Each to his own and all that but I cannot understand the obession with weather slots!!!
    All this complaining "boo hoo, my weather slot doesn't update on OS5 so I have no idea what the weather is like outside. How can I go on living if I don't know whether it is 8 degrees or 10 degrees?"
    -Just look outside!!

All you weather slot obsessors please explain why you REALLY need the current weather conditions on the home screen of your device. Also, when I actually think about the uses of my phone, I use it constantly but only cos I get messages,emails, calls etc. This means when I use the phone I am using the messages app or talking on the phone so I never see the homescreen. When I finish using it, I either lock it so I never see homesreen or I put it in holster, again, so as not seeing the screen.

I guess what I'm saying is where does this feature come into use? It makes no sense to me!

Anyone else have same theory or am I on my own?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-10 06:24 AM
    I would have to agree, I like to check the weather every now and again but I do not feel it is as crucial as many would have you believe. I just use the weather app in Snaptu, serves me just fine.
    05-16-10 06:39 AM
    Well, since almost EVERY other device has an updating weather app/widget, why can't ours have one? Too bad the Blackberry has some common features missing that you need to purchase or find free apps. And to me its not as much "boo hoo, my weather slot doesn't update on OS5 so I have no idea what the weather is like outside. How can I go on living if I don't know whether it is 8 degrees or 10 degrees?" It's more of a complimentary add-on that allows me quick access to current and future weather conditions, like reading the paper or watching the Weather Channel, but on the go. I see my app like if it was a widget. Just there when I need it. Of course I could put it in any of the first 6 slots and it would still work, but a weather slot allows having those 6 slots available for other more important apps, like the browser apps, social networking apps or whatever 3rd party apps there are that people use. That's how I see it.

05-16-10 06:47 AM
    i like to so i can quickly view alerts, high/low temp, current condition. We get strong t-storms and especially during hurricane season it's good to have watch and warnings alert me to lightening, flooding, winds, TS, hurricanes.

The wx changes so quickly here in FL that having it always displayed, and updated, on the home screen is great. i also like BeWeather's GPS feature for when i'm traveling.

Boo hoo

05-16-10 06:49 AM
    Yea, florida is crucial on weather, I use it for the "feels like" more than anything else. Just because it might say 70, doesn't mean it is, feels like could be 90. Let's me know if I want to look outside or not lol.

05-16-10 08:23 AM
    Yes! Good point and so true. The other day here the temp was 90 but the heat index was 107! i also use it for humidity and barametric pressure readings since i get bad headaches from those.

i wish BeWeather displayed those on the BlackBerry home screen though.
    05-16-10 08:27 AM
    I agree. Is the weather that slot that big of a deal? I just use it as my extra app slot anyway.
    05-16-10 01:48 PM
    Simply put, when you pay $10 for an app its nice for it to have its own little spot on my home screen.
    And when it takes a mere 5 minutes to add an extra slot and recompile the theme it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to ask for one, considering more then enough people would like it anyways.

Plus most developers ask for feed back, asking for a weatherslot is simply feedback, obviously people like them because they almost always get made, used and asked for.

05-16-10 02:10 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it won't take long to add one when developing a theme.
    My point is that you know the weather outside if you have the god given ability of sight. Therefore you would use the app to see the future weather and so does it really have to be a homescreen icon when you won't need the app anywhere near as often as some of the other msg/bbm/browser etc features.
    I can see the point of a weather app, just asking whether it is soooo important for it to be on the homescreen!
    Don't be offended guys!

05-16-10 02:43 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it won't take long to add one when developing a theme.
    My point is that you know the weather outside if you have the god given ability of sight. Therefore you would use the app to see the future weather and so does it really have to be a homescreen icon when you won't need the app anywhere near as often as some of the other msg/bbm/browser etc features.
    I can see the point of a weather app, just asking whether it is soooo important for it to be on the homescreen!
    Don't be offended guys!

