Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 8530 - Hangs and Battery Life

I have a brand spanking new 8530 that is four days old. I only had time to charge it and load apps before I left home to travel. I have since spent the past 3 days in the North Carolina mountians. There is no Sprint service so I have been roaming for 3 days.

Battery Life: I noticed my battery does not last more then a few hours. I thought it may be me using it so I charged it up and let it set there. After 4 hours it was dead. Does roaming cause the battery life to shorten or is there an issue?

Hanging/Slowdowns - When I use my 8530 every minute or two the phone hangs for a few seconds and does not respond to any inputs. After those seconds pass I can continue to use the 8530. I notice this "hang" occures when the up and down data arrows flash in the upper right part of the screen.

I had the previous Curve and had no issues with it. Do any of you have any suggestions or inputs?

- Radio and Data are always on
    - Upgraded to latest Blackberry software
    - Apps - Pandora, BeBuzzed, BeWeather Free, Opera Mini
    - Sync'ed to Hotmail email and calander

Thank you,
    Rudy
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

What os are you on? Just recently someone old me they were on the newest os and they were still on .459 ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    PIN
    3155A14B

It takes about a week or so for the battery to condition. I've had my Curve for 3 days now and my battery isn't nowhere near as bad. I've been playing with it a lot WIFI and everything. At the end of the day I've had 30% left. When you say roaming do you still have a signal or are you searching for a signal? I fly regularly and if I forget to turn the connection off on my storm the battery would drain really fast from searching for a signal. I'm sure this phone is the same.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RudyR1999 View Post
    ......I have since spent the past 3 days in the North Carolina mountians. There is no Sprint service so I have been roaming for 3 days.....Does roaming cause the battery life to shorten or is there an issue?

..... I notice this "hang" occures when the up and down data arrows flash in the upper right part of the screen.

I had the previous Curve and had no issues with it. Do any of you have any suggestions or inputs?

- Radio and Data are always on
    Yes searching and roaming shortens battery life GREATLY; no there probably isn't an issue. I suggest you either stay away from the Carolina mountains, turn the phone, or mobile networks off if you do travel in the mountains and don't need to use it,......... or you carry several charged batteries .
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Current is whatever the wireless software update upgrades to. I belive .459.

I'm in a lodge/resort in the mountians. So I am in the same area and the signal sticks with the same roaming network.

Does anyone have any responce on my hang/slowdown issue?

Thank you,
    Rudy
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

Not sure... Maybe try to make sure your not running too many background apps, and maybe try switching to a simpler theme if possible. Your phone searching for the home network could also be cutting battery life and using processing speed.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

i had the same issues with my brand new 8530. but then i installed a hybrid os. havent had any issues since then. however, my daughters 8530 is having the same behavior, when she gets home i will upgrade her os too.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    i had the same issues with my brand new 8530. but then i installed a hybrid os. havent had any issues since then. however, my daughters 8530 is having the same behavior, when she gets home i will upgrade her os too.
    Link to the hybrid you used?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Try the verizon .508 .. I also have a hybrid its by dukesds15 and it is available at BBHybrids Forums - BBHybrids - Home my battery was better on .508 than when on .459 and with the hybrid its amazing and my internet speeds are blazing!

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

im using Dukesds15 Hybrid V4, its based off the .508.

8530 hybrid v4
    CrackBerry Newbie

hi what is the hybrid os? I have sprint too and the battery started bad but is getting better, is .459 the highest os now?
    how do i load it on t my phone and not lose all my files and stuff on my phone?
    Last edited by cscooby0912; 04-05-2010 at 10:37 PM.