Just bought a pre-owned 8520. I have successfully got it working with my SIM card from previous phone, got all my contacts on it etc. I have also successfully got it onto my home wifi and can surf the net, log in to My eBay BUT when I go to Orange home page nothing happens when I click on to 'check my email' ( I use orange web mail) If I try to access my Hotmail account I get the error message that the password is wrong. What is going on, is the 8520 programmed only to use subscription email services or what?
    11-22-12 10:23 AM
    Do you have a BLACKBERRY Data Plan?
    11-22-12 10:54 AM
    I'm new to this BlackBerry lark. Why would I need a data plan, which no doubt isnt free, when I can get my emails over the net for free?
    11-22-12 11:07 AM
    I'm new to this BlackBerry lark. Why would I need a data plan, which no doubt isnt free, when I can get my emails over the net for free?

In order to use a BlackBerry device as intended, one must have a BlackBerry Data Plan. Call your carrier.
    11-22-12 11:12 AM
    I think I need to clarify things a bit. As a retiree I do not need to get my emails while I am driving etc. What I cannot understand is why, when I am at home, using my broadband via my wireless router I can access my orange webmail account on my PC, my laptop and my wifes iPad but not from my BlackBerry, when all other internet functions on it work.
    Why do I want to access emails from my BlackBerry when I have other means available? Short answer we go on breaks, usually to hotels with FREE wifi access so it would be easier to take the BB than even a laptop or iPad. Also when my wife is reading ebooks on her iPad I could check emails on the BB.
    11-22-12 01:27 PM
    The simple answer is that BlackBerry devices work differently than other devices. You need a BlackBerry Data Plan to access email (even on WiFi).

If that's not in your plan of action, then a different device may be better suited for your situation.
    11-22-12 03:30 PM