Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 8520 Keyboard Not Responding

My keyboard on my 8520 will not respond! you can press 'alt@ and the indicator shows but it just doesnt press any buttons, when it does decide to work it is so tempermental and laggy, if i press the space bar in a text, it just continues to go along even when i am not pressing it, i have a feeling it is an OS issue however when i plug it in to my laptop to update it, it says there arent any new updates available.

At a loss at what to do as i am a technophobe! Any at all help will be grateful.

I am currently running on OS 5.0.0.592

if anyone could provide me with the link for a newer OS software and an '***** guide' on how to do it id be very appreciated, cheers
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts

If you haven't tried rebooting, do that before anything else. Remove the battery, leave it out for a few seconds, then put it back. That will clear most odd problems. Trying to upgrade the OS with a malfunctioning keyboard is a sure way to make matters worse.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    If you haven't tried rebooting, do that before anything else. Remove the battery, leave it out for a few seconds, then put it back. That will clear most odd problems. Trying to upgrade the OS with a malfunctioning keyboard is a sure way to make matters worse.
    done that about a million times, ive taken it out, and left it for 3 hours and put it back in = same problem. If i upgraded it would it not fix the issue? as the keyboard could be at fault due to an old OS
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts

Upgrading an OS is an easy way to introduce new and unknown problems. I never recommend it as a way to try to fix a malfunctioning device. I haven't used an 8520, so I can't tell you if the current OS version is better than what you have installed. Newer is not always better. If you want to try it, the current 8520 OS and instructions for installing it are linked at the top of this forum.

Before I took that step, though, I'd consider what has changed since the last time the phone was working properly. If you installed a new theme or app, try removing it. Check your File Free to make sure you have at least 8 000 000 bytes free.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Upgrading an OS is an easy way to introduce new and unknown problems. I never recommend it as a way to try to fix a malfunctioning device. I haven't used an 8520, so I can't tell you if the current OS version is better than what you have installed. Newer is not always better. If you want to try it, the current 8520 OS and instructions for installing it are linked at the top of this forum.

Before I took that step, though, I'd consider what has changed since the last time the phone was working properly. If you installed a new theme or app, try removing it. Check your File Free to make sure you have at least 8 000 000 bytes free.
    Would downgrading the software create the same problems, do you think?

Im thinking about just doing a Factory reset on the phone, but im not sure if that will solve it.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts

Doing a factory reset doesn't change the OS that's installed. It will remove all your apps, and might solve the problem. I'd try deleting the last app installed before I went that far.
    Thanked by:
    Jos2610 (05-03-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Doing a factory reset doesn't change the OS that's installed. It will remove all your apps, and might solve the problem. I'd try deleting the last app installed before I went that far.
    Ive done that too! haha, i deleted all the apps i had on apart from a security one, Twitter , facebook and BBM. But these were the first apps i downloaded, and ive had the phone around 15 months,

Im currently downloading the lastest software to see if this solves the issue, fingers crossed it does!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,323 Global Posts

It's not your OS. The contacts under the keyboard membrane need to be cleaned very common 8520 problem. A technician can fix it in a few minutes for you.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 9000 (brief) > 9530 (Ugh!) & 8900 > 8220 > 8120 > 8520 > 9550
    > 9000 > 9700 9650

BB tech: Got a problem? Feel free to PM me.
    Thanked by:
    Jos2610 (05-03-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Bajanbastard View Post
    It's not your OS. The contacts under the keyboard membrane need to be cleaned very common 8520 problem. A technician can fix it in a few minutes for you.
    Have you came across this problem before? Id do it myself but id Void the warranty on my phone if i did
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,323 Global Posts

Yeah many times before as I said very common with 8520s.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com