Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    T please...and some peanuts!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Do you charge your BB only when the icon is red?

Well, I guess this is a silly question but anyway.. I always wait until my battery is almost dead before I put my BB on charge.. Sometimes I even avoid connecting the device to my computer as many times as I would like because I don't want to mess up with the battery
    Paranoid?

So tell me, keeping in mind that I don't want to buy a new battery any time sooner (or later ) should I keep this beaviour or there's no problem with connecting it to my PC as many times as I like?

TIA

Paranoid.

The battery on the BlackBerry does not suffer from memory or addictions, so feel free to keep it topped. Some people even say it likes to be charged.

Did I welcome you to the forums? I don't remember, if I didn't, then I'm doing it now.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by diegonei View Post
    Paranoid.

The battery on the BlackBerry does not suffer from memory or addictions, so feel free to keep it topped. Some people even say it likes to be charged.

Did I welcome you to the forums? I don't remember, if I didn't, then I'm doing it now.

lol, yeah, maybe I'm paranoid but it seems to me that it's just an ordinary battery just like any other..

thanks for the welcome and the response, I especially liked the part "Some people even say it likes to be charged".

cheers mate.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,182 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me for BBM pin.

I charge mine every night whether it needs it or not.
    http://twitter.com/Wackostu Pearl Flip>8520>9300>new 9300 (bad trackpad)>9900>iPhone4S +Playbook

"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." .....Tony Stewart

You cant hold no groove, if you aint got no pocket!.... Bootsy Collins

Bass Playing Blackberry/iPhone Addict Club Charter Member
    CrackBerry Abuser

Draining batteries until they don't have a charge actually damages the battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Quote Originally Posted by iMiiTH View Post
    Correct. These Li-ion batteries do not like to be drained. Check Welcome to Battery University in the Li-ion section for lots of information. Better to charge often and deeply for maximum battery life.
    Bits--C000C6078 for links to world news and views, technology and science postings.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask :)

These Li-ion batteries are much better being topped off regularly, there is no memory effect. Ideally 40-60% is best for battery life if you want to keep it topped off around that area, if not stick it on charge over night (charger cuts off).
    Addicted and proud!

BlackBerry 8520 V5 + Cowon S9
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

I charge mine every night, and leave it plugged in when I go to sleep. I unplug it first thing in the morning. Then I wouldn't charge it again for the rest of the day.

Note: I'm a heavy user...
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2245BF2C

Quote Originally Posted by mangcool View Post
    I charge mine every night, and leave it plugged in when I go to sleep. I unplug it first thing in the morning. Then I wouldn't charge it again for the rest of the day.

Note: I'm a heavy user...
    +1!! Haha! I just leave it to charge overnight and i wont need to charge it again throughout the whole day untill i reach my room at night. Sometimes I stay out till 4am and the battery meter is around 1 or 2. People complain about battery life alot but i dont see anything wrong with it!

Wes
    Follow me on Twitter @WesSunday
    #TeamFollowBack. #IFollowBack. #FollowForFollow.
    If I dont follow back immediately give me some time, I might be busy.
    Or Tweet for me and I'll follow you once I receive the Tweet!

Remember to take a look at the Crackberry How - To's/101's
    - Wes
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ask me!!!!

I'm like mangcool, I charge overnite every nite whether it is dead or not, and on heavy usage days I plug it in periodically. I also know people don't like the battery life, but I've always had a smartphone, so I've never thought anything else about it lol.

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Ok, so if I keep connecting and disconnecting my BB from the PC everytime I'm away from the machine it won't damage my battery life right?
    CrackBerry Genius

Depends on where I am I would charge it before it turns red. I also have a car charger.
    I top up charge when need arises
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    CH me I MUST be dreaming!

I plug mine into my charger when I go to bed and unplug it when I wake up in the morning regardless of how much battery it has left
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by WesSunday View Post
    +1!! Haha! I just leave it to charge overnight and i wont need to charge it again throughout the whole day untill i reach my room at night. Sometimes I stay out till 4am and the battery meter is around 1 or 2. People complain about battery life alot but i dont see anything wrong with it!

