CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default HELP! What does this "crosshair" icon mean?

So, I've had my BB for about 6 months and couldn't be happier with it. I used to only have to charge it up every other day but now something has changed. Now it won't hold a charge for more that 12 hours before the battery runs out (even if I don't do anything with it) and a strange icon has appeared in the upper left corner right below the time. It looks like a white cross hair with three little lines coming out of it. What does this mean? Is it related to my battery drain?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts

It is your GPS indictaor. If lines are coming out from the "cross hairs", that means that your GPS is turned on and would cause your battery to drain over time.

Simply turn it off if you are not using it. The 'cross hair" icon will stay, but no lines should be indicated.
    Last edited by JoeDirt2217; 10-22-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    "Life's a garden, dig it"

OS 5.0.0.419
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts

I have absolutely no idea what that icon is, but one thing is for sure...

if you have an 8520 (as this is the 8520 forum) or an 8900 (as it says in your details), that icon has nothing to do with GPS.

The 8520 doesn't even have GPS, and the 8900 has no such icon for GPS.

Also, you say this icon appeared in the upper left corner below the time

The time is in the top middle... the profiles icon is in the upper left.
    That's Phill with 2 L's
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,503 Global Posts

Uh Phil. That is the GPS icon. I don't know what you are looking at but joedirt is correct. GPS icon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    30,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

GPS is active, and with a nod to the above, any function causes a battery to drain over time. Including time.

When you see the 'waves' coming from the side of the crosshair you are also in E-911 coverage.

CrackBerry Wiseguy

Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts

Well... I apologise if I'm wrong but I've never seen such an icon on my BB's

Are you guys paired to external GPS devices?

I don't use my 8520 for GPS as I have no software or external device, but I do use the built-in GPS on my 8900 often and have still never seen this 'crosshair' icon...

...and what is this 'E-911 coverage'?

Please enlighten this confused Brit
    That's Phill with 2 L's

Global Posts
    30,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

E-911 is Enhanced 911, the system in the States that allows emergency operators to determine your location when calling for help.

I have called in from an accident scene, and the operator could send emergency units to my location rather than having to ask me where I was.

The gunsight or crosshair symbol is (in the states, at least) the common symbol that your GPS location is active on mobile phones.

Last edited by BergerKing; 10-24-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Global Posts
    30,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

Here's an example for you Phill, a screenshot I took for an example for someone. Note the symbol in the upper left of the screen.

CrackBerry Wiseguy

Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts

Thanks very much for the info BK.

Still confused about that GPS symbol though. Does it only appear if you are paired to an external GPS device, or does it show when the in-built GPS function is being used... or is it just a US thing?

The reason I ask is that this is the 8520 forum and the 8520 doesn't have in-built GPS. My 8900 does however have in-built GPS, but I haven't seen that symbol when using it.
    That's Phill with 2 L's