CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BlackBerry Curve 8520: OS 4 or OS 5 ?

Hi;

I recently got given a BlackBerry Curve 8520 as my new work phone. Now, I'm used to the Bold 9780, which is my personal phone. I suppose after being spoiled by the Bold, I'm finding OS 5 and the Curve a little hard to live with in terms of performance (time taken for apps to do....well, almost anything really) and the Web browser. It's the Web browser in particular that I find especially poor - it's so much slower than the browser on the Bold, to the point where using 2G on the Bold is usually actually quicker than looking at the same page using Wi-Fi on the Curve.

Now, my question is: if I were to down-grade the Curve to the latest-available OS 4 (which the BlackBerry Desktop software gives me as an option), would my overall experience be better, or actually even worse ? In particular I'm thinking of the time taken for the browser to load pages, the overall page rendering experience, and app responsiveness in general.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome. I realise fully that the Curve will never approach the Bold in terms of performance and the browser experience due to the fundamental difference in spec between them and the bold being able to run OS 6, but if downgrading the Curve would actually help, it's something I'd be willing to try.
    CrackBerry Genius

I am very much in the same position apart from just changing my own phone to the 9900.

I run the latest os5 on the 8520. Version 5.0.0.1074

This seems to be really reliable, you will never get the speed or quality as you get from
    the Bold but at least it runs well.
    Bold 9900 with BL 7.1 BL Ultimate RC21
    Blackberry Z10 with OS 10.2.1.2947 Official os
    Berrylicio.us Staff Member
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Hi;

Thanks - I'm thinking OS 5 probably is the best bet, but just wanted to see what other folk's experience has been, particularly with OS 4 which I've never even seen let alone used. Does anyone else reading this have any thoughts on how OS 4 is likely to perform compared to OS 5 on a Curve 8520 ? I'd be especially interested to hear from any long-term OS 4 users who upgraded to OS 5, and whether they were happy they did so or in fact regretted it (and if so, why).
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA

Might see if there is a version of Opera Mini that'll work. Should be a lot faster on that hardware.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    686 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by southlander View Post
    Might see if there is a version of Opera Mini that'll work. Should be a lot faster on that hardware.

Yes I agree, OM is a quick browser. Set it up with low quality images and turn off Java script. That makes a huge difference. Good luck.

2.0, 7.1.0.340.