Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Just a red light?

If I remember rightly, I have a BB Curve 8520, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, it's about two and a half years old. I haven't had too many problems with it, but I'm having problems tonight.

I noticed last night that the battery was running low, but I didn't plug it in (no charger available.) The alarms went off as normal in the morning. Just before I left for work this afternoon, I plugged my phone into my laptop, because it seemed just about dead.

When I got home, I started poking at my phone. The only thing it did while plugged in was the red LED light came on. I unplugged it, and pressed the power button. Nothing but the red light. I did three battery pulls, but each one got nothing but the red light. I even tried plugging it into the computer without the battery, and all I got was the red light. The light stays on for a couple minutes, and then turns off. When I plug it in to the computer, it's off, so the computer doesn't recognize it.

I haven't downloaded any new apps in a long while (at least three months.) Honestly, I haven't done much but send texts, check emails, and make a few calls lately.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing as nuking my phone. The first thing I did was reread the nuked phone lecture. I did that about a year ago, but I got the white screen with the hourglass, and the repetitive attempts to reboot. This time, once the light turns off, it doesn't come on again until I do something like press the power button. I really would like to fix this myself. My service provider is run by, uhm, idiots (nicest term I can think of right now) and I can't remember if I bought an extended warranty or not. I poked around on the forums some, but I couldn't find a definite answer for what's going wrong, or even a way to fix it (since I can't seem to access the phone's files through my computer.) Is my phone a goner?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menarae View Post
    If I remember rightly, I have a BB Curve 8520, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, it's about two and a half years old. I haven't had too many problems with it, but I'm having problems tonight.

I noticed last night that the battery was running low, but I didn't plug it in (no charger available.) The alarms went off as normal in the morning. Just before I left for work this afternoon, I plugged my phone into my laptop, because it seemed just about dead.

When I got home, I started poking at my phone. The only thing it did while plugged in was the red LED light came on. I unplugged it, and pressed the power button. Nothing but the red light. I did three battery pulls, but each one got nothing but the red light. I even tried plugging it into the computer without the battery, and all I got was the red light. The light stays on for a couple minutes, and then turns off. When I plug it in to the computer, it's off, so the computer doesn't recognize it.

I haven't downloaded any new apps in a long while (at least three months.) Honestly, I haven't done much but send texts, check emails, and make a few calls lately.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing as nuking my phone. The first thing I did was reread the nuked phone lecture. I did that about a year ago, but I got the white screen with the hourglass, and the repetitive attempts to reboot. This time, once the light turns off, it doesn't come on again until I do something like press the power button. I really would like to fix this myself. My service provider is run by, uhm, idiots (nicest term I can think of right now) and I can't remember if I bought an extended warranty or not. I poked around on the forums some, but I couldn't find a definite answer for what's going wrong, or even a way to fix it (since I can't seem to access the phone's files through my computer.) Is my phone a goner?
    Take the battery out, wait 1 or 2 minutes, plug the phone to the wall charger, wait for the battery icon to pop up, put the battery back in, press the red button like you normally would and let the phone sit. Come back in like 10 minutes and see how it is.

Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:
    Menarae (11-14-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you! It worked!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Almost 3 months later and after me having helped you, guess who has (almost) the same problem

My battery was on 5% and I decided to install theme from App World... After installing it and trying it the phone kept showing me the hourglass, and then it turned off due to low battery... Now I plug it into the charger and the red light comes on, and the it goes off and then the battery icon with a yellow bolt through it shows up and nothing but that is omn the screen and this happens every time, even when using the method that I told you about...

If someone with more experience than me could help, that would be awesome. Should I try rebooting the OS? When I plug the phone to the USB desktop manager recognizes it, but then the connection fails...

If someone helped that would be amazing
    CrackBerry User

i wont believe this but try using a travel charger and wait just wait u have drainaged all of the charge
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

The phone has been charging for nearly a week and still nothing. I have done all kinds of things and it still doesn't work-