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Betharina View Post
    I'm like mangcool, I charge overnite every nite whether it is dead or not, and on heavy usage days I plug it in periodically. I also know people don't like the battery life, but I've always had a smartphone, so I've never thought anything else about it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CipherDias View Post
    I plug mine into my charger when I go to bed and unplug it when I wake up in the morning regardless of how much battery it has left

This has just proved that BlackBerry addicts think SO MUCH alike!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon Request

I just plug mine in every night before i go to sleep regardless of what % it is at.
    When in doubt-> Battery pull
    Get a droid-> Problems solved!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts

I actually don't charge mine overnight. I plug it in when I wake up (7am) and then by 9 it should be done. I'm a pretty heavy user myself and I always have 2 bars left. Only once did I reach the yellor bar, and that was because I didn't charge it in the morning. I don't use wifi though.

CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

I put mine in the dock overnight. I start using my BB at about 7am and end up at just under 40% by 11pm with moderate to heavy use.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    965 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iMiiTH View Post

This, if you use your phone daily then it's a good idea to charge it every night, I usually charge when the meter is halfway or less. Redlining it too often can hurt battery's longitivity.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Just Askkk:):)

i dont charge mine every night. guess you can say a little paranoid about my battery also, despit the fact of all the things i read saying that it wont affect it, and yadda yadda teehee. guess thats just me. so i only charge it at night right before bed and by then before i turn out the lights i take it off and put it in standby and its good for the next day and half. hehe. without it going into the redd.

No overnight charging here as well. I charge it to 100 whenever I know I'll be away from a PC/wall for over 3 hours. If that's not the case, when it reaches 2/5.

Auto on/off enabled, if I charge before going to bed, I still have around 94% when I wake up 8-9 hours later.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask :)

I plug mine in to charge every night also, habbit .

No nasty surprises then!

Would love a charging pod for my 8520, going to take a look...
    Addicted and proud!

BlackBerry 8520 V5 + Cowon S9
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Hi hi

I like to charge whenever but what bugs me is this: doesn't the front led glow red when its fully charged?? Because it seems hit or miss that I actually see that red light come on to tell me when its full.

I guess I can go into the options>status to see that the battery is 100% but it really worries me that the red led isn't doing that for me. I had figured that the red led was an indicator that the battery is telling that "ic chip" built into the charger to stop sending charging current because I'm full!

My guess is that when you don't touch it or if its off, that the red led will show, but if you are using it, there is another way to tell?

How do you all tell the bb is full? The electric bolt over the battery is not showing?

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

I'm in the camp that charges every night and throughout the day. Since my 50+ friends only know how to text and not call, I probably get 100+ texts a day and that will put a drain on the battery, not to mention that I keep on WiFi and bluetooth throughout the day.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeofarabia View Post
    Hi hi

I like to charge whenever but what bugs me is this: doesn't the front led glow red when its fully charged?? Because it seems hit or miss that I actually see that red light come on to tell me when its full.

I guess I can go into the options>status to see that the battery is 100% but it really worries me that the red led isn't doing that for me. I had figured that the red led was an indicator that the battery is telling that "ic chip" built into the charger to stop sending charging current because I'm full!

My guess is that when you don't touch it or if its off, that the red led will show, but if you are using it, there is another way to tell?

How do you all tell the bb is full? The electric bolt over the battery is not showing?

I've never seen the LED turn red when my phone is done charging. The little lightning bolt just disappears and that's when I know it's done.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JRF_8520 View Post
    I've never seen the LED turn red when my phone is done charging. The little lightning bolt just disappears and that's when I know it's done.

Ok than ya! Cool that's what I'm gonna do from now, not worry about discharging it first

I did notice the thing can get to full charge rather quickly! like 2 hours and its full no matter how low

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast