Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    PIN
    3217F378
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default LED Offset?

I've noticed that my 8530's status LED is much brighter when looking at it from the left at about a 25-45 degree angle. It almost makes me think that the LED isn't lined up evenly to the hole in the case/screen. Anyone else notice? Or is it just me and/or my 8530.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

it was that way on my old school 8830 and my wifes, and on the 5 different storm2 that we have had and my stepsons storm2...and his girlfriends curve. good thing rim dont play basketball....insert basketball and rim joke here***
    OIIIIO ('jeepjeep')
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

I think it's suppose to be like that, mine is like that. The LED seems to be brighter when looking at it from the left, but really dim when looking at it directly from above.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    PIN
    296C692F

Yeah I noticed that too. It was kinda annoying at first having the light behind the plastic not correctly alligned with the led viewhole, but I've gotten usse to it.
    Also nice not having it blind you when you have a msg.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

I think it's that way because what's positioned directly under the hole is the light sensor, and not the LED.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    PIN
    3217F378
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by joandrade View Post
    I think it's that way because what's positioned directly under the hole is the light sensor, and not the LED.
    Good observation. Makes a little more sense now.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by opskmallory View Post
    I've noticed that my 8530's status LED is much brighter when looking at it from the left at about a 25-45 degree angle. It almost makes me think that the LED isn't lined up evenly to the hole in the case/screen. Anyone else notice? Or is it just me and/or my 8530.
    There are actually 3 LEDs in your phone: red, green and blue. Having 3 separate bulbs means none of them are directly under the light hole. These lights can theoretically combine to generate all sorts of colors.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask :)

Mine's the same, normal.

And as above, a LOT of colours can be used. Shame RIM doesn't allow you to chose.
    Addicted and proud!

BlackBerry 8520 V5 + Cowon S9
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by cwong15 View Post
    There are actually 3 LEDs in your phone: red, green and blue. Having 3 separate bulbs means none of them are directly under the light hole. These lights can theoretically combine to generate all sorts of colors.
    What do you mean by 3 separate bulbs?

I think that there's only ONE LED light, but the light is "changeable"... That's why there are apps that will let you do that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    PIN
    3217F378
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by mangcool View Post

I think that there's only ONE LED light, but the light is "changeable"... That's why there are apps that will let you do that.
    Agreed. I've watch pretty closely and observed the light coming from the exact same source, regardless of color. Full-spectrum LEDs are pretty common. It makes more sense to have a single multi-color LED rather than multiple single-color LEDs.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask :)

I noticed that there is no true "white" led either, more of a pink LED with increased brightness.

(Yeah I downloaded one of them silly LED apps, gone now lol).

What I really, really want to see if an option from RIM to customize the colour to whatever YOU want, seems as it would be free for them to do so.

I would kill for an orange service light .
    Addicted and proud!

BlackBerry 8520 V5 + Cowon S9
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by mangcool View Post

Speaking as a developer who has been messing around with the LEDs a lot, I would say that it certainly feels like
    there are 3 distinct color elements. Maybe the hardware has changed but it looks like the case
    with my old Curve 8320. Try this experiment: install my flashlight app ExtraLight from the link at
    my signature. Don't worry, its a free app. Turn on the "flashlight" in a darkened room and see the pattern
    on the wall. The light is supposed to be white, turning on all primary color components.
    With my phone, it shines 3 overlapping spots of light in red, green and blue.

http://www.the-wongs.net/chris/bb

Last edited by cwong15; 07-20-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by cwong15 View Post
    Speaking as a developer who has been messing around with the LEDs a lot, I would say that it certainly feels like
    there are 3 distinct color elements. Maybe the hardware has changed but it looks like the case
    with my old Curve 8320. Try this experiment: install my flashlight app ExtraLight from the link at
    my signature. Don't worry, its a free app. Turn on the "flashlight" in a darkened room and see the pattern
    on the wall. The light is supposed to be white, turning on all primary color components.
    With my phone, it shines 3 overlapping spots of light in red, green and blue.

Chris Wong's BlackBerry software

Alright, I'll try this when I get time.

But I just don't get how that works, though. If the two other bulbs overlap that first bulb, wouldn't be that hard to see?
    CrackBerry Newbie

I just got mine yesterday......and brought it back today for the same reason (led = offset)........so when I got another new one today.........that sob was the SAME way.........VERY annoying........it this normal ? Really ??
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Anyone ever think of 3 elements in one chip? That's the ticket.

CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by dagoberry View Post
    I just got mine yesterday......and brought it back today for the same reason (led = offset)........so when I got another new one today.........that sob was the SAME way.........VERY annoying........it this normal ? Really ??
    You PM'ed me about that, and a reply is sent. By the way, it's not offset. It looks like it because of the light sensor right beneath or beside it.