That really is the point right there. It's important for it to be on the homescreen because because it provides quick access to weather updates. The point of a weather app is weather updates. Why else would Apple, HTC, Nokia, SE, and others make phones with weather widgets, shortcuts, apps on homescreens? While I don't pay for a weather app, I do feel it should have a place of its own, while not taking up the spot another igually important app could be using. But, like you said, to each his own.
    And, true, nobody should be offended

05-16-10 02:53 PM
    I'm another one who doesn't want or need weather apps. I watch it on TV late nite and/or early morning and plan my day by that. However, in Wisconsin, we do have tornadoes frequently thru the spring and summer, and I would simply look on the local TV station website if I need urgent updates.

If the TV station goes off the air during a severe storm, then I guess I look out the window and listen for the sirens - then decide to go downstairs or not.

*shrug... everybody's situation is different. I don't need one and do just fine without it.. JMHO*
    05-16-10 05:43 PM
    I'm another one who doesn't want or need weather apps. I watch it on TV late nite and/or early morning and plan my day by that. However, in Wisconsin, we do have tornadoes frequently thru the spring and summer, and I would simply look on the local TV station website if I need urgent updates.

If the TV station goes off the air during a severe storm, then I guess I look out the window and listen for the sirens - then decide to go downstairs or not.

*shrug... everybody's situation is different. I don't need one and do just fine without it.. JMHO*
    I grew up in Fort Worth, Texas and we had a tornado once. It was beautiful but destroyed a few homes and businesses.

05-16-10 11:44 PM
    Seriously. Why does this thread exist? Some people like the slot some don't. Does the OP realize that not everyone works in a place where they can look outside at will? If you don't like a weather slot on your theme, don't download them, if you don't wanna put one in a theme you're building, don't. Aren't there much more important things that should bother you than this? The OP just screams "Forum Troll"....just sayin
    05-17-10 07:12 AM
    I agree with you. I don't get what's the deal with the obsession with weather slots.
    I'm not trying to say "weather slots sucks" but I mean, so what if there isn't a weather slot on your homescreen?
    You can just easily go to your menu or simply move it in the dock.

I just think that with or without a weather slot, the main part is that you enjoy and appreciate the theme instead of think about the weather slot all day.

Now, don't get me wrong! I'm not against weather slots or anything, I love weather slots, but just don't get why some are so obssesed. Lol.
    Don't be offended guys!

Adeline.

05-17-10 07:13 AM
    i know with the theme i'm using, the wx slot allows me to have the high/low temp, or whatever else i set, permanently under the icon. My regular icon slots don't have that feature. It's kind of like the weather reading it my car that always shows. It's handy to have it always on.

05-17-10 07:26 AM
    It is just a personal preference!

05-17-10 07:40 AM
    I dont like weather slots but if you can scroll on them then it is good as another extra icon on the home screen
    05-17-10 08:01 AM
    For me, a weather app is crucial, I don't really care if it has a special slot.

I live in Oklahoma City, we get lots of really big tornados. As far as using my sight, I work in a building that has no windows. I can't 'go look' every time I want to know what it's like outside.

We have special weather alarms in the building that go off for tornados, but they don't tell me if I need to grab my umbrella to get to my car at lunch time.

A theme with a weather slot usually means more icons on the home screen which means I can just look at my home screen. It's helpful for me, but not a dealbreaker for an awesome theme.

05-17-10 11:05 PM
    i would prefer if all of my themes had a weather slot truthfully - i always have weatherbug up on my phone, and having it on the main screen without having to scroll through everything to get to it is soo much easier and nicer. looks like a real home screen. thats why i like all of drew's themes

(also FL weather is SUPER weird lately, so i like to know about the rain / heat all the time.)
    Last edited by DispatcherGirl; 05-27-10 at 04:48 PM.
    05-27-10 04:43 PM
    Living in a place that can look 80 degrees outside while really being 50 helps me decide whether to take a jacket to lunch when I'm working or going to work. The weather changes constantly where I live as well so its nice to get the updates right on the homescreen. I agree that its a personal preference for everyone...if it bothers you in a theme don't download it.

05-27-10 08:16 PM
    living in a place that can look 80 degrees outside while really being 50 helps me decide whether to take a jacket to lunch when i'm working or going to work. The weather changes constantly where i live as well so its nice to get the updates right on the homescreen. I agree that its a personal preference for everyone...if it bothers you in a theme don't download it.

Posted from my crackberry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lol exactly!
    05-27-10 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD