I posted this earlier but I don't see it so I will try agian.

I downloaded the new storm theme for my 8320 curve from TheZman site. when I go to open it ,it says that windows cannot find the program to open the file.

I have search Google to no avail it is a COD and AXL file and all I find are websites that let me clean my register when I put in google.
    any help would be great. I am running Vista
    11-08-08 10:09 PM
    Have you extracted the zip?
    11-08-08 10:11 PM
    You need to install the theme via Desktop Manager. See the link for more detailed info.

BlackBerry 101: The Basics of BlackBerry Themes | CrackBerry.com
    11-08-08 10:12 PM
    I was having the same problem.. thanks
    11-08-08 10:30 PM
    It says its a zip but win I click on it says that is a COD file and windows can not open it "do you want windows to find what prograam to open it through the web? "

I do that and it says program can not be found

I tried to do it through desktop manager but it won't let me either
    11-08-08 10:31 PM
    You dont click on anything in the folder you downloaded first, open it, then extract it, then you are done with that first folder.

Open DM, app loader, browse, find your extracted folder, click it, click on the .axl, it will show up in DM, then click next.,
    11-08-08 10:38 PM
    I tried to do it through desktop manager but it won't let me either
    It helps if you can explain why it didn't work. Did it complain there was no software installed?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/expl...e-found-15204/
    Last edited by sunkast; 11-08-08 at 10:43 PM.
    11-08-08 10:40 PM
    You should be able to open dm-connect to your bb-open app loader-browse to the containing folder- and click the .alx file to open.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 10:41 PM
    Extract the zip first...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 10:58 PM
    You dont click on anything in the folder you downloaded first, open it, then extract it, then you are done with that first folder.

Open DM, app loader, browse, find your extracted folder, click it, click on the .axl, it will show up in DM, then click next.,
    Did this

It helps if you can explain why it didn't work. Did it complain there was no software installed?

Yes I did post this in the post above you.

I downloaded the new storm theme for my 8320 curve from TheZman site. when I go to open it ,it says that windows cannot find the program to open the file.

Ok update I got into my desktop manager now it says.

warning were encountered during the loading process
    The following moduals were not permitted to be loaded by your adminstrator
    the it gives the storm theme

Do I also need the ALX file also to load that? could that be the problem?

Oh and thanks for the help guys
    11-08-08 11:06 PM
    You NEED to axl file, thats the one you click on to load.
    11-08-08 11:13 PM
    You aren't following any of the instructions we are giving. You really need to read that link I posted for you. It explains in detail how to install themes both using Desktop Manager, and Over The Air(OTA).

BlackBerry 101: The Basics of BlackBerry Themes | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by sunkast; 11-08-08 at 11:17 PM.
    11-08-08 11:15 PM
    First I do want to extend my thanks for the help but you must not be reading my post I have done everything you have asked . Downloaded file click on it to EXTRACT and it will not extract it says what I posted previously second I did get into my DM but there 2 files one is the storm theme COD and the storm theme ALX the ALX will not go into my DM.

third what does this mean

First you will need to have the appropriate operating system (OS) for your device loaded on your PC. Once loaded, find the blackberry.alx file. It will generally be found here:

well where is here? how do you get to there?

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files/8830-v4.2.2.176
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and how do you do this? In the command prompt? I did that and it did nothing.

Again thanks I know it is frustrating when it is probably so simple but it frustrating to me to
    11-08-08 11:35 PM
    That part of the guide deals with unlocking vendor themes. This is completely different than installing a theme. It has nothing to do with what you want. Did you read the rest of the guide?

Let's be clear about where you are at in accomplishing installing a theme since there is a TON of misinformation here.

You have it extracted/unzipped so that you have both the COD and ALX file in a folder?
    You have launched Desktop Manager and opened the App Loader to load the ALX file?
    11-08-08 11:48 PM
    The file will not unzip!!! I have winzip 12 and it keeps saying the same thing as I posted I don't have the program to open it maybe we start from there
    11-09-08 12:11 AM
    Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.
    So when I click on the file it says that it not reconized and I can have windows search for it on the web. when I click ok it takes me to this page and says this.

File Type: Unknown
    Description: Windows does not recognize this file type.

You may search the following Web site for related software and information:

* Windows Live Search

You may purchase or download software related to this file type from the following Web site:

* Windows Marketplace

Have questions? See these Frequently Asked Questions.
    11-09-08 12:18 AM
    Here's what is confusing me about your situation as far as I understand it...

You have downloaded the zip file and attempted to unzip/extract the files, but when you double click on the file you get a message saying windows cannot find a program to open it. But then you start talking about COD/ALX files. This is what is zipped inside of the zip file. So that leads me to believe that you did unzip the file to get the ALX/COD files. Then you would use Desktop Manager's app loader to load the ALX and install the theme.

It sounds like you have unzipped the zip file and are double clicking on the COD and ALX file. Which would make sense in getting the windows has no program for this file type error.
    11-09-08 12:20 AM
    Ok I did get into my DM and went to upload using the app loader when it was done this is what it said, now mind you it only said storm theme on the app uploader it did not say anywhere or anything about the ALX.

"warning were encountered during the loading process
    The following moduals were not permitted to be loaded by your administrator
    then it gives the storm theme"
    Last edited by Mrnew; 11-09-08 at 12:32 AM. Reason: missed spelled word
    11-09-08 12:29 AM
    May ask which file you chose to load? The zip, cod, or alx? Only the ALX should be loaded. Loading either zip, or cod will fail.

Also, did you get this phone new from the carrier?
    11-09-08 12:36 AM
    Ok update it is in my up loader at the very bottom I clicked on the details button and is say's C:\users\Carl\users\curve_storm.alx so it is in there its just not letting me load it as it gave the warning that I posted earlier.

So now that I got that part down How do I get it to let me load it?

again thanks.
    11-09-08 12:39 AM
    Did you get the phone new or used? Was the phone given to you through work or used for work? Do you know if you are on BES?
    11-09-08 12:42 AM
    I got this phone new out the box from the T mobile store I had 3 pearls that all took a crap on me so they gave me one from the store. I tried to download something from the web once on the phone and had something similar happen and asked a question about it here(the forums) and I was asked the same thing someone said that it may be locked? due to it saying that I didn't have administrators permission.

could this be true and if so how do I remedy this.
    11-09-08 12:46 AM
    Try this. When you go to launch Desktop Manager, right click on it and choose Run As Administrator. Then try loading the ALX.
    11-09-08 12:49 AM
    tried that same thing happened
    11-09-08 12:53 AM
    Do you use your phone for business?

On your BB go to Options > Security > General. Scroll down to Services:.

What does it say above and below that line?
    11-09-08 12:58 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD