curve 8330 - Tour 9630 (running 5.0.0.230 + 7.11hybrid) - Storm2 9550 (5.0.0.713) - Torch 9800 with a Pearl 9100 (back-up and camping phone) - Playbook (64gig) - Bold 9900 - Galaxy S3 (Oops...Sorry Blackberry) - BlackBerry Z10 (So glad to be back after a 3 month departure)

Follow me on Twitter
  4. CGI
    CrackBerry Addict

I'm interested in the trackpad and excited to try it. But the "ball" aint bad.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,802 Global Posts

I like the trackball on my devices but the trackpad does sound nicer and easier to use. Im wondering if the same trackpad tech used in laptops could be applied to the next generation BB's.
    @DearFloyd
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    PIN
    Yup I like you too...

Default Kevin

Ok so let me get this straight.

1- you have the 8520 / that we can't have for now
    2- Then you or your gf has a convertible / which I don't have now
    3- You're right in the sun / It's raining at my place!

And your complaining about an optical tracpad? I knew I was good at being sarcastic, but I've gotta bown down your tha man!

PS: for every one it's joke.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    304BE829

did he also mention he was where its really warm and close to cuba? unless he already went back home..
    ..................Motorola Droid 2.0 no Bis problems here........
    http://twitter.com/moosc
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Trackpad worked just fine in Florida...
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    PIN
    Yup I like you too...

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    did he also mention he was where its really warm and close to cuba? unless he already went back home..
    LOl

10 char
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    DoLoL Is A βeta Blocker

I wanna see the trackpad in action for myself. It sounds like it is easy to use...
    We must overcome the notion that we must be regular... it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre.
    Blackberry 101: Lecture Series|Memory Optimization|How To Recover A Dead Blackberry|Posting Rules|How to Search Forums
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Although I've not owned either one, I have 'played with the 8330 and th Samsung Saga at a local VZW store. We all know the 8330 is a track ball, but the Samsung Saga has a track pad. It is smooth and quick, and I can see that with one less moving part, less parts to wear out & no more changing out the track ball. And it is like a laptop pad.

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

Looks like Kevin is starting to find those hidden secrets with new handsets ala me... I trust you've obviously reported this finding/issue.

Global Posts
    9,512 Global Posts
    PIN
    type mypin

with that being said I think that its a bit different then the tech on a laptop then..

I have never researched a phone trackpad technology but that doesn't happen on laptop trackpads..

I would be curious to see exactly the differences..

I am happy to hear that you say it works well though.. Not to mention that any phone in direct sunlight isn't the best anyway the screen usually isn't the greatest..

Thanks for the info!
    Guys/Gals when I post things I am posting to the best of my knowledge if I am for certain incorrect please correct me more knowledge to me helps. Thanks!
    http://twitter.com/sn4p2k10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    G pong is not a sport

Well since its an optical pad I can see how it would wash out in very bright sunlight. A laser pointer aimed at the trackpad might do the same thing.

CrackBerry User

good, I'll not change track every 3 mounts
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,943 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH ME.

Hmm...that could be a problem for some people. What would you rather have? A trackball that sticks every now and then (though, the black trackballs might not do that anymore, I am not sure) or a trackpad that might not work in direct sunlight? Hmmm...

Either way, I still like the way the trackball looks, I have to get used to the trackpad design.
    Check out my Crackberry video contest (winning!!!) entry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRi7isNtOEA
    Don't follow me on Twitter.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

Ha Ha Good One!
    We all know BlackBerry's can't own cars and drive!
    A wise man once told me.....to shut the ____ UP!

"Why would you dumb craps argue with CX? It's like arguing with Jesus about the Bible."
    -codito-
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
    Hmm...that could be a problem for some people. What would you rather have? A trackball that sticks every now and then (though, the black trackballs might not do that anymore, I am not sure) or a trackpad that might not work in direct sunlight? Hmmm...

Either way, I still like the way the trackball looks, I have to get used to the trackpad design.
    The black ones get stuck too. Well they do when you put one on the Curve 83** anyway.
    I don't know about the Bold or 8900. I have a friend that has the 8900 but she is a very light (not even light to moderate) user and she says she has never had an issue all though that isn't saying much.
    I am a bit jealous as to how smooth it is though compared to my 8330 Curve.

I do love the trackball and the way t looks but I am very open to BlackBerry going to Trackpads if that were to happen for all models eventually.

"Why would you dumb craps argue with CX? It's like arguing with Jesus about the Bible."
    -codito-
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

yeah, i've used the trackpad many, many times outside... no issues at all (even in what i considered prior to be very direct/bright sunlight). but just yesterday..for whatever reason, maybe the brightness, lack of smog, angle of the sun hitting it... it tripped it up just a bit. maybe there'll be a max lumen threshhold or something on the spec sheet.. lol. nah, but seriously, don't think it will really be an issue at all for most, but i guess something to be aware of. still loving trackpad over trackball.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

yeah, i've used the trackpad many, many times outside... no issues at all (even in what i considered prior to be very direct/bright sunlight). but just yesterday..for whatever reason, maybe the brightness, lack of smog, angle of the sun hitting it... it tripped it up just a bit. maybe there'll be a max lumen threshhold or something on the spec sheet.. lol. nah, but seriously, don't think it will really be an issue at all for most, but i guess something to be aware of. still loving trackpad over trackball.
    I was also thinking maybe a combo of light and heat.
    I left my Storm in my Jeep for a couple hours one day and it was in direct sunlight for at least 30 minutes if not a litte more. It was a little laggy (as well as hot enough to make me almost drop it) when I picked it up to use it. It was fine after less than a minute though.

Anyhoo...Something like that definitely wouldn't scare me away from a big bad trackpad either.

-codito-
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Hmmmm... I. Think Kevin is a liberal blackberry user lol
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Ask

wouldnt rolling your hand over it cover the light??
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Broke yesterday!!!

I'm loving the trackpad and hating the keypad, maybe I'm too used to my Javelin. Somehow the keypad feels very stiif and needs some pressing down when typing and my thumb is really sore

CrackBerry User

any video of the trackpad in action?
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

yeah, video of it in action in my first review....

BlackBerry Curve 8520 Review - First Impressions | CrackBerry.com

haven't done a video of it in bright sunlight. if it gets really bright outside i'll put one together.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast