CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    274BF297
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default EDGE connected but can't browse the internet.

I own a BB Curve 8520. I have EDGE connectivity on my phone. BIS connection says 'Mobile Network'.
    But when I open the browser is get an error saying "Unable to connect to internet, please try again later."

My browser settings are set to 'Internet Browser', Data Services are set to 'On.'
    Also, when I open applications like Twitter I get an error saying "Failed to transmit."

I can't understand where the problem is. Please help.
    Pin : 274BF297 Add me !
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Do you have EDGE or edge? The case is really important. I think you have EDGE because you have a browser.

edge means that the phone has detected the edge data network but cannot login and use the BlackBerry Information Service (BIS) this will stop you being able to use most internet services, BBM and email service.

EDGE means that the phone is now logged in and can use the edge network. This is goodness and means that BIS is available. Full internet and email should now be available.

One thing to try is to resend your Service Books (what??). Service Book are small files that are sent by BIS (provided by your carrier) that enable and configure various BlackBerry data services under the BlackBerry dataplan (BIS).

To send/resend them from your phone, go to Options, Device, Advanced System Services, Host Routing Table. Once there, press the Menu key (the button with the Blackberry dots on it) and select Register Now.

You should see a message saying Registration Message Sent and an email (if you have set it up and it's working from BlackBerry with the subject of Registration.

This should fix any problems PROVIDED the carrier has correctly set up you BIS dataplan.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    274BF297
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Hi Pete6. I have EDGE in caps. I have already tried re-sending the Service Books and I did it once again. I got an email this time too, saying my handheld is registered with the wireless network. But still no luck.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

This is odd. Have you perhaps set the APN fileds in Options, Device, Advanced System Settings, TCP IP ?

If so try removing these settings.

Do apps like Google Maps (www.google.com/gmm) work?

You may need to call your carrier for help here.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    274BF297
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Nope. APN is disabled too. Also gave my service provider a call. Those geniuses say your BIS plan is active so internet and BBM should work. There's a problem with your phone. :|

Google Maps shows up an error - "Application requires a data connection..blah blah."
    Facebook app also gives an error saying "We cannot reach the Facebook server.."

But for some reason when I launch those apps, that little arrow starts going up and down. That means there is some data transfer. Then why can't I browse the internet?!
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,691 Global Posts

Pull the battery?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    274BF297
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Yup. Tried doing that too. Still the same problem.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Pull the battery?
    Was just gonna say that.

If the carrier says that BIS is working, the OP gets a Registered message, and sees EDGE but the browser does not work then, I am suspicious of an OS problem.

The OP has tried the ubiquitous battery pull so now about the only thing left is to reload the OS or, to return the phone under warranty.

It's up to petfrog what he wants to do. Personally if he can invoke the warranty, I'd do that. However if he wants to reload the OS we can halp him through that process too.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    274BF297
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I am not sure if I can invoke the warranty as I lost the bill of the retail store where I purchased the phone from.

I do have a stamped note though stating the invoice number and the date of purchase. I'll try to invoke the warranty first.

But if they don't accept it, I'll just reload the OS.

And it would be great if you guys help me how to go about doing that.
    CrackBerry Newbie

please my bb torch 9800 is showing me big Edge but nothing is working,when i try to download any app, the message appear on d screen cannot grt new token due to device offline state.(error id:40760)but my i can download bbapps with the help of wifi.....somebody please help me.....
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Do you have data access from your service provider?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by petfrog View Post
    I own a BB Curve 8520. I have EDGE connectivity on my phone. BIS connection says 'Mobile Network'.
    But when I open the browser is get an error saying "Unable to connect to internet, please try again later."

My browser settings are set to 'Internet Browser', Data Services are set to 'On.'
    Also, when I open applications like Twitter I get an error saying "Failed to transmit."

I can't understand where the problem is. Please help.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Post question

please, i'm having a BB 8520. 2nd hand... the phone was browsing before.. but since I changes the sim inside, to connect with the internet has become a barrier for me. please what can cause this and what can I do to make the phone browse. any brainwave ?