Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Hard resetting a BB 8520/30

If you're on 5.0...and you do a hard reset...does it take you to factory as if 5.0 was factory or does it revert back to 4.6, or does it get bricked? I need to take my phone in and it's on 5.0.0.610...but if they see that, they'll say i voided my warranty AND my insurance and wont do anything, prob is my screen lens is coming off and i need to get it done, instead of spending my own money, i figured i'd use the insurance since this is a known design flaw. I already made a backup of my phone so i'm not worried of anything being lost.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkwell
    And how do you hear noises from it?

has an audio snoop so acute that it can hear "a mouse fart at two thousand feet."

I've lost my pin...can i have yours??
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts

The only way to get back to 4.6 if you have upgraded to 5.0 is to remove 5.0 and reinstall 4.6. First make a backup of your personal data. Then use CrackUtil to perform the "resettofactory" function. That will remove the current OS from your device and leave it blank and inoperative. Then you can reinstall 4.6 from your PC and restore your backup. CrackUtil is available from the link in my sig.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

Red face

A hard reset being what exactly? A battery pull? Nuking it?
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Hard reset meaning taking back to NIB settings basically...i went up to .509 one time, hated it, and downloaded 4.6 from Tmo's site and just uploaded that to my phone (as if doing an upgrade) and it worked the same way, but this time when i do it, my phone will be connected to my computer, and during the downgrade, it will restart my phone (obviously) and my computer will automatically disconnect my phone and then the downgrade will have a fatal error (luckly doesnt brick it) due to the phone "not being connected"...maybe i'll try on my laptop, that's what i did before. I'll give ur way a go tho
    Quote:

has an audio snoop so acute that it can hear "a mouse fart at two thousand feet."

I though hard resets were battery pulls and soft resets any other (powered) reboot mode.

Factory resets, as the name indicates, get the device back to factory specs (of whatever is installed).

But I can always be wrong...
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts

The word "reset" is too ambiguous as we usually use it. That's why I didn't use it in my response in post #2. Your definition is the generally accepted version, but since a battery pull would not accomplish the OP's objective, I stayed away from the reset terminology.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Now, if I use the CrackUti...will it turn my BB into a paperweight and then allow me to reinstall the OS and intall my backup as if i never did anything to it after i bought it? I have 4.6 downloaded and set up on in my C://Program files/Common files/RIM/AppLoader to run as a normal load, so when i wipe my berry clean, will it destroy my PIN that my comp will recognize, or is that going to stay?
    Quote:

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts

CrackUtil won't affect your pin. It will turn your phone into a non-functioning, OS-free device, ready for you to install the 4.6 OS. Once you're done, there will be no way to tell you ever had 5.0 on your device.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Talking

thanks! now i feel comfortable knowing my pin number will not be affected.
    Quote:

CrackBerry Newbie

Default How to Factory Reset

Hi
    I have a very strange problem. I had a BB Torch which i did want to use casue of some issues. So i backed it up and restored onto a 8520. The issue is that now the 8520 is stuck. Only the 6 Icons on the initial screen work i cant access any other icons or menu
    What to i do, i think ideally i need to do a factory reset. Is there anyway i can do a reset with out accessing the menu, i have tried battery pullout, soft rest Alt+Right Shft+Del etc no change
    Pls help

regards
    kevin
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

Use BBSAK on a computer to wipe the device. Then start over.