| | 12-07-10, 06:28 PM Thread Author #1
Install OS 5 - T-Mobile Blackberry 8520 [without Blackberry services/data plan]
After a lot, and I mean A LOT of digging around, I finally found a way to update a T-Mobile BB 8520 to OS 5. This is especially useful for people in foreign countries (without T-Mobile):
1) Have the Blackberry desktop manager:
you can update for your desktop manager or download it free from blackberry website. I had V.5.0.1
2) You should download the firmware you want to install. It is better to download from blackberry website. It does not matter what carrier you use you can download any of them.
3) After download, install the firmware. But DO NOT run the Desktop Manager just yet.
4) Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
and delete vendor.xml
5) Now run your Blackberry Desktop Manager.
Go to Application Loader. Then select Update Software.
After it starts, examines your phone etc it shows you that it's recommended to update to OS 5 BUT when you want to continue it will say "no update needed" or "you should be subscribed user to update", at this point DO NOT CLOSE THIS PAGE
Note: This part is crucial. Do not close the above mentioned page.
6) Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
and run loader.exe NOW, WHILE above BBM is displaying the mentioned page.
7) In the list choose what you want to install. (Here you will see that the Blackberry OS 5 is ticked already)
8) Complete your install (it take some time (for me around 5-10 min)
9) Then your device will restart, and for it's first run, it takes some time to boot up.
10) Now you have OS 5 on you Blackberry. You can check it on menu>settings>about
NOTE: This is NOT going to help you connect to Wi-Fi (browse the internet through WLAN), because even after updating, it really will not work unless you have a data plan with T-Mobile. So for people in foreign countries...that's as much as you'll get. I haven't found a solution for the Wi-Fi problem yet.
Thank you for your time.