Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 8520: Initialization Failed

Sometime this afternoon or evening (between 1pm and 8pm) my phone went from recognizing the network (TMo) to "initialization failed". I did not reset the phone in between, and it had been working fine for months (since the last time I reset it) prior.

I've read other threads where people had this problem with RIM Curves, so I thought I would try wedging a piece of paper above the SIM card (as I had seen suggested in other threads). This did not work at all, I wasn't able to even get a piece of paper in there with the SIM card in.

I have rebooted twice now, each time I have pulled the SIM and re-seated it but it made no difference, I'm still seeing "initialization failed" at the top, and SOS in the top right.

TMobile is an awful, terrible, lousy, (words I shouldn't use in polite company) network where I live. Their coverage is an insult to swiss cheese, and the map on their website is an insult to dishonesty. So yes, I see SOS a lot - usually right after the (words I shouldn't use in polite company) network drops my calls. However this is the first time I have ever seen "initialization failed".

Is there anything else worth trying? I will be in town tomorrow, in an area where I do get reliable signal, so I will be able to tell if it is just that our shady signal has finally gone away completely.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

I also noticed that if I turn off the mobile network under the "manage connections" utility - but leave wifi and / or Bluetooth on - it still says initialization failed. I suppose this supports the SIM card being bad but I can't imagine how it could spontaneously die in my pocket.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Indeed the problem in my case was the SIM card itself. I took my phone to T-Mobile, and they gave me a new one. They said my old SIM card was so screwed up the device they have to copy the card's contents over to a new card couldn't even read it.

How exactly it went form working fine to that, in my pocket, in a matter of a few hours or less, I have no idea. They mentioned that "older" SIM cards (like my old one) would go bad in 3G phones if they switched from 2G to 3G (and back) too many times, but since the Curve 8520 is obviously not a 3G phone, there is no reason for that to be the case. Now if it was the result of passing in and out of dead spots repeatedly, I could understand that, but I didn't do that in the time between my last call on the old card and the card dying completely in my phone.